The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Top D note on C6. Buddy Emmons
Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2020 6:43 pm    

Yes, no surprise that a hot young player with eclectic tastes and big ears would grab the opportunity to hang with Lenny, who has been one of my main guys since I got his first album (?) in'69.
Seeing as Bill Evans was one of Lenny's main influences along with McCoy Tyner, getting quartal harmony would be high on his list for things a copedent should facilitate.
I guess I need to really investigate PF's C6 setup. I've got the equivalent of Buddy's 5x4 happening on my guitar now, and it is great for swing and bop changes, but maybe not so much for more modern stuff. Admittedly, I don't really understand how to use quartals at all well, so maybe it is all there after all, but.....

Interesting side note: touring with Lenny 50 years ago on bass was Ron Halldorson, who I understand was also a pretty fair steel player. A Winnipeg guy, I believe. There are also some tracks out there with Rick Danko of The Band on bass.
That's my Canadian content. Very Happy

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 5:24 am    

Ron Hogan wrote:
A little fuel for the D note fire. Thoughts..

D note position samples

Ron

I said "here are all the spots". Wrong! That was just a general statement of what I was playing at the moment.

There are many variations of using that string.

Ron

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 9:41 am    

Just showing you how much I use the first string when I play. A lot more then the G string ever offered me.

Here's another C6 intro for ya. Slower style to learn from. Key of F. Chart:
1 5 1 2'/5 - 1/4 1/5

YOUTUBE SAMPLE

Ron

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 12:41 pm    

so how many of us still use the G on top? I do.

I'm nothing special but I play a lot of oddball stuff that could be considered "modern"... I've worked out around 50 Thelonious Monk tunes on C6 and I've found the G on top more useful for that stuff.

I also enjoy playing a few of the older instrumentals that had the G on top... Four Wheel Drive, Almost To Tulsa, B. Bowman Hop...

I do raise my 3rd string to D independent of string 4 which comes in quite handy too.

Franklin

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 1:13 pm    

Scott,

You can play all of that G string stuff by raising the C's to C# combined with lowering the 5th string 1/2 tone which also raises the 9th string a 1/2 and the 10th a whole..with these strings engaged at the 3rd fret the notes are all there:

F G E C A G E C A F

Paul

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2020 2:21 pm    

thanks for the suggestion Paul. I rarely tend to use pedal 5 with the C# raise, I want to incorporate it more.

the high G serves as an open drone string on some of those songs. on Almost To Tulsa the high G is a hammer-off string. Buddy Charleton re-cut it on his Playing Silk album after switching to the D on top. I love both versions but the original really used that high G and it's missing from the later version.