The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pickup opyions for 8 string square neck reso
Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 9:24 am    

Looking at getting a Beard/Gold Tone 8 string squareneck. Had the 6 string round neck w cutaway for a few years and it was a really good instrument.

Looking at pickup options. Gold Tone is recommending their clip on mic ABS-C, I see other clip on options with and without phantom power req.
I do play some straight into a PA or mixer-voiced situation for accurate acoustic repreoduction, but I like my mid rangy, growly tube amps too.

If this is the 843rd thread on this topic, my apologies. Feel free to link me to previous convos. But if not, fire away!
Thx!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 10:01 am    

Is your purpose for the pickup to be able to play in a mixed acoustic/electric band?

If it is, and of the clip-on mini mic units, be it the Gold Tone, Myers Feather or something else, you will likely be in for a feedback battle.

Howard Parker might chime in when he sees this thread. He had Paul Beard build him a custom 8-string Fishman Nashville pickup that was "cobbled" out of two 6-string versions. As I recall between the complexity and expense of the project it was a one off deal that will never happen again at the Beard shop in Maryland.

Resonator luthier Kent Schoonover of Oklahoma for a brief time in the past couple years offered custom 7 and 8 string versions of the Fishman Nashville, but he threw in the towel due to lack of interest.

The Fishman "donut" pickup which screws to the underside of the cone is an option - except for the part about it sounding terrible and it also can be a feedback monster. I had first and experience with that for several years.

Probably the most accurate sounding pickup after the Fishman Nashville is the Schertler Basik - but I'm not sure if the resonator specific version is even made anymore. It is essentially a contact microphone, but it had its own issues with feedback.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 10:10 am    

Well,

My short answer is that I am not aware or an available 8 string pickup that would meet my requirements:

1. Have the same characteristics as the Fishman "Nashville" 6 string pickup.

2. 100% compatibility with the Fishman "Jerry Douglas" Aura pedal.

ymmv

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Walter Webb

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 10:20 am    

three optional pickups are available for the PBS-8, including a Fishman Nashville. See here. https://www.instrumentalley.com/Gold-Tone-PBS-8-Paul-Beard-8-String-Squareneck-p/pbs-8.htm

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 10:27 am    

I believe that to be an error as there is no such 8 string product from Fishman. The stock Nashville simply is not wide enough for reasonable string spacing.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 10:32 am    

Hi Howard, yeah my communication w Gold Tone indicated that the ABS-C was about what they had to offer at the moment.
So, is that a disaster waiting to happen through a tube amp? Is there an 8 string equivelant to the Lace/National pickup? Also, bc string height, if a surface mounted magnetic is used, I prob want to mount it closer to the strings than flush to the guitar...

I have a cpl George L 10-5s, but that seems pretty thick and heavy to mount on a acoustic top

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 10:44 am    

I have a Schertler Basik and pre if your interested, just pm me.

https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/shop/pickups/basik-set

Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 10:56 am    

Hi Gary I think I would prefer a clip mic over a disc mount.

Are the clip mics like the ABS-C or Myer Grip etc a nightmare w a tube amp?

And of the clip ons, any experience w any of the models? Thoughts on them? Thx

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 12:09 pm    

Marc,

You might consider dropping Beard Guitars a line. Paul may have a recommendation that meets your requirements. Maybe a compromise of some sort.

h

Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 12:42 pm    

Hi Howard, He recommended the ABS-C via Gold Tone rep.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2020 3:30 pm    

If you find the answer that meets Howards criteria, I would buy one for my 7-stringer!

Myers - nice little setup, but I find it is very omni-directional - it picks up my voice when talking - this also makes it more prone to feedback. In comparison, a Shure 57 seemed slightly less inclined to feedback. But I can't imagine either being loud enough in an electric band (which I play with at times).

I traded a message or two with Travis Toy about his ideas for the new MSA 10-6 in case you don't ever visit the pedal steel page, it's a new MSA with a 10 (or 12) string neck plus a 6-stringer on the back that can be switched between a reso simulator and a lap steel. In reso-mode, there is a built-in JD Aura pedal, and I believe individual piezo pickups for each string.

Anyway, Travis told me that any piezo pickup, through a JD Aura will sound like a resonator. I'm skeptical based on what I know about the technology of Aura pedal, but I do wonder if you get a piezo designed for reso (and mount close to the bridge would be good) and run it through the JD Aura, you might get close... or maybe not. To quote Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?"