The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone playing out anymore??
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 2:37 pm    

With this virus I don't see to many people playing out
Anyone playing outdoor gigs or small clubs

P.w

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 2:50 pm    

Somewhat to my surprise,my country praise band did 2 services a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea whether there'll be more. Commercial gigs are flat. Seems like some bands are rehearsing just to be playing something,but even there, my sense is they're desperately optimistic.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 3:12 pm    

One of the regular monthly gigs that my band plays, has started back up. Played a couple of weeks ago. Next gig is 8/15. Feels great to be at it again.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 3:51 pm    

Our band rehearsed tonight for a live stream on Facebook this coming Saturday. I'll post the link when I have it.

Boy, was I rusty! Despite having tried to keep my hand in during lockdown, when reality struck it was tough, as if complete chunks of my memory had been erased like a dodgy hard drive.

There's a possibility of an outdoor gig with an audience at some point soon, but what happens when summer's over?
There won't be room for any indoor music in the tiny venues we play, even if there isn't a second outbreak.

I'm looking forward to them discovering a vaccine that stops your mind going blank in the middle eight.

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 4:06 pm    

played a club on patio Fri night and played a campground Saturday night. Both outside venues. Had good crowds. So far still pretty booked up.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 5:17 pm    

Played a couple of outdoor private parties and some live streams from venues with no audience. A few overdub recording sessions where there is no one there but the engineer and me.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 6:24 pm    

I just did a gig tonght with my ‘49 Dual Professional. I have proof! Doing an online gig Thursday, too on pedal steel. And Sunday outside again, in VT.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 6:40 pm    

Clubs and music venues have been closed here continually since mid-March. On the upside, we've kept a better-than-average lid on the deaths compared to neighboring states. So there is that.

I've done one livestream from an empty theater.

Coming up next week, another livestream from an empty club and a studio session.

After that, that the gaping, black maw of nothingness. Gear will be for sale. I'll probably get into the insurance racket or something. Maybe learn to hang gutters.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 7:32 pm    

Dear Paul - My band leader Tall Paul is up to about a gig a week here in the South Burbs, for August. We have got outdoor gigs, the Firewater Saloon Aug 21, the Joliet Rock and Roll Museum Aug 14th, and Stray Bar in Frankfort Aug 7th. He just played the Naperville musicians hangout, Miss Kitty's on July 17; I guess he's got friends in low places.

PS - Keep re-furbishing those old Buds ! I have almost pulled the trigger at least twice on your guitars for sale.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 7:37 pm    

I played three gigs in July and I have another three in August... all outdoors, town concerts, breweries. Social distancing and masks. We don’t wear the masks on stage though because we’re more than six feet apart. Massachusetts has been doing very well the past couple of months.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 7:54 pm    

I am playing 3 or 4 gigs a week at Senior care centers. I am playing outdoors and it's pretty hot! This would have been my busiest season any other year when I was playing about 6 gigs a week. (I play a lot of Luaus and beach themed parties and advertise as a Hawaiian Steel Guitarist) I am listed with an organization called "Elder Audience" and I am the only Steel guitarist on their website.

The Nursing home, Assisted living and Retirement industry is growing like crazy. But they were all closed to outside visitors for the last few months due to the virus. Now some are loosening restrictions, and at least starting to hire entertainers again. (Mostly outdoors and social distanced)

August is booking up pretty good, now that the weather is nice here in Oregon. I am booked every day next week.

