The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich or Hilton Volume Pedal?
Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 2:24 pm    

I need to get a new low profile volume pedal for better knee clearance. I have a Goodrich 120, but I'm thinking about going with the 'no pot' Hilton low profile pedal.

Any concerns for one over the other?

Any advice is appreciated.

==============================================

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 4:26 pm    

I used the same Hilton pedal for around 18 years without a hitch. No noise, pots to replace and it's as transparent as you could want.

If this one ever goes bad, I'll get another one.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 4:48 pm    

I have 2 Hilton that say "Hilton electronics" on the front and a Goodrich L10k, all great pedals. I have forgotten to unplug the Goodrich after i'm done playing so gone thru more 9volts than i needed to, I'll have that modded for a 9v wire going in when one of my amp repair shops starts accepting work again

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 8:10 pm     Goodrich or Hilton volume pedal

Volume pedals seem to be like amps. Everybody has their favorite. I would say try to buy from someplace or somebody that will let you return it if you decide it's not for you. You're going to get so many different recommendations that they're almost useless.

Here is my experience, which will probably not help one bit. I have used a Goodrich 120 with an Allen Bradley 500k pot for most of my 50 years of playing. I have had a Goodrich Omni, two Hilton's, tried out a Telonics, and currently have a Lehlie 90 and a Goodrich 120. Every one of these are good pedals. My pedal of choice is my 120 with the AB pot. My ears just prefer the sound of the pot pedal. I don't care for low profile pedals. The action is just too short and quick to suit me. I also have long legs and can't play a standard height guitar. My solution was to get the stuff I needed at Home Depot to make a lift kit and raise my guitar up two inches and added two inches to the height of my seat.

Good luck and I hope you are pleased with your final decision.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 9:31 pm    

I have a low profile Goodrich pot pedal and a couple low profile Hilton pedals. I use the Hiltons exclusively. There is a bit of tone difference. Some prefer the tone of the pot and some don't. I use the Hiltons mainly because they never give me any trouble and work flawlessly; no pots to wear out.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 11:25 pm    

To echo briefly what others have said, if you like the sound of a pot, stick with it. If you find you like the more hi-fi Hilton it won't let you down.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 4:33 pm    

I appreciate all of the responses. Good information to consider.