The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklins Method
Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 9:22 pm    

Who has bought it n' what do U think about it? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy, I'm always looking to learn, Thanks

Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 2:19 am    

Highly recommended. I'd been stuck at a pretty low plateau for years; this method was a total game changer. Paul is a generous and extremely skilled teacher. More resources offered than you can imagine, including a private Facebook group where you can post your practice vids and Paul offers direct, encouraging feedback.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 4:54 am    

If you're "lookin' to learn", it's a great place to go. Paul is a masterful teacher and a woderfully approachable person. The videos (over 300, I think!) are worth watching more than once -- every time I revisit one, I find something I missed before. I am sure I'll never "complete" the course, but I sure am learning to play pedal steel, and am getting pretty comfortable with both necks. I just signed up for a third year.

--Al Evans

Bill Edwards

Centerton, AR
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 7:38 am    

I have taken the Method now for a little over a year, time is a factor for me as I am a Mayor of a community of 20,000 citizens so I stay busy, however I do like the access online where I can take a few minutes and review the material, and work on it, I have been devoting about a hour per day and feel I have been making great progress. There is also a private Facebook group where if you need help with Paul will actually respond to the questions and keep the students in the right direction. I did play about 20 years ago and gave it up and sold everything and am thankful for this chance to learn again, this has been fun and rewarding for me.

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 8:08 am    

Gary, if you are always looking to learn, you will love the Paul Franklin Method. You can learn a whole lot by participating on the students only Facebook page. That is where you can ask Paul or other students questions. It's a great learning tool. And it's very inexpensive when you see what you get. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. I started on day one and it has been the best thing ever for my journey.

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 8:31 am    

For me the method is great. I realized a while back I needed a new philosophy, or rather add new, bright ideas to the philosophy I already have. Before starting the method I identified 2 problems with myself that needed immediate attention, music theory and my lack of 1st finger use.

I already had the chops and feel in my playing (apart from not using my first finger on picking), but my music theory was lacking and it was holding me back with bands that don't play Buck Owens tunes 24/7. Within a few months I've started to understand the intermediate level theory that I skipped as a youngster. It's making my life a lot easier learning intervals and etc, and working with younger bands that play more minors and extended chords. The thing with the method is that it builds your knowledge from the bottom in a non patronizing way and also how to incorporate the theory onto steel. When I was in my teens I tried to learn theory but gave up, because all the courses on YouTube were too complex and didn't have any relation of how to actually do it on steel. I did learn the major system and Nashville Numbers back then, 1,2m,3m,4,5,6m and etc but the minors were still alien to me because I never learned how to actually use the system on steel! The method in its basic form shows you how to go to all these with ease and because you are going to numbers and not letters, you can play all these in any key.

I'm starting to speed up my right hand a bit by getting my 1st finger more efficient, I'm more of a middle and thumb person but the method gets you using all 3 for when it is needed through permutation practice. However, theory will always be on my mind and I'm sticking round the subject for a while until it is full ingrained.

There is something for everyone. Intonation, speed, theory, tabbed licks, how to use your equipment. It is well worth the money.

After 8 years of playing very hard and long hours with no real lessons through to the age of 22, through my YouTube channel and people constructively criticizing me...I was so lucky to not get into many bad habits. This course as a beginner will stop you getting into bad habits and if you're a more experienced player will correct any you have. Most importantly though, it shows you that there are actually many efficient routes to the destination. I've seen a few steel courses in the past that are "You must do it this way, or you'll suck forever", even though not everybody's physicality is the same. I've actually started wearing my thumb pick differently because of what Paul states in the method and it's cleaned up my thumb tremendously. I showed my dad and he was like "oh yeah, that's how I wear it" and I'm like "Come on dad, why didn't you tell me that earlier???"

What ever level you are there is something for you to learn. Whether you are the raw beginner jumping on from guitar or maybe your first instrument, through to intermediate players like me who have been around for a while, all the way up to steel guitar legends. Bruce Bouton is on the method...if it is good enough for him...it's good enough for me.