Since I play solo, the money is pretty good too.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 5:01 am     Anyone playing out anymore??

well it's good to know a lot of you guys are still playing out Very Happy in as for me no such luck it's been 5 years since i played out up in wisconsin. may be someday luck will come to me and i will get to play out in a classic country band
pretty slow around here. richard nice to here from you yes
still working on steels shobud's, msa. emmons, ect want to here more from you players.... stay safe...

p.w

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 6:13 am    

I’ve got two or three gigs a month scheduled mostly outdoors, don’t know about indoor gigs, time will tell.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:11 am    

My son has had a few recently. Some were outside. Otherwise very slow around our area 50 miles south of St Louis.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 8:10 am    

I've had four gigs the last month - all outside and, as you can see in pic below, well-distanced. We set up before anybody else got there, and we waited to haul our gear until everybody was gone. The first two were live-feed/recordings for arts festivals that had been canceled but where they decided to do live feeds of some of the music. The last two were outside live gigs under tent/gazebo to keep the 90+ degF sun off us. Audience was kept 30-50 feet away minimum at all times. Pic from the last one on Sunday - that's my new (to me) '53 Magnatone Triple 8 that I got from Anthony Locke:

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 8:43 am    

yes, outdoor gigs, many booked thru the end of the year.

OVer the last month I've played I think 4 gigs .

Small venues nothing inside. All end by 9PM.

Oddly enough all of our Summer Outdoor concerts have been cancelled by two venues. A 3rd Outdoor Venue just advertised that they are starting the Fri night Outdoor schedule mid to late Aug. We are not booked there.

All 3 venues are free to those in the area, easy to maintain safety protocols. All end by 9 pm which is well within the NC protocols, which seems to never end and change weekly.

The latest protocol says NO BOOZE after 11 PM, because people congregate. Apparently you can congregate up to 11 PM safely !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 30 Jul 2020 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 9:05 am    

Life in a hotspot here. No gigs and no rehearsals since March and nothing on the books. Just as well, AFAIC. Our band is Zoom meeting tonight to discuss how to keep together, and possibly conduct remote rehearsal on Jamkazam. Other than that, I’m trying to keep my very small business treading water.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 10:23 am    

Quote:
Anyone playing out anymore??

NO!!!

Ricky

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 29 Jul 2020 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 11:05 am    

I've had two outside gigs so far. We're playing this Saturday, outside of course. We've got two more outside gigs booked to do. Hopefully, some more will come up, but, I'm not holding my breath for them.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 11:58 am    

Played a few jam sessions {freebees} over the last few months. Have something starting Aug. 15th with a band I filled in with during the winter. They said they have two or three jobs a month, mainly semi-private lodges. That's fine for me. I don't need to be chained to my 20 string cheese slicer too much anymore.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 12:01 pm    

I played a gig last Saturday night at a BYOB and we had maybe 400 people there. It's been a long dry spell.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 3:21 am    

No audience gigs here yet, but the outfit of which I'm privileged to be a member is on Facebook tomorrow.

There was supposed to be an outdoor festival in June and to make up for it they're streaming individual acts over several nights. I have no idea what our contribution is going to look or sound like as it's been all solo artists up to now!

https://www.facebook.com/GlastonBeoley/

Friday 31st July 8.00pm British Summer Time.

I think that translates to noon Pacific and 3.00pm Eastern

Last edited by Ian Rae on 30 Jul 2020 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 5:56 am    

Yep, I am on a fairly regular basis, in Idaho. I live near Spokane Washington. But lately all the musicians and singers around my area are moving to private parties in Washington and then traveling across the border to Idaho. Played a gig last week in Bayview Idaho bar/restaurant with no social distancing or face masks. Everyone huggin and spitin too! I was the only one wearing a mask. A friend of mine is playing this weekend in Wyoming. He told me over the phone last night that people are ignoring the social distance and face mask policy. He says everyone around are without masks in stores and gas stations.
I am not in favor of this, so please don't say I'm part of the problem. I have been offered gigs, I have to pay bills! But it is a shame that Americans are not following health guidelines.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 6:33 am    

I've played 3 in the last 3 weeks. All outdoors and covered. The players were all about 8-10 feet from one another. The people were a good 30 yards from us. They were all restaurants that have an attached "Beer Garden". Places were full or looked full because of social distance between the tables. At least getting to pick a little. Made decent money too. Happy to pick!

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 11:22 am    

Over at my side of the pond I´ve done 6 gigs over 4 weeks time this summer. All outdoor. 2 on PSG and 4 on the bass. Pretty fortunate having those opportunities these days I guess.