The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best setup for outdoor playing w/o outlet
Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 1:14 pm    

What is a good setup to run for playing Steel outdoors without a wall outlet , I figure I could run a amp that uses batteries ( which amp would be preferable for the best sound on a steel ) and then i could use batteries in my pedals.

Thanks in advance

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 1:48 pm    

Back in my R&R days, a 4500+ watt generator would run a 4 piece band, and a few lights.

Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 2:10 pm    

That would be plenty of power , I won't need quite as much juice. My sister is having a wedding this summer and she wants me to play the steel doing instrumental stuff during it . On account of the virus the venue has changed and is now going to be somewhere with not much access to power outlets and a whole lot smaller group so I don't have to be as loud with my session 500 Wink

I figure there's gotta be a good battery amp that can get clear sounds out and then just run my pedals through batteries too , there's a lot of amps out there. Not wanting to spend a whole lot, but I figure there's gotta be some sort of quality for a good price out there

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 3:25 pm    

I use the Roland Street Cube, $300 new just about everywhere, runs on AC or for several hours on a slew of AA batteries. It has amp modeling but I use the microphone pre setup and it sounds wonderful at modest levels. Two channels with individual effects so you can run a mic and instrument simultaneously, and with excellent Roland chorus, flange, and reverb it has served me so well I have two.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 6:05 pm    

Bose Sp1 Pro

Quite amazing, I’ve played several gigs when had to be quick in and out, two xlr/1/4 iin inputs, Reverb and eq on each input. Bluetooth audio in 11 hours on recharge batteries

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 6:50 pm    

Here's another vote for the Roland Cube Street! Great sounds, but the volume might not be enough for playing with a group (especially with drums)

Roland also make the Cube Street XT which is much bigger and louder and a couple hundred bucks more around $500.00

Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 8:14 pm    

The Roland street cube seems to be what pops up the most searching for a good battery amp. since it'll be just me playing, It might be the one. The price is right, is the reliability there ? How long does the battery last? I Won't be playing for long , just a few songs and then the wedding march songs, would sure hate to have the battery die halfway through Shocked

Thanks everyone for your input it does help,

Cody

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 12:39 am    

perfect time to grab a small generator. Ya know, it can also be used if your HOME power happens to go out to run a Fridge, TV, AMP etc.... Laughing

Its double duty !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 5:36 am    

Cody..12V to 120AC converters are available that would enable you to run a standard amp directly from your vehicle. The unit plugs into the cigarette lighter socket (or whatever they are presently named).

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 6:08 am    

i have a 400 watt inverter that makes a terrible noise when the amp is plugged in. you probably need a pure sine wave inverter which mine is not.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 6:17 am    

How about this? Quiet clean power and affordable

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-62523.html

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 6:24 am    

Cody Coombs wrote:
How long does the battery last? I Won't be playing for long , just a few songs and then the wedding march songs, would sure hate to have the battery die halfway through

With fresh batteries, my Cube Street will play for hours and hours.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 6:57 am    

On an outdoor gig you need a good sized amp.
Playing outdoors really soaks up the sound.
I was asked to play on a float in a parade and I bought a small Coleman generator.
It really worked good and was quiet. Very Happy
Erv

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 7:01 am    

I like the generator idea as it could serve other purposes. Buying a battery powered rig for one time lmited use seems extravagant and wasteful. I have a couple older yellow Crate Taxi 30s. They work ok for vocals and acoustic guitar but I wasn't happy with pedal steel or telecaster tones. I suggest you weight your options carefully and consider what you need after the gig.

Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 7:54 am    

You guys are absolutely right about the amp only serving one purpose, with the generator it can be used for far more and there's times where It could have been great if I had a generator. I guess I wasn't aware they make generators a little more quite than the older ones , I was under the impression there would be a loud motor hum going on.

That harbor freight predator inverter generator seems worth looking into , thank you everyone

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 11:45 am    

The key here is INVERTER technology. These Inverter generators are perfect to run electronic equipment with a smooth and steady flow of AC current. I have 2 Honda EU 2000 generators I use camping and for anything else I need. With a recent Tornado we had no power for 5 days ran both generators in Parallel for Refrigerator, Freezer, Lights, TV, cable and internet. 5 days and nights 12 gallons of gas.

Barry

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 2:18 pm    

Besides the pull-rope gensets, there are also the chargeable kinds that are not motors running on fuel. I'm not sure off hand what to suggest there but you can guess this wedding at this time is going to be a beyond the call of duty effort from many sectors including the wallet.

You might want to check at your local supplier for such a device.

No gas, no motor no fumes, no noise. Not sure what these cost but there many making these types of portable power supplies. Maybe you can rent something.

Concert grade power supplies are usually large "crystal sync" to keep the 60Hz steady and not go up and down.

Maybe someone in your area rents those out rather than buying one?

The good units will not be cheap.