One thing I must say about the method is the belonging you feel. You get added to a group with other students, a lot of whom are great players and in that group you've also got the man himself, Paul Franklin. It's not just a couple of DVDs like in the past, it's a rolling community.

It's like an academy football player over here in England having Lionel Messi as their tutor. Which considering Lionel is on about 300k a week playing for Barcelona, isn't realistic Laughing
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 8:39 am    

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 9:32 am    

I agree with what everyone else has said..plus with the full course you get access to his private Face Book page where you can ask Paul questions and have him critique your playing and give you great personal advice. In my third year with him and I am a better player for it.

Paul Carestia

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 4:06 pm     Paul Franklin Method

I've been playing for 50+ years and I feel I'm a pretty good player. It's only been my avocation and not my vocation. I have found a tremendous amount of Paul Franklin's materials of use to me. I never had any instruction, so I learned the instrument the hard way.........putting the needle down on the record over and over and over until I got it. Paul's teachings are great no matter where you are with the instrument. He is just as at home with the beginner as he is with the seasoned player...........and he knows how to relate well to you no matter your level. His presence on the group's Facebook page is excellent. His comments are spot on and he is so very respectful of every student, adding encouragement, providing timely and excellent feedback, and it's very clear to me having achieved all that he has in his life as a pedal steel player, he is driven to pass the knowledge he's gained on to the next generation of pedal steel players. I only wish I had had this course 50 years ago. I highly recommend it. It is well worth the money spent.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 5:59 pm    

I'm about to start my 3rd year in Pauls method and I can say without a doubt, it is the best decision I made regarding my pedal steel guitar journey! Pauls method is the most comprehensive pedal steel guitar instruction out there, bar none. It is a living, breathing library of knowledge that continues to grow all the time. Paul doesn't just show you his licks and solos (though he does some), but rather he teaches you how to play the instrument and create your own. Individualism is what Paul encourages in all his students.

One of the highlights is the private Facebook group for method students. Here you can learn even more things from Paul, as well as other fantastic players like Tommy white, Bruce Bouton, eddy dunlap and.more. these guys are also in the method and they comment and add to the Facebook group often. Paul is there to answer any questions you may have about lessons and you can even get some constructive criticism directly from Paul if you choose to upload a video showing what you are working on from the method. Heck, Paul will even give you homework now and then. 😁

If you want to become the best player you can. If your goal is to be able to listen to a phrase, lick or solo and be able to figure it out for yourself. If you want to create your own licks and solos rather than playing from "paint by numbers", then Psuls method will give you the tools to do all this and more. Paul shares with his students all the techniques and nuances necessary to play anything he has ever played or will ever play. And if he thinks of something else that he hasn't covered rest assure, there will soon be another lesson on the course!

Probably the thing that I respect the most, Paul didnt do this for the money. Its obvious from talking with him that he genuinely cares for his students and the instrument and wants to do his part to help the next generation of players reach their fullest potential. Im proud to say I'm a method student! One of the kindest, most down to earth guys you'll ever talk to or meet along with a great teacher and a world class musician is who Paul Franklin is!

Hope to see you in class!!!

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2020 11:04 am     The Paul Franklin Method

I've been a pro player for over 50 years. I met Paul in about 1975 at the recommendation of my friend and teacher, Bobby Black. Paul's passion for teaching was evident then and is greater than ever now. Paul's insight that he passed onto me, first by phone, then--while I was in Nashville to play the Opry--in person, launched me into a new realm of playing and understanding. I'm in my second year of doing Paul's method, and filling in gaps in my approach and understanding of the steel in particular and music in general.

I'd recommend the Paul Franklin Method to any pedal steel player of any experience and ability.

