The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bars are closed in Texas
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 4:40 pm    

As a reminder Anne Frank was in hiding for 761 days. I've been to the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam and I'll admit to crying like a baby.

And there was no internet, tv, movies, ordering in, zoom.

And I will guarantee you, she wished she could have stayed hidden for another 761 days. When did we become such an entitled nation of wimps.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 5:20 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
But I think the days of going back to live music with crowded bars isn't coming back for a long long time and people need to prepare for that eventuality.

And by the time those days do come back, I'll be too old to enjoy them! Laughing

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 9:07 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
When did we become such an entitled nation of wimps.

About thirty years ago. Give or take a few years. Beats anything I ever saw.

Mitch

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 9:37 pm    

Can you imagine when the curfews and blackouts and rationing were ordered during WWII, people running around whining.....

"But what about my FREEDOM, man?!?!?"

I'm sure that would've gone over well!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 9:48 pm    

Just a gentle reminder that this topic is about the impact of bar closures on working musicians. Let's not take it into Facebook territory (you know what I mean). Stay on topic, please.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2020 5:46 pm    

I think this virus is pretty much the end of my performing career, which means the end of me as a professional musician.

Fifty-two years as a professional was a good run.

Right now, being comfortably retired and fishing 3-4 times a week in good weather seems to agree with me a whole lot more than hauling amps and guitars into clubs.

This might change, but I don't foresee missing it too damn much.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 6 Jul 2020 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2020 7:38 pm    

You lasted longer than I did, Herb.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 2:22 am    

I've stayed extremely busy for 45 years playing every kind of gig there was to play but I'm also wondering if the end hasn't already come and I just haven't accepted it yet.

I keep working on the chops just in case.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 2:34 am    

Gonna be a flood of pedal steel guitars for sale. By next summer gigs will be back... probably a different scenario than what we expect and less places to play as a lot of venues will not make the financial hit. Very surreal

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 6:26 am    

As a heads up to those of you who are planning gigs and are social distancing, but need to sing without a mask: latest info from scientists indicates that the virus is an airborne transmission. Meaning any indoor gig that has either heat or air conditioning can spread the virus through the air, even if you socially distant. Not just droplets from coughing or sneezing. It lives in the air for some period of time and can be circulated via heating and air conditioning systems. Be careful out there.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 7:26 am    

Boy, I really hate this! In my 45 years of playing this is the longest I've gone without imparting my steel guitar will on some unsuspecting idiot in the crowd! Laughing That would be people that call it a lay down slide thingamajig. Rolling Eyes
I am really Jonesin' for some Jones and Hungry for some Haggard!
Please be safe out there, the life you save may be mine (or one of your loved ones!) Bill is right, this thing is mutating as we speak. Our fearless leader on the forum is right. Please no political inferences. There is good news...
Can someone let me know what it is?

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2020 8:31 pm    

I'm actually considering selling most of my equipment...I figured the money I get will be more than I would make the next 10 years gigging. I think live music is over.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 4:36 am    

I don't believe live music is over, but it will be severely crippled and on one leg for very long time. Hopefully we all come through this unscaved.
Wear your mask and wash your hands, right now it is the only thing that works.
Thank you for the posts, it's good to know that we all can still communicate, Many Thanks to b0b.

Eric OHara

Peru, NY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 6:29 am    

Hi all. Don’t lose hope gents. A vaccine will eventually become available and we’ll all be pickin again. A lot of R&D has been done and the academic, corporate and government focus is on a vaccine. Companies will be manufacturing “at risk”, mfg it while Clinical trials Progress and the data is evaluated. If the outcome is effective then there will be a jump on stock. Studies are already progressing into Phase 3 - which Constitutes large populationa of subjects. A qualified vaccine by years end is achievable- although a historic achievement - in today’s world - it is possible. We just have to remain vigilant w guidelines. Hang in there!
I’m tired of looking at my room wall vs an audience too!

Apologies for prolonging this thread. EO

PS - indoor vs. outdoor chance of contracting the virus is x 20 fold risk
Beard Decophonic 57/ Fishman JD preamp
Goodrich 6122-R
Walrus Slotva Reverb, JHS Thunderbolt, ZVEX fuzz factory
Evans JE-200, RE-150
Peavey Nashville 112, 400
Keal Cases

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 6:45 am    

Rich Upright wrote:
I'm actually considering selling most of my equipment...I figured the money I get will be more than I would make the next 10 years gigging. I think live music is over.

