The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman Finger Picks ?????
FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 3:23 pm    

So what’s the deal why are so many of you folks so obsessed with JF finger picks ?
Where Jeffs picks superior over other brands and why?? Maybe if Paul Franklin private labeled picks they would sell off the shelf. Its great to be a well known steeler to capitalize. Wish I could.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 3:37 pm    

They suited the right hand technique that he taught.
I used them when I studied his method and they worked well.

I believe he was finding Nationals hard to get, so he made his own. I use Nationals now and find them much the same.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 7:08 am    

It is not "so much" the JF picks,,as it is the JB (Jeff and Buddy). I just ran across a couple of pairs of JB picks that I didn't know I had. Jeff and Buddy worked pretty close for a while,,then something happened I guess that they went their separate ways,,then Jeff stamped the picks with JF (Jeff and Fran). Same picks????,,,I don't know.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 8:50 am    

My understanding was, the BJ picks are chrome plated and the JF picks were not, accounting for the brighter finish on the BJ picks. ????

Nationals were always too hard to bend for me. The bands would make my fingers get irritated and bleed. The Newman picks have pre-bends in the bands that help with getting the bands bent comfortably.

Dunlops? No way! If they were the only picks still available, I would have to switch to playing bagpipes.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 9:14 am    

I saw the right hand alpha video. Jeff says that his fingerpicks are the same as the Nationals, except for the shape of the holes.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 10:12 am    

Who's obsessed? And who said they were superior? It's a personal choice like any other piece of gear. Use whatever you want and leave the rest of us alone.

Yes, the BJ's were a chrome plated version of the JF nickel silver picks. They weren't around for very long. I still have a pair of them here somewhere but the plating has worn off the tips.

The thing about Jeff's picks is that the blade was pre bent to his specs...the same as he would bend your Nationals if you attended one of his classes. He felt it was the ideal shape and saved the user the trouble of shaping the blade. I was one of the players that adapted my style to his recommendation. I'm glad I did and I wouldn't change that or my pick choice for anybody.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 10:36 am    

Jerry's right that whether or not you use the actual JF picks they are an excellent model to copy!

Bending Nationals to that shape is hard work but worth it.

Chris Willingham

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 11:16 am    

I love em for the pre shaped bend, blade shape and tone. Playing with anything else feels odds now. To each their own tho!

2021 MSA Legend XL Signature S10 5X6 brown burst
Beard Josh Swift Sig, the purple one
Lap King Rodeo
p2p Bad Dawg 1x12, Quilter TT12 and a bunch of fiddles

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 11:18 am    

I took to Jeff's picks like a fish in water. They fit me perfectly starting with the first pair.

Probably mid-90's at one of the TSGA Jamborees, Jeff came up to me after my set and said "Herb, show me your picks, would you please?" I was using Dunlop .025's at the time, so I handed Jeff my picks.

He promptly threw them across the hotel lobby, where they landed I know not. I hope he didn't hit anybody. He then handed me 2 JF picks and said, "here, these are your new picks. Go see Fran and get a couple more."

That was Jeff, as many of us may remember. Laughing

I use them to this day. Due to the Covid19 thing, my performing days are probably over, but even after getting stiffed a couple years back by the current owners of Jeffran, I do have enough JF's to last me the duration.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 2:31 pm    

Great story, Herb.
Yes, initially BJ's were chrome-plated, but I have some later BJ's that are not.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 3:01 pm    

They were just Nationals and you can get them at Amazon - he did not have anything special.

I will not say the rest - nuff said.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 4:35 pm    

well, Joe, you opened the door, so why not share? Jeff, Buddy, and Fran are all long gone, so no harm, no foul.
Are you saying BJ/JF picks were manufactured by national with different stampings?

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 5:28 pm    

Been using JF picks since the mid 90's also. I like their fit and the way they follow the contour of my finger tip. I like the attack they provide me with. I am sure Paul Franklin is using them also. Lots of us swear by them. The first time I used a pair of them I threw my old Nationals in the garbage!!!!! No comparison.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 6:09 pm    

Kevin Fix wrote:
Been using JF picks since the mid 90's also. I like their fit and the way they follow the contour of my finger tip. I like the attack they provide me with. I am sure Paul Franklin is using them also. Lots of us swear by them. The first time I used a pair of them I threw my old Nationals in the garbage!!!!! No comparison.

This ^^^

They are not Nationals. Kevin speaks truth to power.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 6:16 pm    

There are several things that are all made by the same manufacturer. Not only picks.

Strings for example, when I first heard about nickel strings vs stainless steel strings I simply laughed. In my back ground I work with many industrial companies. And saw this happen. What many people do not know is that what makes stainless steel - st stainless steel is nickel.

Yes there are very few pick manufacturers - there just might be a place called ABC stamping that makes them all. ABC is made up.

It happens in all industries including food. So just because it is stamped XTX or JEM does not mean it came from a different place (now before some one says something about the initials - I just hit keys) perception is a strange thing
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 12:57 am    

This seems relevant, a post on how picks get made, the secret sauce is those pliers

http://www.deanhoffmeyer.com/nationalpicks/hutchens.html

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 1:17 am    

I love my pliers Wink

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 9:38 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
I love my pliers Wink

Well, as long as you don't ply your love....

Razz