The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Secondary Instrument
Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 8:27 am    

What does everyone think is the best secondary instrument? Lap steel, dobro, keys, mando, banjo, etc. I play guitar as well, but most groups I play in already have guitar players so I'm exploring other options.

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 8:38 am     Re: Secondary Instrument

Corbin Pratt wrote:
What does everyone think is the best secondary instrument? Lap steel, dobro, keys, mando, banjo, etc. I play guitar as well, but most groups I play in already have guitar players so I'm exploring other options.

For hobby bands, I am coming to learn more and more that it is percussion. For small acoustic folk/country music groups, percussion seems to be the afterthought and it is a great thing for a steel player to supply on songs that don't need steel guitar. For full electrified bands, finding a reliable drummer who is willing to play what the songs need seems to be constant struggle.

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 8:42 am    

Very interesting Curt. That never crossed my mind. I assume you mean shakers or tambourines?

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 9:29 am    

fiddle and/or mandolin.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 9:36 am    

Corbin Pratt wrote:
Very interesting Curt. That never crossed my mind. I assume you mean shakers or tambourines?

For the quiet music, yes that and the assortment of other handheld percussion instruments. I think having a cajon and knowing how to play it would really come in handy for those situations too. For the rest, I'm talking about learning to drum enough to be able to hop behind a kit on the fly.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 9:44 am    

Mandolin, I'm getting one very soon.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 10:29 am    

Fiddle

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 10:59 am    

Get a leslie/organ simulator... It's like a completely different instrument that is small and easy to carry.

A little bit of practice is required to play keyboard parts on the steel. (It's better not to mash the pedals) Just play backing chords and lines and all of a sudden you can be playing Jazz, Rock, blues etc.

I was able to get tons of gigs because I played through a leslie speaker and "could double on organ" when the song wasn't "country" or just didn't need pedal steel.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 11:16 am    

Percussion is a good, interesting choice. Bongos or conga. I wish I had a set up I could just bang away on sometimes.

It’s kind of dangerous to say around here, but banjo is an excellent choice imo. The picking hand technique is very similar, and you could leave your picks on. I don’t play one, but a banjo picker friend of mine once said, “it’s just a funny-sounding, funny-tuned guitar”.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 11:47 am    

Fred Treece wrote:

It’s kind of dangerous to say around here, but banjo is an excellent choice imo. The picking hand technique is very similar, and you could leave your picks on. I don’t play one, but a banjo picker friend of mine once said, “it’s just a funny-sounding, funny-tuned guitar”.

You're misspelling it. Over here, the correct spelling is "bango."

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 11:51 am    

Trumpet. Let me explain. In our band the bass player sometimes changes to acoustic guitar and I go on to bass. When we do Roxanne, I do a 16-bar jazzy intro on trumpet before I pick up the bass. Apparently this is the best thing I do. But they still appreciate my steel playing. Apparently.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 12:31 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Percussion is a good, interesting choice. Bongos or conga. I wish I had a set up I could just bang away on sometimes.

The other responses appear to be focused on instruments involving transferable skills. My comment about percussion is strictly based on what I have found is most likely to make you useful and welcomed for more casual playing.

Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 12:39 pm    

While a secondary instrument sounds fun in theory, unless you're getting paid for two player's cuts, schlepping twice the amount of gear isn't very fun.

This is from personal experience.

I usually say "pick one" to people who say I should bring more than one thing to practice or a show, and it's always keys/organ.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 12:56 pm    

I think what has the highest "utility" depends on the playing context.

Of course, guitar is ubiquitous - but a lot of steel players play guitar. And if you play pedal steel, why not transfer some skills to the nonpedal context?

But for someone wanting to be more versatile and marketable in a country music context, I'd definitely say fiddle. Good country/bluegrass fiddle players are hard to find. I wish I played, but with everything else I do, it's too late for me to start. And if you play fiddle and guitar, you might as well play mandolin since it's laid out like a fiddle and uses picking technique similar to most guitar players. And banjo does frequently creep into even mainstream country music.

Style-independent, I'd say bass and drums. I play enough of both to function at a basic level if I need to, and I think I know enough to evaluate whether or not I'm really dealing with a good bass player or drummer. To me, bass and drums are the key to a good band, at least in the styles of music I prefer to play.

