The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Circle TV
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 7:57 am    

Launched Jan 1. JIC you don't know. It's country content from several eras, mostly music related with some other comedy, commentary etc.

It's available on regular digital TV. Check in your area. If you haven't found it, you might need to re-scan. There's a lot of good stuff...sound stage, hee-haw, opry backstage, Dailey and Vincent show, new artists and a morning talk show from WSM.

Right now I'm watching an older Live at Billy Bob's with Asleep at the Wheel when Big Jim Murphy was with them playing both fixed tuned and pedal steel...and Cindy Cashdollar sitting in with him on some tunes.

Check it out. It's the best thing I've found on TV. A blessing for those of us that don't have premium tv service.

Be aware though, there is a lot of earlier programming, repeats throughout the day and there sure are a lot of commercial breaks.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 10:08 pm    

It's on in our area. Channel 7.6 Washington, N.C. Yeah LOTS of commercials but some pretty good stuff too. At least you can see and hear a steel guitar frequently. They say they'll start carrying the Opry live in February.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 10:59 pm    

Apparently OTA (Over-The-Air) only right at the moment, unless your cable provider has one of the OTA channels.

The channel numbers on our Verizon cable here go up to 3802, there are probably over 2000 channels. And not one of them worth a damn, especially as far as music goes. No real OTA choices here either - hell, we're 50 miles from Altoona, over 80 from Johnstown, from which we get 2 OTA stations very weakly.

I haven't figured out to whom they're aiming this cable programming. Anything I would want to watch I can either get on my computer or for Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins, I'd have to go to a bar to watch. I might just as well use my TVs for target practice, and I would except my wife would just go out and buy new ones. ha.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 2:29 pm     Here's The Website: https://www.circleallaccess.com/

Bummer, it's not on a television station around here.

The network website has a look up box where you enter your zip code and they will tell you the nearest channels that carry the network.

The website also has a link to sign up for the network's mailing list.

I had a somewhat difficult time finding the right website. My search browser kept leading me to a wrestling league website. A midi December, 2019 article listed a network content teaser website that shut down December 31, 2019. Finally I ran across the correct website so here it is: https://www.circleallaccess.com/

The website indicates the network will offer live streaming sometime in Spring.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 2:44 pm    

Thanks for posting the website link Jim. I didn't think to add it. Sorry it's not in your area.

Locally, Over the Air station has it. It's one of the sub-channels on the NBC affiliate here. + Spectrum/Time Warner cable if you are subscribed to get the local channels through their service.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 5 Jan 2020 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2020 3:07 pm     It Looks Interesting I Hope It Grows

Jerry, the network looks interesting so I hope it grows.

I live near Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The two stations the website look up box gave me are located in Charlotte, North Carolina and Roanoke, Virginia.

The Charlotte station is broadcasting on low power until it's new broadcast tower is completed. The station moved to a new digital channel and had to replace it's tower, antenna and transmitter. I won't know if I can pick it up reliably until the work is completed sometime in the summer.

I've never picked up the Roanoke station but have picked up another Roanoke station once or twice.

The television market I'm in is 39th in the US with seven high power television stations and two low power stations. Maybe one will pick it up.

It's interesting the network is based in Nashville, Tennessee but none of the Nashville stations broadcast it.

By the way, here is Circle TV's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTP55ODgXQzmV7ICXS0H72A and an article in Rolling Stone magazine: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/circle-network-tv-lineup-opry-925237/

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 9:29 am    

I'm having a ball watching the old shows. The Hee Haw and Concerts, old Opry airings, seeing all the artists....trying to figure out who the musicians, particularly steel players are... which songs are mimed or sung to tracks.

Hearing some of the great artists, musicians and songs again that I haven't heard in years.

One thing that really jumps out is how the steel guitar was prominent, one might even say dominant, in these earlier eras.

The quality of the great songs and level of musicianship displayed so well it's easy to see why so many were inspired to take up the pedal steel from this, myself included. I so long for those days again.

If anyone wants examples of the real definition of country music, they should watch some of these older shows. They're reminders of what we once had and of what we have lost.

