The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup mounting on Stratocaster
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 11:40 am    

Which is better -- springs or short chunks of surgical tubing over the machine screws?

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 2:22 pm    

Springs are more "original" and I like that sound just fine for Fender pick-guard mounted pickups. If there is any scientific rationale for tubing, it is to very slightly dampen the microphonic tendencies of the pickup. That's what I've been told.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 4:09 pm    

Try them both see what you like...

A Jazzmaster uses foam.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 6:11 am    

Thanks for your replies, guys. I'm rebuilding a basketcase generic Asian plywood-bodied Strat copy from the '80s (that isn't worth the manure it'd take to bury it in) as a favor for a friend. It was his first instrument as a kid, and has sentimental value to him (and him only). The original pickups are mounted with springs. He wants a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails humbucker in the bridge position; it was supplied with tubing. I really can't fathom investing an extra nickel in this instrument, so what I've decided to do is use a combo platter of tubing on the Duncan and leave the springs on the other two.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 7:31 am    

Pre-CBS Strats and Teles used rubber tubing. I believe they changed well after CBS took over.

I generally prefer tubing myself, I think it makes a more secure, non-microphonic mounting. It does tend to dry-rot over time, and a good, strong spring works fie too. But on a cheapie mercy repair, whatever you have handy should work fine.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 11:15 am    

doesnt matter. whatever holds the pickup is fine. the geeks can tell you what years used what, but if you are just looking to install some pickups in a run of the mill strat....all work fine.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 5:10 pm    

Jack, I have a Squier plywood bodied guitar, it actually plays pretty well some of the Korean ones had nice necks but watch out the strap button's going to work itself loose over time.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2020 8:02 pm    

Gene Tani wrote:
...watch out the strap button's going to work itself loose over time.

Indeed! Both the buttons on this one have obviously spent some time in different places on the body. It has a new neck, a new custom pickguard, and all new electronics. All new, correct wood screws. Original body, bridge/trem assembly, backplate, and strap buttons. Just finished putting it together and did a rough initial setup. The laminated body is amazingly lightweight, and it actually sounds and plays pretty good.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 3:25 pm    

Go with springs. I've repaired many guitars and the tubing gets hard, cracks and just will not let you raise the pu's after they are aged, like myself. Confused