The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Demo vid of Scott Swartz's Steeltronics Z10 new ZB Pickup
Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 7:32 pm    

I've been coveting those triple tap Dual-Row magnet pickups in ZBs and wish someone made one that one fit my narrow mount Show-Pro's. Then searching the forum, I saw where my buddy Scott Swartz was making new models at 14k that could be custom fit for my mounting and string spacing. So I took the plunge and I'm extremely satisfied. A robust, dynamic, and responsive single coil pickup with no hum and a quick transient when you pluck a string. (Not to mention an even, clear tone with no compression or muffled high end.) It only took a couple of hours to take the humbuckers out, put the Z10 pickup in(which fit perfectly and all poles lined up with every string) only had to tweak the adjustable screw poles for the third, second, and tenth string. I feel like I'm hearing more of my guitar accurately and how it truly sounds. Which in turn helps the amp out, and makes me sound more like myself! My distortion pedals appreciate the lighter wind and sound sweeter and more natural than before. All single coils are unique, but Scott hit a homerun. I'll be purchasing more in the near future for my axes!

Quick E9th demo(dry and unmixed) https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ir4o57clmkzzwa/Steeltronics%20Z10%20final.mp4?dl=0

Pickup and Info Thread on Forumhttps://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=358649&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 4:10 am    

I've been looking at how to play that riff at 1:09 for a long time and you nailed it. Thanks for that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bradley Harper

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 5:09 am    

Pickup sounds incredible! And your playing is top-drawer as always Eddy!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 3:53 pm    

Gotta ask, Eddy: Why just string 10 on your C6 neck? New Nashville fad? Very Happy

Great playing!

I feel like you're a soulmate to the late Terry Bethel, and his wonderful approach to chords.

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2020 2:58 pm    

John McClung wrote:
Gotta ask, Eddy: Why just string 10 on your C6 neck? New Nashville fad? Very Happy

Great playing!

I feel like you're a soulmate to the late Terry Bethel, and his wonderful approach to chords.

That's quite a bar set! Laughing I wish, John. Terry was a unique soul and probably one of the most original steel players. I wish I could think like he did! Last time we sat down for a good while was when he and my neighbor Lynn Owsley said they were fixing some red beans and rice while trying to solve the world's problems. I told em' give me 10 minutes and I'll be there. You made me smile today, John. Hope you've been doing well! As for the string... I was too lazy to put a new set on. I'm down to 4 Daddario NYXL sets so I've got plenty for probably the rest of the year(maybe longer depending on the virus!) but I just didn't have it in me that day. I took it to an alternative indie/rock session the next day like that too, but ended up actually using it with a Mellotron pedal for some stout drones. The only reason why I had the E9ths on is because I just changed them a couple weeks ago and just loosened them to put the new pickup in.

Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 5:26 am     Steeltronics Z10

Would love to hear the Steeltronics Z10 pickup on an aluminum neck guitar.

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 10:43 am     Re: Steeltronics Z10

Andy Schick wrote:
Would love to hear the Steeltronics Z10 pickup on an aluminum neck guitar.

I'd estimate it'd sound just like the wood neck, probably a little sweeter. To me, the neck has just a subtle influence on the overall tone of the guitar. Every part down to the screws matter, but the main factor is in the hands, quality/type of raw materials, wood of the cabinet and how it's put together including thickness/length/width, and the changer's materials and how it mounts to the body. I think the aluminum neck sings or sustains a little more than wood, but the added overtones and mass of a woodneck thicken the tone making it more in your face. With the opposite of that...I think the reason for a little more streamlined sound from the aluminum neck is when it's screwed into the body properly with the right tightness it would sound similar to a guitar that didn't have any neck at all. (more vibration in the cabinet.) My next guitar I'll be starting on soon is an aluminum neck and I'll be putting these in there.

Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 11:37 am    

Thanks Eddy very much appreciated.

I can't seem to open the earlier "pickup and info thread" link. Wanting to find out more, price and availability etc.

Andy

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 1:19 pm    

Andy, there must have been a missing space and "Forum" got added on the front of the link, this one should work

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=358649&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My ad with final details and ordering information is here:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=358735

Danny Sneed

Morristown,Az.U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 7:15 pm    

Sounds great to me.really cool stuff.