The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender hot rod vs. Nashville 400
Chase Samek

Pekin, IL
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 2:46 pm    

So I’m currently using a fender hot rod deluxe II and it’s time to replace the tubes. I had everything quoted, and it would be cheaper for me to just buy a peavey Nashville 400. Any thoughts as to which of the two would be more suitable long term? Any input is appreciated

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 4:07 pm    

Long term ? Steel amp ?

I’d go with the NV400.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 4:09 pm    

Where do you buy your tubes? A pair of decent (JJ Electronic) matched 6L6s and three 12AX7s can be had for $80 - $90 just about anywhere. I would purchase every working NV 400 I came across for that amount. I have an older HRD from the Oregon factory; I'm not crazy about it as a steel amp. Perhaps the HRD III is different. Nevertheless, a good NV 400 would be a better bet for pedal steel guitar, in my opinion.

Chase Samek

Pekin, IL
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 4:30 pm    

That’s kind of what I was thinking. I know the peavey is a bit older but it’s been a standard bearer for so long for a reason. Most people I talk to about it say I’m crazy for going with a solid stave vs a tube amp for steel.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 3:46 am    

https://www.tubesandmore.com/sets-by-amplifier/fender/hot-rod-deluxe

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 4:33 am    

A used Nashville 112 would be an alternative to the Nashville 400. I've had both and my preference is the NV112, and its 20lbs lighter.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 5:35 am    

The only reason I could see for going with a N400 is because you need more power. If the Fender is could enough for you then just replace the tubes. And don't just replace the tubes because you think it's time. The power tubes in a HRD don't get pushed that hard so they should last quite a while.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 7:04 am    

You can grab 3 x 12AX7's from any major outlet for +/- 10 or 12 bucks each and 2 x 6L6's for under $18 , they DO NOT need to be matched. As soon as you run them for 15 or 20 hours they will not be matched anymore anyway. Set the BIAS at around 60 MV and be done with it. The amp should run fine for 5 or more years. Maybe even 10 ! Very Happy

You'll get a noisy 12AX7 long before one of those 6L6's fade . Carry a 12AX7 spare, does not have to be NEW, it has to be good.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 9:08 am    

i don't love the nashville 400, but i'd rather play steel through that than the hotrod. every time i've had to use one as backline i have had a not very good time.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 9:54 am    

Dave Campbell wrote:
i don't love the nashville 400, but i'd rather play steel through that than the hotrod. every time i've had to use one as backline i have had a not very good time.

Well for certain you are talking Apples and Oranges here . The 40 watt HR Deluxe will break up very early and will offer a very bright tone, thats why guitar players love them. While the 210 watt N400 probably will never break up ! Not sure why you are comparing one to the other, different planets.

Chase Samek

Pekin, IL
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 10:47 am    

That’s kind of what I was thinking. I know the peavey is a bit older but it’s been a standard bearer for so long for a reason. Most people I talk to about it say I’m crazy for going with a solid stave vs a tube amp for steel.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 10:54 am    

Tony, with all due respect, that is the question asked in the heading.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 9:12 pm    

Tony -

The HRD III I have is so clean and loud, it’s never been past 3 or 4 on the gain. It will shave your head. I use it out all the time.

The NV 400 or NV 112 are solid amp choices. Durable and reliable and get the job done.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 9:53 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Dave Campbell wrote:

Well for certain you are talking Apples and Oranges here . The 40 watt HR Deluxe will break up very early and will offer a very bright tone, thats why guitar players love them. While the 210 watt N400 probably will never break up ! Not sure why you are comparing one to the other, different planets.

i think the op was looking for a comparison unless i've misread.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 8:18 pm    

In general, the tone stack of the Nashville 400 was designed for pedal steel vs the Hot Rod was designed for 6 string guitar. The ability to select the midrange frequency with the Nashville along with clean power is a plus.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 12:03 am    

Ken Pippus wrote:
Tony, with all due respect, that is the question asked in the heading.

the question was "which is better long term my comment stands,they should not be compared. I replied with TUBE costs and longevity. Its relevant to which is better long term. That is how I interpreted the question.

I also responded with TONE comparisons and headroom comparisons, which are totally relevant .

If the OP wants to disregard my comments he is free to do so.

It seems everything is an argument around here these days . I scrolled up to read your response to the ops question, I didn't see one . " With all due respect "

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tony Prior on 9 Jul 2020 12:46 am; edited 3 times in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 12:15 am    

Tim Harr wrote:
Tony -

The HRD III I have is so clean and loud, it’s never been past 3 or 4 on the gain. It will shave your head. I use it out all the time.

The NV 400 or NV 112 are solid amp choices. Durable and reliable and get the job done.

Tim, I'm not arguing that they are not good amps, I've used them on and off since 1995 , I bought one when they first hit the market. They are excellent in certain situations but in some situations they fall short . With regard to comparing them to a N400, they are not to be compared, is all I am saying. IF they work for you, AWESOME, for me they fall just short for Steel , for general gig use.

In your photo the amp is MIC'd. that creates a whole new scenario for describing amp performance. Before Covid I was playing somewhere around 50 or 60 gigs / year. I can count on ONE hand the number of gigs where amps were mic'd, so amp choice is very relevant for me. All unknown stage gigs, I carry an early issue HR Deville. Its not louder than a HR Deluxe but it offers more clean headroom and about 15 more pounds . That extra 20 watts on the backside is very efficient. Small rooms, I carry a Blues Jr or a DV Mark 50 Watt Little Jazz. I'm not arguing or even implying that others should do the same . I don't even own a HR Deluxe OR a N400 anymore as much as I like them both.

regardless:

The op wants to know which one is better long term, I'm not exactly sure what that question means. I am thinking he mean reliability, Tubes vs S State. Hes not asking which one I like better.

Now, lets talk about that RED Z off to the left, a REAL amp! Very Happy I use a Maz 38 often on the larger stages .