I didn't start playing pedal steel until the mid to late 70s, so I didn't know who a lot of the steel players were at the time.

It was nice to see Buck Owens with JayDee Maness on a couple spots, back when Don Rich was still around.

I'm beginning to recognize some of the players as everyone looked so different then and now.

Also the women's big hair, tons of it piled high, the guy's long sideburns and flare leg, bell bottom pants.

Guess I'm telling my age here, but I'm really enjoying these shows.

A couple caveats still overall, marathon commercials, lots of repeats. It just launched Jan 1, and already getting repeats of the WSM morning show with Bill Cody...still, lots of good country stuff and programming overall.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2020 7:57 am    

Saw some early Hank Jr., pre accident, singing Jambalaya on Hee Haw. Looked like maybe Dickey Overby playing a Blanton? Fine solo at about 45sec. https://youtu.be/g01WukxeAlo

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 12:13 pm    

That's great that that stuff is out there. But I sure hope they're paying re-use payments to ALL the musicians from those shows that were done under AFM contracts.

The union has had to fight over and over for those kind of payments from various fly-by-night "networks" over the years, and there's no excuse for it.

Yes, I'm prejudiced. I (and many others on the forum) played on a lot of country TV shows starting in the early 80s and have been ripped off repeatedly over payments that were contractually owed. Having just had all of my substantial projected touring income fall through for the next several months I'm not in a mood to feel forgiving.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 3:45 pm    

I am sorry about your loss of income Pete. Many people are suffering and having to adjust right now. I'm hopeful this will be short lived.

The royalty issue is something I know nothing about and thereby had not considered. I believe this show is under the auspices of WSM 650, so I'm hoping they have accounted for all that.

I just thought some other people might enjoy these old programs. That was my impetus for posting about them here.

Wishing you well, JO.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 5:43 pm    

Of course, Jerry. Like I said I'm glad that stuff is out there for people to enjoy.

I asked folks at the union earlier today, and word I just got is that Circle TV appears to be ready to honor re-use clauses in old contracts, which is not typically the case.

First round of musician payments is supposed to be "in the pipeline" which is a little closer than I'd like to "the checks in the mail," but if it's tied in with WSM I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Stay healthy!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 5:16 pm    

Opry Live every Sat. night. Tonight, Tommy White just killed it with the Gatlins. Nailed the Houston intro and turn-around. Looked like he was having a good time.

Never heard anyone better at being faithful to the recording than TW when he wants to.

Fine work on the dobro too.

Of course we all know he is a bad@@s on his own stuff as well.

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2020 8:58 am     Now Available In Greensboro, NC Market

I don't know when it started but television station WFMY is broadcasting Circle TV on over-the-air digital sub channel 2.5. WFMY has one of the stronger signals in my area so this works out great for me!

Interestingly, since it is available over-the-air in this television market, DISH Network now simulcasts the Saturday night OPRY show on DISH channel 102. I was wrong, DISH does show the reruns too. DISH doesn't broadcast anything else Circle TV offers, just the live 8 PM eastern time OPRY show on Saturday night and OPRY reruns throughout the week.

On a side note the WFMY television station is owned by Tegna Inc. The reason this is interesting is the other three OTA networks, Justice, Quest and Mystery, are owned by Tegna so Circle TV and the main station's network affiliation are the only non-Tegna offerings.

On the Circle TV website there is a photograph promoting a retrospective show called "OPRY Docs".

The picture features Minnie Pearl and Rod Brassfield at the microphone with Ray Price behind Minnie. Anyone know who the man is partially hidden by the microphone stand?

Last edited by Jim Fogle on 14 Jul 2020 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2020 5:23 pm    

Can't help you there Jim.

Doesn't seem to be much interest here in this channel. I know some of this stuff has been shown on cable channels that I don't have so people may have seen them already.

