The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bruce Springsteen New Album
Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 5:56 pm    

Thanks much! Hoping he gets grammy too. Hoping he plays the grammys. Hoping he doesn't make me wear the same outfit last time I played the Grammys. Ha! Yea, me in video too, playing my 68 tele and lap steel in other.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 6:15 am    

Never write off Springsteen. He's a chameleon. That fact that I don't love everything he does is one of the main reasons I like him. He's always exploring, changing, staying true to what he needs to write. If it were all the same or easy to listen to, that would indicate a blandness or lack of creativity, IMO.

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 5:26 am     Bruce+steel

Got my copy on vinyl l love this album x100, the steel and lap work by all involved is just so moving, the strings, the huge choral vocals, the songs! My word! It’s just amazing! As always Bruce delivers the real deal. This album is too good for the Grammys. But, if the steel players do synchronized dancing while their parts play on Tape it may have a chance!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 7:57 am    

Between Nebraska--imagine that with a little pedal steel here and there--and Born to Run, how could he disappoint? One of a line of midwestern poets.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2019 9:42 am    

Yup, New Jersey, center of the midwest.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 2:16 am    

Yeah, eastern edge of the midwest... just above Oklahoma.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 6:42 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Yeah, eastern edge of the midwest... just above Oklahoma.

Hah! Yes, his songs have a definite heartland quality to them. As do Mellencamp's. The interesting difference I find is that Mellencamp, the true Midwesterner, writes of pride in small town roots & communities, even in the midst of struggles. Springsteen writes of getting out of little towns that trap their inhabitants. Angry youth wanting to avoid the pitfalls of their working class parents. He's often wanting to jump into the Charger or onto the bike with his girl and never look back, destined for some unspecified glory.

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2019 7:41 am    

Bruce's South By Southwest Keynote address from 2012 is entertaining and informative. It's about an hour long, but I found it quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW05XedG4zk

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 2:37 pm    

I had the great fortune to be back stage at the Southside Johnny annual Fourth of July show at the outdoor stage at the Stone Pony on July 6th courtesy of my friend Glenn Alexander who plays guitar for The Jukes.

What a great night, with threatening rain that somehow miraculously held off a great show was experienced by 5000 plus fans.

Opening was Gary Talent (Bruce Springsteen's bassist) and the Delevante brothers, Mike and Bob, whom my wife and I are big fans of. They had a couple of great albums in the early 2000's that featured John Noreen and Dan Dugmore on steel. worth looking into.

Bruce joined then on the last song and then seemed to head out, but after about an hour into Southside's set he reappeared and played 7 songs with the band. The place went wild.

I got to talk with Bruce shortly and told him how much I liked his new record 'Western Star' and a few songs I really liked, also named dropped our forumite Marc Muller. I also asked how his daughter was doing as an accomplished equestrian and said my daughter was into the same thing. He was very gracious and kind.

Also in attendance was my friend Steve Forbert and Danny Clinch who shot the pictures and videos from Bruce's new album and I mentioned the El Camino that forumite Charlie supplied and he knew that he was a steel player and was very cool as well.

Anyway, just wanted to tell my unexpected story that was such a great day for me and my wife Marylou

Myself and Bruce

My wife Marylou and Bruce

Bob and Mike Delevante, Danny Clinch and Gary Talent

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2019 9:47 pm    

Great story, Craig! I enjoyed the pics too. I’m a big fan of SouthSide & Bruce, but was not aware of the Delevante Bro’s. I will be looking in to them, so thanks for that.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2019 2:14 am    

VERY cool, Craig.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2019 10:59 am    

Haven't seen the movie yet but just heard Bruce's version of 'Rhinestone Cowboy', check out Marc Muller on Steel. Guess this song closed out the movie, from what I read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNt-LCsMqOw

This song 'Sundown' also has marc paying Banjo, my favorite from 'Western Stars'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAP1kU9M8rk

Marc, If you see this, was that done at Bruce's place?

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2019 11:22 am    

Hey thanks! Yes, his barn. 2nd day of shooting was in the 90s with no AC. You can see us covered in sweat. Rock n Roll! Oh, and it's a 6 string banjo so don't know if that counts. ha!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2019 11:39 am    

Very cool Marc, I haven't seen the movie yet, but a buddy down in Austin saw it and loved it, Will definitely buy the CD if I don't make it to the theater.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 1:15 pm    

I watched the movie Western Stars, and bought the movie version of the album (there are two separate, though similar, albums) which to my tastes sounded better. The songs, the lyrics, and the arrangements are all beautiful (it is a mature album dealing with themes that are not about partying, getting on a motorcycle, etc.), and Marc's playing on there is stunning. Usually when I listen to pedal steel guitar in a genre other than C&W, I listen and think of what I would have played instead, but on this his ideas are spot on. I really enjoyed his steel playing (pedal and non-pedal).

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 4:42 pm    

Thanks Susan for the update, I have the original CD release, didn't know they did a CD of the movie version, does it have Rhinestone Cowboy?

I agree the live recording are much better, Marc' s playing is great on that, funny thing is I was working today at the Jersey Shore and drove through Marc's town on my way home.

I also want to get the movie when it comes out!

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 4:58 pm    

Rhinestone Cowboy is on it.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 6:07 pm    

Thanks Susan!

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 8:31 pm    

Craig Stock wrote:
Thanks Susan for the update, I have the original CD release, didn't know they did a CD of the movie version, does it have Rhinestone Cowboy?

I agree the live recording are much better, Marc' s playing is great on that, funny thing is I was working today at the Jersey Shore and drove through Marc's town on my way home.

I also want to get the movie when it comes out!

I thought that was you!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2020 12:26 pm    

I have both Studio and Live Cd's of Western Stars, but only watched the Video in Bruce's Barn last night with my wife.

It is a great watch and Marc is all over it, What a great format and performance by al the players, and good to see Marc so prominently in the show.

Hope you get recall on future projects, this record is up there with 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' and 'Nebraska'

Check it out on Amazon Prime

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2020 5:14 pm    

I stumbled onto the movie this morning on HBO and got to see the whole concert. Very good even tho it is not my thing. I respect what Bruce has done and his talent. This is the best I have heard from him. Marc did a great job, just wish he could of been out front more. It is a great movie to watch. J.R. Rose

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2020 9:01 am    

Third time through on listening to the album. I just didn’t get it at first, but now when Moonlight Motel fades out I am really sorry it’s over. When my brother heard “Hitch Hikin” he said, “those are my memories”. Well, that’s Mr. Springsteen for you...

Great steel playing - I wish there was more! Song of the year nominee: “There Goes My Miracle” - a masterful work of pop songcraft, and his voice is amazing. The movie was enlightening too.