The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clinesmith Console Owners
Danny Roy

Calgary Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2020 8:10 am    

Good day, all!
As I wait for my Clinesmith Aluminum Cast lap steel to arrive in September, I started thinking about a console build to follow. There are lots of options, so I was wondering if any Clinesmith console owners here would “chime in” on their experience, options and what would you do differently if you ordered it again today.

Thanks!

Last edited by Danny Roy on 27 Jul 2020 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2020 9:27 am    

I got my D8 in February and only did one show before the lockdowns began, but I've been playing it a lot at home. I went with almost the base model (I got the raised graphic necks but no other options) and it works perfectly for my playing. The basic tone is similar to the cast aluminum model with the same Bigsby pickup, but somehow bigger. I wouldn't change a thing about mine.

Danny Roy

Calgary Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2020 10:50 am    

Great to hear Noah, as the aluminum or wood neck is a big dilemma, as I have no way of comparing them. How did you find the pickups performed and cut in a band setting?

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 3:53 am    

I can't really help with the neck, as both my console and the Clinesmith lap I had before had aluminum. Todd is good about explaining the differences in tone, though.

I use mine for a combination of clean and dirty sounds in a rock group with occasional folk & country influences. Probably not the most common style for these steels, but my console works perfectly for it. The pickups have an excellent frequency balance, warm but not lacking in the treble. They can fill out the chords or do searing leads with ease.