If nothing else, it will make your forum signature shorter. Razz

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 8:06 am    

I think the rebound after the recovery will introduce another challenge.

Some of the smaller joints will begin to have entertainment again, after some time, but will have a tighter budget. Unfortunately, the folks willing to play for free/tips will fill the void.

Small club owners could get comfortable with the business model of not paying or paying very little for live acts. It was happening pre-COVID. If they’re getting it for free, they won’t be eager to pay for it.

All the smaller joints that filled out your calendar may reopen, but the return of the scene as we knew it may take a while longer. If you live in a music tourist economy, and travel rebounds, that may return quicker.

Just guessing,and based off my personal experience with my local music scene. I’d love to be wrong, and I’ve been wrong a lot.

I lived through Katrina in N.O. After the storm, when we were recovering, initially locals flooded the bars, starved for the music they missed, We were thrilled to be back playing, and the people really needed the break from the daily grind. It was like therapy for both pickers and fans. I’m hoping for something similar to that. There is hope.

Last edited by Steve Spitz on 7 Jul 2020 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 8:20 am    

I'm limping along here in western MD with a couple of outdoor winery/brewery gigs per month. At least one of the wineries seems to have the right approach: groups limited to six people, well-spaced tables and socially distanced lawn seating, must put your mask on when you get up to buy a bottle. Of course, totally dependent on weather and those gigs will dry up by late fall. I still have some indoor gigs on the calendar but I don't expect them to happen. Fortunately I have a day job so I'm just down a little beer and grocery money but I know a number of younger musicians that are definitely not ready to retire and have lost their main source of income. I hope you're right about the vaccine Eric. Yep, hang in there.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 3:43 pm    

Same here, Bill. I have a few outdoor gigs this summer but those will end in the fall. I’m not taking any indoor gigs until a vaccine is available.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 4:16 pm    

All of our County Fairs and Festivals all canceled for the year. We have 3 outdoor private parties left for the rest of the year. I am not selling anything. All bought and paid for. It will be a better year next year! My Grandfather used to tell me that years ago on the farm when ever we had a bad year......

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 6:51 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:

If it's a buyer's market for live music,it'll be a buyer's market in spades for gear.Not selling now may well mean more value somewhat further down the road,plus you'll get to enjoy the gear more than the pawnshop bux you'll get for it now......I recall back in the mists of time one of my bandmates telling me that 'Bursts( yeah,THAT kind of 'Burst!) could be had all day long for $75 a pop.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 6:57 am    

Dick Wood wrote:
I've stayed extremely busy for 45 years playing every kind of gig there was to play but I'm also wondering if the end hasn't already come and I just haven't accepted it yet.

I keep working on the chops just in case.

Same here

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 8:22 am    

I've been playing once a week in a barn with some friends. We are all spread out - about 10 feet between us - and the doors are open blowing fresh vineyard air through the building. Pretty darn safe, I think. No other people around.

Anyway, it helps to keep my chops up. No telling when, if ever, we'll play for an audience. It's not really a working band anyway.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 3:39 pm    

That sounds like a great idea b0b, fun, easy, and safe. I’d love to have something like that. Enjoy it.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 3:45 pm    

what about setting up a live stream b0b? Instant audience. and put in a tip jar.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 7:04 pm    

I don't gig, but if I did I wouldn't....at least not until a vaccine has been discovered and approved....maybe not even then.

I do what b0b describes. We have a small group of 4 or 5 people, same ones every time, that get together for a jam once in a while. I think it's only been twice since the scare started.

We're very careful though and we maintain contact so we would know of any problems.

I feel for the proprietors and musicians in Texas and everywhere else in the entertainment arena that depends on audience participation for income.

With things ramping back up again across the country, I believe we just have to bite the bullet and follow the CDC guidelines until things get better. The sooner that happens, the sooner things will improve.

I believe though that many will have to seek out other areas of employment. If I were looking, I might try to find something like yard maintenance or other service industry that is at least partly outdoors and/or has more limited contact with other humans.

Please be patient and be careful. Be considerate of the geezer populace of which I am a member and the sick and challenged folks that need your cooperation.

😷😷😷😷😷