I watch quite a lot. No, I don't like everything they broadcast but I'm grateful it's there. Anytime I get to see and hear steel guitar, I'm pleased particularly when it's world class Tommy White. Often on the Dailey and Vincent show besides the Opry Live.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2020 6:39 pm    

I am grateful for this channel, it is the closest thing I have found to TNN. Was in the middle of the Opry last night when storms blew through and the electric went out. Will have to catch a repeat

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 10:25 am    

Younger audiences seem to be interested in the "lifestyle" shows and are interested in the art of songwriting. Plus those shows cost very little to produce so I understand why Circle TV has these offerings. A younger audience brings in advertising dollars.

I can't say if Circle TV is catching on or not. It's an OTA sub channel so cable and the satellite services don't have to carry it. I'm really surprised DISH carries the OPRY programming.

I'm guessing the trailer park I live in has about 80 units total. Out of the 80 units I believe three have outside OTA antennas. People maybe "cutting the cord" but I don't see them installing OTA antennas. Most of the younger people I know watch internet offerings like Netflix, Apple TV and Disney Plus. All of that was said to say I don't think OTA is building a large audience. So as long as Circle TV remains predominately a OTA sub channel programming provider I think growing will be difficult.

I know one thing for sure though, if I was the activities director for an assisted living facility, I'd drop cable and use my entertainment budget to install the best professionally OTA system I could get. I much prefer the programming offered on Circle TV, Get TV, My TV and other OTA sub channels over most cable offerings. Many shows I enjoyed are available on these sub channels.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 8:28 pm    

Lots of good stuff on there. The Daley and Vincent Show is one of the stronger and doesn't appear to be too dated. Tommy White is on that one a lot. Some good concerts from days gone by, Hee Haw. old awards shows and a good mix of real country music. They have a fair amount of new programming, Coffee & Cody, interviews with current artists and the now stripped down (no audience) Opry on sat. nights. All in all, the best country showcase we've had since TNN. Oh yeah, lots I mean lots of commercials.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 9:13 pm    

Circle has recently shown up on my Sling TV list of available channels.

As has the "Lone Star" channel---which includes a lot of old western movies and TV series, with emphasis on 1940s and 1950s content (Roy and Dale, Annie Oakley, John Wayne, Cisco Kid, etc). I just discovered it in the last hour and see that they will be showing a number of "Country Style USA" 15 minute TV shows from the 50s---the next one will feature Faron and Billy Walker.

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2020 10:46 am    

Vince and Reba performing the "stripped down" OPRY Live tonight, July 18.

I've enjoyed watching some of the stripped down performances. I don't "follow" the country music scene very much. It's been interested to hear some of the new singers sing a song outside a studio without all the audio production tricks. Some have handled it well and others, not quite so much.

As I've had an opportunity to hear the lyrics to some of these new songs I'm finding there is some really strong songwriting.

Some songs are released in multiple versions like explicit, radio ready, album and acoustic. I typically prefer the acoustic version if I like a song.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2020 11:00 am    

Hate to have to miss it tonight, but will catch it on the Wed. nite repeat.😷

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2020 5:14 pm    

Opry Live tonight. Clint Black and Steve Wariner. Real music from these guys. No garbage there.

Steve introduced Tommy White as being a Hall of Fame steel guitar player and they played Crazy Arms together.
Steve played that song on his Dad's '61 Jazzmaster. The guitar he said he said he learned to play on as a kid.

Steve also played the Gretsch, solo, on Wonderful World with some nods to Chet. [He's a CGP, you know.]
Wonderful sound there, just Steve and the Gretsch in that hall.

It's repeating now and I expect it will repeat a few more times and usually in middle of the week in case any of you missed it and want to see it.

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2020 3:28 pm     More Circle Viewing Options

Circle has been aggressive about finding additional viewing options. Here is the webpage with the viewing list: https://www.circleallaccess.com/watch-circle/.

The link above also has a "where showing" look up box where you input your zip code and it will display nearby television stations that broadcast the network in your area.

Other viewing options include:

Roku channel 317
    Xumo channel 285
    Xfinity (through the set top box Xumo app)
    * Samsung TV Plus channel 1087
    * LG Channels 278
    * Vizio Free Channels under Music category

* Samsung TV Plus, LG Channels & Vizio Free Channels are smart tv apps available on their respective television brands' smart televisions.

Many of these viewing options also are available as IOS or Android apps.