The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Mustang Settings
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2020 4:45 pm    

I just took delivery of a Fender Mustang 1 v2 for my Fender Deluxe 8 tuned to A6 (that tuning could change to G6 or even C6, still working through that). Anyone else use the Mustang and have any suggestions for the optimum setting for that classic Western swing sound?

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2020 7:14 pm    

are you talking about the older modeling amp (like 5 years old?) I have one...I've had it for a long time and have never really made it sound very good. I've fiddled with making settings for it but ultimately it sounds pretty crappy. IMHO.

Jim Graham

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 2:19 am    

I have a "first generation" Mustang and have found some reasonable settings with the "Fender Twin" option but found this amp to be mostly useful for getting experimental sounds with a conventional guitar and the Fender Fuse computer software Fender supported at the time. I recently picked up a Fender Champion 20 and find it to be much more user friendly for lap steel and conventional guitar. The online manual for these has everything you need to know on one page(out of I don't know how many pages of electrical warnings, multiple languages etc...). Once I printed that one page out and spent a half hour experimenting I was good to go.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 4:01 am    

I had one and mostly stayed around the trad Fender sounds, it did a decent Blackface Twin.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 10:07 am    

Rick, I can't speak for the Mustang 1 because I have a III v2. That's a 100 watt Mustang but it sounds great on the Twin Reverb settings with some slight tweaking.
I can use it for Telecaster or pedal steel and have no problems getting great tone. The smaller Mustangs may have less speaker influence and lower power, which may result in poor tone.