Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Capps?
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 2:14 am    

Someone posted this great video from 'Larry's Country Diner'

and I thought it was a great way to honor him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQSLadXkRQ

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 4:50 am    

Godspeed Jimmy!

Say "Hi" to Curly!

Empathy for the family. A tough year for many and tougher to lose a loved one!

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 4:56 am     Sad News

Sorry to hear of the passing, prayers go up for the family.
Jimmy played on a lot of sessions for me while I was in Nashville. Great guy and super player. Never a cross word to anyone. RIP

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 9:51 am    

I've always seen Jimmy as the most successful musician in Nashville,,,master of the two rules for success in Nashville,,,number 1,,,,keep your mouth shut,,number two,,,talent. He had an abundance of both,,and knew which was which. The loss of an icon to the music community,,May he R.I.P.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 10:27 am    

Oh no, that is so sad...

My condolences to the family.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 1:00 pm    

Jimmy came from the 'Less is more' school when backing a singer. Great touch and tone, and I loved the way that he would play an awesome run and give a slight hint of a satisfied smile. RIP Mr Capps - you were right up there with the very best.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 11:30 am    

So sorry to read about this.
He will be missed by many.
Thanks for the enjoyable music you played on.
R.I.P.
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2020 2:05 am    

What a talent! I hate hearing about these great guys we will never see or hear again (except on youtube). I always fear opening gone home, more and more.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2020 8:46 pm    

I am still in the process of absorbing the loss of my lifelong friend. We started our professional careers together with Slim Mims and the Dream Ranch Boys in Florence, S.C. doing two radio shows a day and a weekly television show and playing country schoolhouses, farmers day celebrations, and a summertime dance at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion. I was there first maybe June 1955, playing steel and switching off on guitar once in a while. Slim said, "I'd hire a full time electric guitar player if I knew one" I said, "Let me make a phone call." I called Jimmy and he was working delivering groceries for a store in Benson, N.C. He accepted the gig right over the phone and started the next Monday. He was 16 and I was 19. Thus began our long running joke where he would introduce me as discovering him and I would say "I ain't taking the blame for that."

We roomed togehter and I would watch him work out his parts, amazed at his gorgeous note choices. His style was so him. Over the years, his playing gained maturity and finesse, but I could play you tapes from those days and you would say, "That's Jimmy Capps"

He would be my favorite guitar player if I'd never met him. Being my forever friend topped that. R.I.P.

Last edited by Clyde Mattocks on 14 Jun 2020 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2020 12:09 am    

Nice note above by Clyde. I never met Jimmy but I'm here to tell ya he was one of my top 10 influences for guitar playing , all time, all players.

RIP Jimmy Capps.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2020 4:26 am    

Clyde,
I am so sorry for your loss. Friends like Jimmy are hard to come by, especially this day and time. I certainly always loved to hear Jimmy play guitar, his style was a bred that we all grew up listening to on the radio and TV that made us all want to play guitar just like him. If I can do anything for you during this time of grief and mourning please feel free to let me know, even if it's just a phone call, I'll be glad to talk with you.......

PS: I will "pm" you my phone number....

Steel buddy,

Allen Howington

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2020 3:32 pm     jimmy

Shocked Crying or Very sad
Man oh man. What a loss. Saw him at the Opry a few years ago and every Saturday on Larry's Diner. Almost can't believe it RIP
Wally Pfeifer

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2020 11:12 am    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
I am still in the process of absorbing the loss of my lifelong friend. We started our professional careers together with Slim Mims and the Dream Ranch Boys in Florence, S.C. doing two radio shows a day and a weekly television show and playing country schoolhouses, farmers day celebrations, and a summertime dance at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion. I was there first maybe June 1955, playing steel and switching off on guitar once in a while. Slim said, "I'd hire a full time electric guitar player if I knew one" I said, "Let me make a phone call." I called Jimmy and he was working delivering groceries for a store in Benson, N.C. He accepted the gig right over the phone and started the next Monday. He was 16 and I was 19. Thus began our long running joke where he would introduce me as discovering him and I would say "I ain't taking the blame for that."

We roomed togehter and I would watch him work out his parts, amazed at his gorgeous note choices. His style was so him. Over the years, his playing gained maturity and finesse, but I could play you tapes from those days and would say, "That's Jimmy Capps"

He would be my favorite guitar player if I'd never met him. Being my forever friend topped that. R.I.P.

A beautiful rememberance,Clyde...I loved Jimmy Capps and if he was at the Opry whenever I was,I spent every minute I possibly could with him...he was so kind to me and would answer any question I asked him about records,guitars,musicians...usually followed by a story about them...thanks for discovering him!

SH

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2020 5:04 am    

I'm very sorry to hear of Jimmy's passing. I never had the pleasure of working with him, but, like Steve said, I spoke with him several times when we did the Opry and he was an awesome guy... and player..!!

My prayers and condolences go out for Jimmy, his family and friends. Our loss is Heaven's gain.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 8:47 pm    

Jimmy Capps was my friend and I miss him terribly! This was the last time I saw him...it was backstage at the Opry just a few months back.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89