The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For Wiz
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 3:27 pm    

Apparently, my computer is going to be useless soon unless I change over soon. From windows it says they are deleting this version. Is this a scam? If it is not, how do I get another version and keep my files.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 3:33 pm    

If you have Windows 7, you apparently can still upgrade to Windows 10 at no charge while keeping your files..........assuming your hardware is compatible with Windows 10. It probably is unless ancient.

Details on that can be found on tenforums.com and probably elsewhere.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 7:33 pm    

Ken, please describe your computer. How old is it? What brand, make and model number? What is your current operating system? Exactly how did you receive the notification you mentioned? What was the actual wording? Was there a clickable link in a pop-up notice on the desktop, or in your browser? If in a browser, what browser were you using? Or, did it arrive in an email?
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 9:55 am    

It'sa dell 3470. quit old. If my memory serves me c
correctly, I first used it to change over to 10. it came in the news about the steel guitar forum,none other and as I recall had no clicable link attached. No email involved.
I cannot tell you wording because there is no sign of it.
if it comes again I will let you know.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 10:13 am    

The product description says it was available with Windows 10 Home Edition, or was compatible with it. Here is a link to the Dell Inspiron 3472 drivers and support page. You might learn more there. Otherwise, you can read or post about it on the Dell Users' forum.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 3:49 pm    

I see I have two computers ending support on Feb 16 2021,
both 3470, costs me n added 41.65 ea to have them covered for an additional year. Don't know if I will up for it or not.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 6:24 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
I see I have two computers ending support on Feb 16 2021,
both 3470, costs me n added 41.65 ea to have them covered for an additional year. Don't know if I will up for it or not.

Whom are you paying for this support? What support are they actually providing to you? Is it something you can be doing yourself at no cost?

If you have been paying to receive hardware and/or software updates, those can be obtained from the manufacturer's website via a model search under drivers. Windows updates are provided by Microsoft and are free once you hold a valid license for the operating system (which you apparently already have. It is called a digital entitlement under Windows 10 nomenclature).

Perhaps you are paying for security program updates. Let us know so we can assist you properly.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 7:01 am    

s from microsoft itself on the site you sent me to on 3470 computers.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 7:23 am    

Ken Lang wrote:

Something doesn't make sense here. Are you saying that you entered into a personal support arrangement with Microsoft Corporation? That is normally reserved for corporations and installers/resellers. As for Windows 10, once it is licensed on a computer, updates are totally free until the operating system reaches its end of life (EOL).

You are running Windows 10 on these machines, aren't you?

OTOH, it would make sense if you have an ongoing support contract with Dell, the manufacturer of your computers. They are not related to Microsoft, except for being authorized to distribute Windows operating systems with computers they make.

There is no need to pay for ongoing support for old computers unless you use them in critical business environments. Windows Updates are totally free and come out on the second Tuesday of every month (and sometimes out of schedule to fix problems). Driver updates can be obtained from your manufacturer's website for free. These rarely get updated for old hardware.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 7:27 am    

Ken Lang wrote:

I sent you a link to Dell, not Microsoft. Here again is the link to get free Dell drivers for your model: Here is a link to the Dell Inspiron 3472 drivers and support page. DELL, NOT MICROSOFT.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 7:24 pm    

Well, Dell or Microsoft, it matters not. apparently the end if life is 2/16/21 like it or not. The 41.65 is to microsoft. Look on Dell under 3470 not 3472 that you have been quoting.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 8:29 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
Well, Dell or Microsoft, it matters not. apparently the end if life is 2/16/21 like it or not. The 41.65 is to microsoft. Look on Dell under 3470 not 3472 that you have been quoting.

Here is a link to the drivers for a Dell Latitude 3470 laptop. I have a similar Dell Latitude and pay nothing to anybody to update and maintain it. I upgraded it myself from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I use it in my leather shop. All Windows (Microsoft) updates are delivered to it for free, on or about the second Tuesday of the month and other days for quick fixes.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 8:49 pm    

Considering the machine's age, it might be worth your while buying a new laptop and have your personal files and settings exported from the old one, then imported into the new one. Dell resellers can perform this for you when you buy a new computer or laptop from them.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 7:22 am    

Both machines are up to date thanks to you and your talk about how who you buy from will do that. Apparently the end of service is on Dells part and the money would go to them.

Sorry for the confusion. I will get my updates from Microsoft and I will pay nothing to Dell.
and buy the way, one of my 3470 machines is new.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 8:35 am    

Thanks for the clarification Ken. I'm happy to have been of help to you and that you now realize that Microsoft Windows Updates are free. Likewise, Dell drivers are free once you run a lookup for your service tag. That is something you were paying them to do for you.

It is the nature of support contracts and even licensed software to continually prod users to re-up in advance of the EOL of the contract or license period. They usually have little to no cost to provide updates to you. The only time money would come out of their pocket is if you have to send the device to them for physical servicing.