The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Zum Issue
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 1:05 pm    

Hi- I've been playing a 79 Zum D10 for awhile now, and something new has developed. It's my RKL -raises my f#'s full with a half stop feel, raises Eb a half tone, lowers high C on the back neck a half tone- the issue:
All changes aren't reaching their desired note without detuning the open strings. It sounds like your classic overturning, but without the fingers being out of line-everything looks correct underneath to my eye. I play the guitar a lot,rarely needs tuning, and it hasn't been moved in months due to the pandemic-this problem developed this week. Thoughts?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 2:41 pm    

The key facts are that multiple changes are affected and that it has happened suddenly.

To say the least, this is a long long shot and I only mention it because it was so unexpected when I was trying to diagnose a seemingly overnight total screw up on a friend's old guitar. Suddenly, almost every change just wasn't getting there. I was looking so hard, so close up, that it took me a while to find it.

The wood apron had split where the endplate wrapped around and screwed into it. As a result, the changer was not being held solidly and was giving when you stepped on a pedal, hit a lever. It was rather catastrophic.
So I'm thinking that with this hot weather and humidity, could something have expanded and finally the wood just gave out?

So this is something for you to inspect. It should be easy enough to either find or rule out.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 3:10 pm    

Solved! Loose screw or no screw connecting crank to the crossroad- can't tell in that tiny oily cavity- makes sense for the systemic RKL trouble- thanks Jon.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 3:27 pm    

That's 17 zillion times better than my scenario.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 3:46 pm    

Asa, I'm so glad that you only had a screw loose and weren't completely cracked
Smile

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 5:35 pm    

Ha! Part of my affinity towards this guitar is that we're the same age- experiencing similar problems.