Steve Snedegar

Knoxville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 6:56 am    

Michael Stephens wrote:
Highly recommended. I'd been stuck at a pretty low plateau for years; this method was a total game changer. Paul is a generous and extremely skilled teacher. More resources offered than you can imagine, including a private Facebook group where you can post your practice vids and Paul offers direct, encouraging feedback.

Agreed, highly recommended. I played professionally in the 80's. Since then my guitar has been in the music room and played on the weekends. In the short time that I've had the course it has been of benefit in getting my chops back.

Paul Awalt

Greenwich, Ct.
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 12:42 pm     Pf

What's type of setup and location of, computer, keyboard, and mouse in relation to your sitting position at the guitar do most people use for PF's course.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 25 May 2020 1:18 pm    

Well, if this was a Mastercard ad, the answer would be:

PRICELESS !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 6:38 pm     Re: Pf

Paul Awalt wrote:
What's type of setup and location of, computer, keyboard, and mouse in relation to your sitting position at the guitar do most people use for PF's course.

I primarily use an iPad on a music stand in front of me. Plug it and my steel into a small mixer and practice through earphones to save my wife’s ears.

Last edited by Justin Emmert on 30 May 2020 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 2:33 am    

Printouts of tab for lessons in front of me, computer with videos immediately to my right.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2020 12:24 pm    

It's been good for me in spite of the fact that I've been playing 45 years. I'm always learning something new from the course!

Ray Frady

Rittman, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2020 10:28 pm    

Have any of you tried Travis Toys courses? Wondering how they compare.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 6:07 am    

I did it the first year and learned quite a bit. Knowledge "shortcuts" that save you time in learning.
After the year was over I was busy doing a lot of stuff and didn't have time to continue but it was helpful. Several months later I inquired few times if I could start again at the lower renewal rate. Never received a response so just started buying tab and learning on my own again.

K

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2020 5:34 am    

Hi Kristen-

Sorry to hear that! We have no record of receiving any correspondence from you. Last email we have regarding the PFM is the confirmation that you enrolled in 2018. We think of you every time the "Driving Nails In My Coffin" lesson comes up, hope you are doing well. Smile

Of course you can still re-join at any time at the $349 rate, just send us an email and we will send a discount code.

Our contact email is info@modernmusicmasters.com. Is that what you were using? We'd like to figure out where your emails went.

Thanks,

John at Modern Music Masters

Ray Frady

Rittman, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 10:49 pm    

Are the lessons Android compatible or do I need an Apple device?

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 10:43 am    

I'm into my second year. Really had to consider last time renewing as of course paying in Canadian dollars is a bit costly but there is always something on the lessons that spur a thought process with me leading me in interesting directions and new licks and phrasing that I really can use and does improve what I play.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 1:52 pm    

Ray Frady wrote:

Hi Ray-

They work on any device with an up-to-date OS.

The Chrome browser is preferred, but the Courses also work on browsers like Safari, Brave, Firefox and Amazon's Silk browser for their Kindle Reader.

John

Ray Frady

Rittman, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 8:06 pm    

John Spaulding wrote:
Ray Frady wrote:

Hi Ray-

They work on any device with an up-to-date OS.

The Chrome browser is preferred, but the Courses also work on browsers like Safari, Brave, Firefox and Amazon's Silk browser for their Kindle Reader.

John

Thank you John.

Jordan Slator

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 12:51 pm    

I'm very new at this, but had been trying to learn pedal steel for years using different methods. Inevitably, I ended up getting frustrated and then letting it sit for months and eventually trying some other method, with the cycle starting over again. I recently started Paul's "Foundations" course and feel like it's the first time I've actually truly learned something about playing. I love that he introduces concepts gradually. Most other courses I've tried start out along the lines of "Page 1... Here's every possible chord and scale in every position. Learn those. Then turn to page 2." With Pauls' method, it gradually soaks in over many lessons. I much prefer that. Again, I don't have much experience with it yet, but will definitely be moving to the full course when I'm done this.