The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NEW Franklin Course: Applications: E9 Pedal Steel Toolbox
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 6:04 pm    

Applications: E9 Pedal Steel Toolbox

Now that so many of us are staying at home because our gigs and tours and sessions have been postponed or cancelled, pedal steel guitarists are getting in more "seat time" than ever. This seems like a good opportunity to launch a course that students have been requesting, and one that we've been thinking about for a while.

I've been asked if there was some way to create a "bridge" course that picks up where the Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics course ends. Foundations takes you from learning the open strings to using the Harmonized Scale, from your bedroom to the bandstand. The next step would be learning to apply all of the concepts and techniques you learned in Foundations to real-world situations...making music with them.

This new course is called Applications: E9 Pedal Steel Toolbox.

I selected all of the necessary Lessons directly from The Paul Franklin Method, especially for students who have completed the Foundations course or are at an intermediate level and are not quite ready to jump into the Method itself. If you have been playing for a while and already possess the skills taught in Foundations, this is a great intermediate course to learn some stylistic licks and phrases and master the art of Backing A Singer.

I use examples and ideas from the classic pedal steel guitar vocabulary, including popular intros and solos records I played on over the past several decades. Being familiar with the sounds and phrasing of these diverse styles is important, as you will probably be called on to create something original in those styles, and you'll need a few concepts at your command to draw from.

Click here for more info: Paul's Blog

Thanks!

Paul

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 5:50 am    

Hi John -

I've spent almost every waking moment with the new course since I bought it 2 days ago - and I am really stoked about it!

It is a PHENOMENAL resource. I'm an intermediate amateur player and just from what I've seen so far, what Paul has put together will keep me busy - and motivated - for months, if not years. It is the perfect tutorial for someone like me who has been playing for decades but is essentially in a rut, looking to break out to a new level of playing - and understanding how music theory lays out on the instrument.

Honestly, the price of the full course had kept me on the sidelines - until now with the introduction of Toolbox. You found me in my niche!

Thanks again to you and Paul for sharing all this knowledge in a very user-friendly format. Paul - and Tommy, Doug and a few others - are our last link to the original pioneers and giants of the instrument: Emmons, Rugg, Mooney, Newman et al (thankfully Lloyd is still with us). And now we have a digital encyclopedia and "textbook" created by one of the all-time greats.

Sorry to run on but I'm really fired up about the toolbox!

Regards,
Frank