The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel 101 from John Bohlinger on PremierGuitar.com
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 5:45 pm    

Simple introduction of pedal steel guitar to guitar players just went up:
https://youtu.be/HTjOif8Nbm0

Nothing new there for steel players, but might spark interest and hopefully sales to more guitar slingers. He's demoing on his Show Pro SD-10 4+5, by the way.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 6:43 pm    

Lotta wobbling there...legs must be loose.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 6:52 pm    

That was the one thing that made me uncomfortable about that video. I couldn't concentrate on what he was playing... tighten your legs, man! That guitar is about to collapse!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 3:59 am    

I usually respect his guitar reviews but I think he is too new for the job on this. All too often I catch beginners trying to explain or even teach when they have less than a full understanding themselves. While it's better than nothing, the wobbling and playing may discourage a new viewer.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 4:10 am    

I hate to be negative but his bar handling is bad.

Franklin

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 5:50 am    

John, I have a problem with his history concerning Sho-Bud...The first Sho Bud guitars were built in Madison in a house...Roberts was not where the guitars were made...Roberts is where the Sho-Bud music store was located...Harry Jackson would mostly repair guitars upstairs while the bulk of the inventory was built at I believe 8th avenue under the name of Music City Manufacturing until they moved over to 2nd avenue...Shot made Sho-Bro guitars upstairs at Roberts...These internet interviews can alter the history of instruments...Everyone should do more research or stay away from stating things as factual. I am doing my best. Sometimes It feels like a losing battle.
Paul

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:05 am    

Kudos to Premier Guitar for any positive pedal steel content at all! The instrument we all love needs all the mainstream exposure it can get....perfect or not.

I'm actually working on a video that addresses the cause of wobbly legs and why it's not always because they're not tight enough. I'll try my best to get it out sooner than later.

beginner, poor bar technique, loose legs or not...the only thing that made me uncomfy about the video is the camera position.....my neck hurts just watching John crane his in the vid.

Again kudos and thanks to Premier Guitar for the exposure!

Shawn Brown

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 11:03 am    

The steel appears so "wobbly" when he's playing it, it's not doing anything for the marketing of Show Pro steel guitars, with their name largely embossed on the pad. I hear however, they are excellent steel guitars.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 11:32 am    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
That was the one thing that made me uncomfortable about that video. I couldn't concentrate on what he was playing... tighten your legs, man! That guitar is about to collapse!

The wobbling and him craning his neck... not even John Bohlinger can make playing steel guitar look cool. Laughing

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 7:40 pm    

What Ross said the pedal steel just got some very good exposure I totally agree.

Last edited by Johnie King on 30 Jul 2020 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 6:10 am    

No wobble Guys it’s shift not wobble when a pedal steel player hits his knee lever stops hard something has too give!!! Ouch all the good brand new steels SHIFT. No matter if you weld your legs permanently too the end plates.

The x brace takes all of the shift out so you can stay dead nuts over the fret marker!

2 stainless steel welding rods 7/64 round
2 small turn buckles attached behind wing nut pedal screw.
2 aluminum small angle brackets

Last edited by Johnie King on 30 Jul 2020 4:43 pm; edited 8 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 7:34 am    

Or you could make a stand like Sierra did at one time.
It looked like the bottom of a Singer sewing machine. Whoa!
Erv

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 8:58 am    

It wouldn't be the forum if we didn't go down all the way down a rabbit hole. I'm as guilty as anyone...

Wobble aside, the bigger picture is that I think it's good that John made the video to try to demonstrate to folks the coolness and possibilities of the instrument.

We need some new players. Mostly, so I can sell them my old useless gear and buy new toys.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 9:59 am    

Last edited by Johnie King on 30 Jul 2020 3:33 pm; edited 3 times in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 10:06 am    

John Bohlinger is a really humble person

Jeff is building Johns Bohlinger daughter a gorgeous Sho Pro.

[/img]

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 2:55 pm    

Don't mean to get this thread too far off track, but...

Johnie King -- I've thought about an X-brace to prevent that annoying sideways shift and was interested in the pictures you posted. The upper attachment looks very straightforward -- How are people doing the attachment at the lower end? That doesn't show in either of your photographs. Do they hook up to the pedal bar or directly to the legs somehow? Thanks in advance for any info!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 3:23 pm    

Surprised Thomas I like your word SHIFT THATS NOT A WOBLE!
If you watch a video of any brand new best brand steel when a player push’s fast an hard on a knee lever you can actually see the cabinet give this is bad for the structure of the cabinet after years of abuse like this you could do what Bobby Seymour did drill a hole in each end plate front an back and use a screw an nut too hold the wood cabinet in the end plates.
Of corse Bobby would have told you it helps the tone of a push pull maybe it did.

Thomas if you get a chance Pm me I can send you some details pictures I got a better picture know an explanation. Thanks 😊