The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson LpJR.
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2020 12:09 pm    

This question is for six stringers out there...Do any of you have an old Gibson Les Paul Jr. or. SG jr. with the “wrap around” bridge/tail piece? How’s your intonation right out of the box ,is it spot on or did you have to go for an “after market” replacement that’s adjustable?
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 May 2020 5:23 pm    

I've had a bunch of them over the years. Best rock and roll guitars ever built. With the stock tailpiece, intonation is better with a wound 3rd string. That's what they were designed for.

But these days, there are fixed repro wraparounds made for a plain 3rd - the compensation gets longer from strings 1 through 3, then the 4th string is shorter and then progressively longer again for strings 5 and 6. The issue is that the required compensation primarily depends on the gauge of the string core, around which the windings go.

I've also used adjustable bridges like Bad Asses and other similar units - there's this massive Schaller unit that is pretty good. But I still prefer a fixed wraparound. My favorite version of the Gold Top - late '53 to early '55 - also sports a wraparound.

And for God's sake, if you use a repro, carefully stow away the original. Most players like the old ones bone stock.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2020 9:12 pm    

Thanks for the info Dave. I’ve had four LP sp. jrs. Single and double cut great sounding guitars , for me it’s the P 90s! I’ve been thinking of purchasing a new one with a wrap around tail piece, in the past I’ve always had the Nashville tuneamatics And no problems with them. Thanks again, I’ll remember about the string gauges and wound 3rd string
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 12:41 pm    

Here's one made by Joe Glaser for Music City Bridge.
Pricey, but should do the job.

https://www.musiccitybridge.com/

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 8:41 am    

there are several new items out that provide good intonation for wraparounds. here is the wilkenson....its cheap and has one section that moves. there is another company that also has lock downs on the outside post that keep the bridge from pivoting downward in front. less than $100 i think. https://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-Lightweight-Adjustable-Intonated-Wrapround-Bridge_p_892.html

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 6:57 pm    

I recently got a Heritage H-137. Very much like the LP Jr. and the LP Special. It's got 2 P90's and a wraparound bridge. Made in the old Gibson factory. The stock wraparound has 2 adjustment screws on the rear section. Seems to intonate very well. Then again it came with 10-46 strings (plain G string) and that's my usual gauge on Telecasters. If I change the string gauge to 11's, I'll see what's up then, but so far so good. I always liked and wanted an old LP Jr., but whew...they are pricey now. I've not tried the 2019 LP Jr. but they look pretty good.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 10:15 pm    

It’s good to know there are options out there if I needed them, I still haven’t pulled the lever on a “wrap around bridge LP jr. special yet.