The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wondering if there are any others like me?
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 3:52 pm    

Back in 1969 I was a school teacher. June 11, 1969 I was drafted into to the United States Marines to fight the Vietnam War. Still have horrible memories from that experience. I recently looked up how many were drafted into the Marines during the Vietnam War, and the number was a little over 42,000. That got me to thinking, are there any of that 42,000+ drafted Marines on this Forum? I know it is a crazy question, but I keep wondering.

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 4:31 pm     Wondering

Keith, No I was a lucky one. Finishes school in 67, Wasn't drafted ,but my brother was there for a year.Had several friends who went,several didn't return.From me to you and all who went Thank you for your service. Larry

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 6:20 pm    

One of my Best school buddies was drafted in to the marines. And yes he made it home,
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

John Butler

Warrior River, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 7:25 pm     Any more like me

Very interesting Keith. I don't know anyone. But I always thought that all draftees went to Army. I finished high school in'66 and joined the Air Force, spent '68 at DaNang. Good to hear from you.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 5:12 am    

I was drafted in 1969. There were 20 or so in our group. When we got to Albany, NY on a bus they told us they needed 3 to be Marines. I don't remember if anyone volunteered or they were just told they were chosen, but 3 of our group left to be Marines. I did my two years in the Army and came home.

Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 5:20 am    

To all you guys who served in one capacity or another, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 5:26 am    

I wasn't drafted. I enlisted in the Air Force Feb 1955. Basic training at Sampson AFB, Geneva NY. It wasn't the Marines but my basic training instructor was an ex-Marine and we did a lot of things the "Marine way". Spent a lot of time on the drill field, obstacle course, tear gas chamber, etc.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 5:49 am    

Keith..Was due to be drafted in '66 and opted to join the Marines beforehand. I was fortunate to be one of the few who survived his tour, out of a basic training platoon of 110 men, approximately 30 of us made it through.

Bob Womack

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 6:04 am    

Thanks for serving your country and us!

I grew up expecting to serve and was willing but as a guy born in '57 I missed the war, then the draft, then registration, and then the opportunity to serve. The war and draft ended in '73 and they stopped draft registration with my class in '75. By then they were separating their excess troops from the service as fast as they could and weren't really interested in volunteers.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 6:16 am    

Thank you for your service. While being inducted In 1966 (Navy volunteer) saw a few draftees picked for the Marines, one guy went nuts.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:19 am    

Keith, 1969 St Louis, when I was drafted they lined us up and went Army, Navy, Marine in that order. No other selection. I got army because on where I was in line. Never sent me to Vietnam but I had no say so in that. Luck of the draw.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:45 am    

Yes, Larry, Luck of the Draw! I went to the induction center in Kansas City, there were 180 guys to be inducted. 10 guys and me were inducted into the Marines. One guy started crying, but that did not help his situation.
I got to thinking, I might be the only person on this forum Drafted into the Marines during the Vietnam War. There are 50+ States, with 42,000+ drafted into the Marines. So that would mean less than 1000 per state. Figuring how few steel guitar players their are per state, I may be the only person on this forum who was drafted into the Marines during the Vietnam War. I have PTSD from the terrible memories and horror of it all.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:50 am    

In 1968 I was going to be drafted but joined the Navy, longer term of 4 years but no fox holes. I was going to teach school but when I got out in ‘72 the market was closed. Sub’Ed for 4 years and it got worse, so worked in a machine shop for 6 months which lasted 33 years. Got to play steel almost every weekend for 47 years so all was not lost.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:55 am    

Interesting postings here..Lots of water under the bridge.
I wasn't a marine, but I did join the USNR in my Junior year in High School (1951). 6 months later I was activated, finished boot camp and went to Korea on a destroyer. Left the Navy in 1954 and joined the USAF and spent most of the time in Michigan at Selfridge AFB. Got out in 1957. Missed the Viet Nam conflict. Don't remember if they called that a war or not, but Korea was called a police action. When we came home, no one even knew we were gone or where we went to or what we did.

Bob Womack

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 9:23 am    

i recall from the book, We Were Soldiers Once and Young the excellent thought that the first group of Airborne Cav guys to go to the Vietnam War to fight in the Ia Drang Valley in Nov 1965 went to fight for their country. When they returned, they found that the country they had left was no longer waiting for them.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 12:23 pm     Wondering

Keith, Reading these post, much info about "the luck of the draw" and others expressing how they were picked arbitrary for their respective branch of the military ,and where or how that influenced where they are today prompted this second post..... My wife of the last 30 years joined the service in 1967 and ended up in Selma ,where we met and later married. Next best thing that happioned to us. We owe in part to Uncle Sam.Again thanks for your service ,not forgotten at our house.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 2:01 pm    

My thanks to all who served!

A buddy and I went to enlist in the Coast Guard, but the recruiter wasn't available and we didn't go back. i had 2 draft physicals and being a beanpole, they said I was 3 pounds too thin. The second time it was 6 pounds. If they had said so, I would have gone in but at that time I was not going to beg them.

Those were difficult times. Can't imagine what some of y'all went through. Sad

Gordon Dodson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 2:59 pm    

I was drafted in 1971. At the induction station in Montgomery, about every 5th or 6th name called was drafted into the Marines. The rest, including myself, were drafted into the Army. I spent one year in Long Binh Vietnam.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:50 pm    

Am I going to wind up being the only drafted Marine on this Forum who served in the Vietnam War? Looks like I just might be the only one. Kind of a strange feeling. Like the guy who got struck with lightning and wondering why me Lord?

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 9:13 pm    

Keith I am always happy when my phone rings and I see your name come up on the display! Thank you, and your brothers in arms, for everything.

Doug E "mudcat of her memories".....!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 7:56 am     Just a point!

There are dead Marines and there are live Marines, but there is no such thing as an ex-Marine. Once one, always one!

MSgt. DR Sexton, 1962/1992, still a Marine, forever a Marine. Semper Fi!

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 9:36 am    

Dick, you got that right. Once a Marine always a Marine. Does not matter if you were drafted or joined, once a Marine always a Marine---to the end.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 9:38 am    

Respect.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 9:59 am    

I was drafted in 1969. After basic, I moved around a bit until I wound up in the 75th Infantry Rangers. They finally discharged me with a medical and I made it back home. I never left the country. So...... that's my story.

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 6:38 pm    

I was a Marine Corps volunteer from 1948-1950. Just missed the Korean war. Once a Marine, Always a Marine. So much that when Ford Motor Co. announced that they were going to have a Lincoln Corsair in their 2020 lineup,-I had to have one. Remembering the F4U Corsairs that I dealt with. I ordered one and got the first one that was delivered to my local dealer in December 1919. I love it.

[img]
[/img]

Semper Fi,-friends and brothers. Wally Pfeifer