The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics speakers
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 12:58 am    

A while ago when speakers were being discussed I suggested that Telonics units were actually made by Eminence, but someone else was not so sure.

Anyway, as mine have been stashed in the garage since March I decided to inspect them for livestock etc. and for the record they are indeed labelled "TSEO-15-4 made by Eminence".

I suppose it's possible that they've used other suppliers as well.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 2:10 am    

Telonics are custom Eminence neodymium speakers.

The speaker in the Quilter Steelaire is also a custom version of the EPS-15C with more high end (frequency).

I have a Telonics 12" in my Nashville 112.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 4:38 am    

Well I'm impressed with my 15s.

Even with a loud band I never struggle for volume or clarity. I can just concentrate on playing!
Smile

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 5:17 am    

I currently use a Telonics Neo 12 in one of my NV112's and a TT-12 in the other one. The TT-12 is slightly lighter. The tone of each is very close, in my opinion the TT-12 has a little more bass response, however it is slight. In a barroom set up not noticeable at all. I can usually set both amps the same or very close. It is all subject to one's ears.IMHO

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2020 6:34 am    

Just the opposite. I compared the Telonics and a broken in TT-12 in the NV112 and I got a little more low end and not as bright highs with the Telonics. I bought the NV112 used with the Telonics -stock electronics no chip mods. I removed the Telonics and installed the TT-12 in the NV112 for my comparisons. If I only played E9th there isn't much difference other than the TT-12 seemed a little brighter. On the C6th is where I noticed more difference between the two speakers and what won over the Telonics TSNEO-12 speaker for me.

Eminence specs lists 7.1 lbs for the TT-12
Telonics specs lists 7.2 lbs for the TSNEO-12. Not enough difference to be noticed.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2020 6:01 pm    

I've got a Telonics 15" in one of my twins. It seems like it took quite a while for it to break in. Now it sounds fabulous. I have a few older JBLs and although they sound great, at 63, I'm really getting tired of the weight of the big black widows and JBLs. My next speaker will be a neo and probably a TT15. I have a TT12 in a smaller fender and like it as well. Neos are a great way to help schlep around the old amps we really like. I'm still a Fender twin guy so this is a great way to keep the weight down.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 7:47 am    

My OEM speaker in my N112 just became a fuzztone. Where does one buy a Telonics TSNEO-12-4 speaker? I can't find anybody selling or stocking them, including Telonics.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 8:04 am    

Telonics is out of them? Did you talk to Dave Beaty

That is the only place to get a new one.

dave@telonics.com

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 8:25 am    

Thanks Jack. I sent him an email. I guess if they have any in stock I'll buy one. Otherwise, it looks like my other best light weight option is the TT-12.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 8:54 am    

I'd hold off for the Telonics. I compared them both, installed in a NV112 and the Telonics was a little smoother on the high end and a little more lows. The Telonics comes pre-broken in, too.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 9:23 am    

I really love Telonics speakers and I really love the company. Their customer service is extremely exceptional.

I’ve found that their web site might say that a speaker is not available when it actually is. Give Sophie Russo a call. They probably have it in stock. Including the 8-ohm 12” neo which sounds fantastic in a Deluxe Reverb.

Telonics:

480-892-4444

Last edited by Tom Wolverton on 27 Jun 2020 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 11:10 am    

At the advice of Mike Skaggs I bought a Wheelhouse 150 12" speaker and I like it a lot. I will probably put one in my 112 Nashville. It's not a neo speaker but it's a tad lighter than the TT12. It's definitely not as edgy as the TT12. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 2:42 pm    

Steve ,
The Wheelhouse is not a neo speaker, but it’s lighter than a neo speaker ?

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 2:53 pm    

The specs for the Wheelhouse 150 say the magnet is neo. Speaker weight is 6.6 lbs. Wow. That’s light. 8-ohm only, however.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 3:01 pm    

I wouldn’t let the 8 ohm thing bother you. It works and sounds great. As of right now, it’s my fav. I have D120’s D130’s, and K130s. I’m just tired of carrying them around

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 11:34 pm    

You can tweak the sound of a speaker - that's what tone controls are for - but there's no knob you can turn to make it lighter Smile

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 3:11 am     speaker

The Wheelhouse 12 in a Blockdock (202) is louder than the stock 8 ohm speaker. It is louder than my Nash112 with an EPS12-4,,and it sounds sublime. Been playing with it for a month or so now, and still digging it.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 7:11 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
You can tweak the sound of a speaker - that's what tone controls are for - but there's no knob you can turn to make it lighter :)

This sums up the problem I have! You hit the nail on the head. The older I get, the heavier the amp becomes.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 1:13 pm    

I bought the Telonics 12 inch 4 ohm speaker and put it into my Nashville 112. The bass response dropped to half, requiring me to boost the bass pot just under full. I don't care for the way it sounds on the high strings either. I will get used to it until something else comes along.

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 30 Aug 2020 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 4:26 pm     Telonics in a Nashville 112

Hey Wiz, I wish you the very best on your install of the TT-12 speaker in your Nashville. I personally installed a 12" Peavey Black Widow in my NV112 some time ago and kept it in the cabinet for about 3-4 days. As you reported, I experienced a tremendous loss in bass response with the Black Widow. The overall sound was good, with no noticeable loss in midrange or highs and it seemed really "tight" to me. That was not the improvement I was hoping for, not to mention that the overall weight had increased from the stock speaker. I have two Telonics 15" cabinets that I am using now which I am totally happy with, so I really feel that Telonics overall has one of the best products on the market. In closing, I must say that I believe that the factory installed "Blue Marvel" 12" speaker (made by Eminence) is really the best speaker overall for that unit. I will watch for your posts to see how the TT-12 works out for you. At least it will be lighter than the "Blue Marvel"! Good luck, Sir!
Roger Smile

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 11:30 pm    

A speaker works best in its own home. My Telonics 15s sound great in the Telonics cabs they came in, but that doesn't mean I would endorse 12s in a different environment.

There is no reason why any speaker should work well in an alien enclosure, especially at the bass end. It's tempting to swap units in a combo, especially to reduce weight, but it's a gamble.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 3:21 pm    

I wound up getting a Telonics NEO-15 to replace the aging (and heavy) stock Eminence speaker in my Fender Steel King. I feel that the tone is 100% on par with the Eminence (which itself was very much on par with a JBL D130) - and arguably, has slightly richer tone.

Simply, Telonics is lighter, with JBL sound. And it is able to handle the wattage with no problem.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2020 12:39 am    

Well done, Joe - you gambled and won! Smile

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2020 1:38 pm     Telonic speaker

With all of the time we have off from the virus all of my years of playing pedal steel it’s always been peavey amps I have Nashville 112 s with eps12 and tt12 speakers about a year ago I bought a fender cdr for my tele a time or two I tried the steel in it wow what a awful sound put it back in the closet a month or so after a lot of research I pulled the deluxe out started swapping speakers out wow what a great sound I also bought a new tonemaster twin and a new drri and love them bought in all of the proses I ordered the eminice wheelhouses and put it in deluxe cdr amp this thing is loud and I mean loud compared to the tt12 I’m about a number and a half lower to match the tt12 I will be ordering another wheelhouses going to put the Nashville 112 in the closet it can’t match the tone I’m getting out of the fender amps