The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp Sims
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 6:50 am    

Anyone using/have used an amp sim in their process?

Useful? Under what conditions?

Any recommendations?

h

Bob Womack

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 9:34 am    

I use modelers in the studio and on stage, if that is what you mean?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 9:57 am    

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-amp/

This is good.

RC

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 11:27 am    

VST Plug in.

h

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 12:16 pm    

I'm using an "Amplifire" for live and recording. Modeling has come a long way.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 2:06 pm    

I have used a few sims including Amplitube 4, Bias Amp and Guitar Rig 5. Most of the presets on these are overdriven, crunchy and overabundantly processed to be useful in my projects, but if you take the time to mess with the knobs, they can all do a pretty good job of getting a realistic amp sound. The gain knob is usually the first thing that I go for and turn it down. I like a clean tube amp sound with a touch of effects to emulate a mic'd amp in a room.
I have found that FOR ME, Guitar Rig takes the least amount of time to get a good tone and the GUI is easy to use.
Yes, sims are useful - they can make a dull DI track sound amped and alive.
The best reason that I can think of to use them is that you can record a dry guitar track and try many amp/speaker/effect combinations in your mixes.

Bob Womack

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 4:59 pm    

I've come up through the Line 6 stream since and currently work on the Helix floor. I've been amazed how things have progressed in the interface and sound. Still and all, I've got my pile of old and new amps. They just get less use these days.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 5:31 pm    

Just for clarity. I'm curious about a VST plug In to be used in conjunction with a DAW.

h

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 5:51 pm     Revalver 4

Howard,

Revalver is a VST that includes many amp models, pedal effects and is free.

It was developed by Peavey and is now available through Audio Media Research's web site.

It normally gets good reviews and is up to version 4.

https://www.audiomediaresearch.com/revalver-4
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 6:01 pm    

Thanks Jim. Are you a user?

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:10 pm    

Howard Parker wrote:
Just for clarity. I'm curious about a VST plug In to be used in conjunction with a DAW.

h

The Positive Grid link I posted above is VST.

RC

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 5:19 am    

Many thanks folks. I suspect I'll take the dive after a tad more research.

h

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 1:39 pm    

Howard,

I use an earlier version of Revalver and also use an amp sim called Amplitube by 1KMultimedia. I've also used a few "generic" amp sims that I've found on the internet.

The idea behind all of them is the same, take an unprocessed "dry" signal and add color to the signal to make it sound like it was recorded through an amplifier. The most common dry signal is a direct input from an electric string instrument like an electric bass, guitar or steel but the signal can be any sound like a brass instrument, vocal or even an acoustic instrument! The amp sim plugin may include simulations of pre-amps, amplifiers, speaker cabinets, microphones or even room ambiance.

An electric instrument plugged directly into an audio interface, mixer or console generally sounds strange because our mind is used to hearing them electrified. The amp sim colors the sound like an amplifier does.

The fun of using one is you can try out different combinations you would otherwise never be able to try. Ever wonder how your instrument would sound when played through a vintage, fully restored, 1950's Fender tweed amplifier through a 15" bass cabinet? Just dial it up! How about a multi-thousand dollar boutique amplifier sitting on a four 10" cabinet? Get the idea?

Few of the plugin developers want to spend the money to license use of the name of Fender, Vox, Marshall or other well known hardware manufacturers. Those that do proudly display the manufacturer's name as that is perceived as validation that the plugin sounds like the original. Those that don't use cryptic names like clean, tweed, British Distortion and so on. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out exactly what amplifier is the reference but, as long as you like the sound, who really cares?

They can be a lot of fun and can enhance a recording.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 6:57 pm     Thanks

Thanks Jim..

Appreciate the feedback.

h

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 1:00 am    

Jim gives a nice description of the GLOBAL picture. I have a few amp sims including an early version of Fender Amplitube. Its very kool indeed. For me, heres what happened, I started spending WAY TOO much time seeking a sound I knew I wanted, then that grew into trying other things, other sounds, all the while knowing what I wanted . So my actual tracking came to a halt.

So I went back to OLD school. I know what I want, I know what I have, so I plug it in ahead of the preamp, ahead of the DAW. Its as simple as a Telecaster with the Sparkle Drive or maybe an EQ ahead of the DAW. OR maybe the GIG amp/pedal setup. Set your sound ahead of the DAW , press the red button and play . Print to the track they call it.

Yep , many will say, but now you have a track that can't be changed. Right, I don't want to change it !

A couple of scenarios. We don't know what we want, then we use the amp SIM and experiment. WE DO know want we want ,get it done ahead of the DAW TRACK and let it fly.

OF course if we have a few amp sim settings that we like and have used now and again , SAVE them and use them .

AMP SIMS are and can be fun , but they can be also be a distraction . For me, the best part of an AMP SIM is that it is a processing effect on a DAW track and can be changed , or deleted ! Very Happy When I used them for song tracking , I always reverted back to a direct plug-in. For experimenting though, they can't be beat.

That being said, Pro Tools 12 and probably later versions in the effects BIN under Harmonic, has Eleven Lite, which has a few and SANS AMP which is chock full. Probably a hundred variable presets. Various amps, players, clean, not clean etc... Very complete. Every bit as good and complete as Amplitube. You can spend days in this BIN alone !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website