But almost any mainstream instrument is worthy. Keyboards are the key to understanding music theory IMO. I did 8 years of piano before I switched to guitar. I can still play some, but have never really worked on it since. Woodwinds/brass like sax and trumpet (and many others) are generally welcome in many musical contexts. If I want to think about how to compose melodic solos, I listen to horn players. And to me, that's a good enough reason to learn an instrument - to let it channel you.

But I, personally, can only take on so many varied instruments without becoming a total dilettante. So for me it's guitar, steel, banjo, bass, and drums. I started to play mandolin in the 90s, but in the end, I prefer the others.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 1:08 pm    

Lap steel is a piece of cake. It may force you to work on slants, but that's not a bad thing. The rest of the techniques are virtually the same. It can be amplified to whatever volume is needed without feedback issues. And you can probably use the same amp. I just use the second channel on a Fender amp. It also doesn't take up much stage space. I just lean it against whatever is handy. My lap is not a high value instrument so a little road wear is not much of an issue for me.

Dobro requires more techniques that are unique to the instrument. Simple stuff is no problem, but if you want to sound like Jerry Douglas, good luck. The main problem I encountered with dobro is feedback. If the stage volume of the band is too high the cone starts oscillating and you're done. I've spent a lot of money buying the best equipment available and still can't use the instrument except with acoustic instrument oriented bands. Plus it's a lot of extra gear to haul.

As has been mentioned before, Banjo uses a lot of the same right hand technique as PSG, and you already have your picks on. I can get my banjo very loud and can keep up with almost any band. But it does involve bringing more gear to the gig. Banjo is heard in a lot of modern country music, if that's what you want to, or have to play. The power guitar still plays all the solos, etc., but the banjo is in the background providing texture.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 15 Jul 2020 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 1:33 pm    

I like Fred's suggestion - congas and bongos. Add the Irish Bodhran to that.

Chris Willingham

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 2:10 pm    

Another vote for fiddle! I'm biased tho Smile I'm usually playing at least three instruments on a gig. Lotta fun for the show. Sucks to haul everything, but I've gotten used to it.

It's really fun to take steel licks and move them to another instrument and vice versa. Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't, but it's opened up new, different ways of thinking, musically, for me at least.

2021 MSA Legend XL Signature S10 5X6 brown burst
Beard Josh Swift Sig, the purple one
Lap King Rodeo
p2p Bad Dawg 1x12, Quilter TT12 and a bunch of fiddles

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 2:17 pm    

I think it's pretty genre dependent- often steel is the secondary instrument. In my world, there's an assumption that if you're a steel guy, you can operate a dobro/lap steel as well, and probably strum an acoustic.
Generally, for utility person stuff- I'd say the ubiquitous Nord keyboard would be a smart move- synth/string pads, EP sounds, piano/organ, maybe percussion triggers.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 3:32 pm    

Curt mentioned the term “transferable skills”. Fiddle...? It is not an instrument a guitar or steel player can just pick up and start playing - at least not this one. Unless you already play, and play well, please don’t subject your band mates to the horrors of bad fiddle. “Bango” is definitely the much simpler choice.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 4:08 pm    

I'd have to say, harmonica. Easy to carry enough 'harps' to cover all keys plus a good mic to plug into the house mains. Besides, everyone enjoys a harmonica player, right? Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSQvsb2sFdE

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 5:09 pm    

Don’t we all play bass?

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 6:04 pm    

Quote:
Don’t we all play bass?

Maybe - but most guitar players don't play bass well. My experience, anyway. Dear Lord, please spare me from the guitar players who play lead bass in the context where a real bass player is needed.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 6:29 pm    

Plus, shouldn’t there already be a bass player in the band if you’re playing steel?

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 6:55 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Plus, shouldn’t there already be a bass player in the band if you’re playing steel?

Not always. Sometimes I'll do a semi-acoustic thing with a singer/guitarist and no bass player, but there might be songs on which a bass is needed more than guitar or steel. And I sometimes need to play bass when the bass player doesn't show up - mostly rehearsals but not always. My take is that bass is sometimes more important than steel.

There was a blues duo around here - harp and guitar - who actually preferred to call me to play drums than a real drummer. I'm not good enough to overplay. Ha! But I can keep time, and it was usually just snare and hat. I keep a bop kit set up in my garage.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 7:05 pm    

This particular forum is home to such talent, someone once joked that there are guys on here who play lefty bass, as a hobby.