The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sierra crown 3x4
Paul Langtry

Chippewa Bay,ny
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 8:39 pm    

I'm researching a Sierra Crown 3x4 online. The seller is unwilling to provide the complete ser. # ,just, SS0107xxx . I don't know the value, year or model. Looks to be in real great shape. To buy or go look at it is a 2 and a 1/2 day 2 nite trip one way. Are there any problems or concerns like , tuneing ,staying in tune,difficulty adjusting etc. . I'm learning, slowly, on a Sho-Bud Maverick but I would like to up grade in the near future. I don't think I could have picked a more challenging insterment to learn but I just love the sound . I'm in need of alot of help,advice I guess everything.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 9:49 pm    

Can you send me a pic?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 12:34 am    

Jim is your man, Paul.

he helped me get my Sierras just exactly perfect. they're fine instruments... Buddy Emmons really fell in love with them. it's a big step up from your Maverick.

that's a long way to go for a guitar. I assume the seller is unwilling to ship? is there a reason he won't give you the full serial number... seems odd.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 2:56 am    

There is one like you describe on eBay. It appears to be a modern build keyed S10 3 & 4 and in decent repair with the basic changes, less the 5 & 10 lower.

From the pics and what we have of the ser #, I would guess it probably mid to late 80's vintage.

The price on that one is at the high end of the scope for this model and no way did it ever cost $7000 as stated in the listing.

They also state there is an issue with one of the spring loaded leg dowels which is something that would need addressing.

Otherwise, it certainly appears to be in good repair and in good playing condition. Sierra guitars are solid as a rock, play nice and have no particular tuning issues that I am aware of.

If this is the one to which you are referring, I personally would not drive from Florida to Chicago specifically to purchase this guitar at this price. YMMV.

They have it listed as a Crown series, which is inaccurate as all Crown series guitars are gearless, so it's really a Royalty model. No big deal there, almost everybody makes this mistake naming this model Sierra.

Anyway, here's the price list. You can find the SSO-10 model there and see the original cost. Of course, that was 1993 and you would have to adjust upward if you bought new today. HTH>

Paul Langtry

Chippewa Bay,ny
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 7:26 am    

Thanks,Jim,Scott,and Jerry for the replys. Sorry but Matlacha,Fl is where I spend my winters from Dec.through Apr. The balance of my year is enjoyed at home in Chippewa Bay.NY. I have also seen this guitar on E-Bay but also on other online sites as well.The seller,in the past, had a problem with some body claiming the item that was for sale had been stolden from them and sued for ownership ?? Thus the reason about not giving the entire ser.#! I would like to make an offer for the Sierrs but it is a long way to go check it out. Thank you , once more ,for the input.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 7:39 am    

That's not unusual concerning the serial number however I don't see what harm would come from them quoting it to you as a prospective buyer.

Sometimes thieves will copy a photo of an item with the serial number and post the thing, so that's why folks don't like to show the entire serial number.

I do that myself, I blank out the numbers on the headstock etc. so they can't be copied.

I owned 2 80's era Sierras that had serial numbers that ended with a 7 and I know those were 1987 builds so that's what I based my guess on.

I just assumed you were in Fl. from your profile, but NY is a fair ride as well.

Good luck with your search, hope you find a nice guitar to upgrade from your Mav.

Feel free to post questions such as this here. We're all happy to help out, particularly with new players.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 8:20 am    

Based on history of seller alone I'd recommend bailing on this one.

Paul Langtry

Chippewa Bay,ny
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 3:11 pm    

I kinda have the same feeling. I wish it was closer. Thanks for the input.

Paul Langtry

Chippewa Bay,ny
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 3:14 pm    

Thanks Jerry

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 4:05 pm     Sierra for sale

I have a friend, that has a Sierra for sale, some folks on the Forum might know Lou. He wants $1600 plus shipping

I think it is black 3 & 4 S-10 Keyed...

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 4:46 pm     Re: Sierra for sale

Charley Bond wrote:
I have a friend, that has a Sierra for sale, some folks on the Forum might know Lou. He wants $1600 plus shipping

I think it is black 3 & 4 S-10 Keyed...

You should create a new discussion rather than adding on to this discussion. Of course we'll want to see photos of the instrument in question.