The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  walker stereo amp problem?
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 12:33 pm    

i just got a unit.
have had for about a month and just never got around to using it. finally got both speakers hooked up and when i tried to adjust the blend on both channels it blinked a couple of times and the power went dead. i don,t know if it is a fuse or something else. doe,s anyone know if mr, walker is still doing repairs?....thanks jack

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 12:52 pm     Walker Stereo amp problem

I talked to GD a few months ago. He said he is semi retired and not building the combo's any more. He is out of parts and it's too expensive to replenish. He said he was still building pre-amps and that he would do repair work as long as he lives.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 17 May 2020 1:00 pm     ?

thanks george, i will get in touch with him and see if he can check it out....jack

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 9:02 am     Parts

I’ve still got 4 of the power amp chip modules for these. I could send them to him,Jack. I’m not real crazy about fixing any more solid state amps myself

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 10:15 am    

Did you confirm the fuse is not blown? Did you have anything plugged into the AC outlet on the back of the amp when the issue happened? If you draw too much current through that outlet the fuse will blow. I've done that myself.

If the amp won't power on with nothing connected to it and a good fuse, you might have something wrong in the power section.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 12:22 pm    

If you short the speakers in any way you will blow a fuse with this amp.. I have 2 of them and have had 5 of them because I love the tone.. GD is a good friend.. Gotta keep a few fuses around because they are easy to short.. Just replace the fuse... Should be good to good.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 18 May 2020 12:27 pm     fuse?

is the fuse a special type or wattage? also where would i find them.?....thanks jack

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 7:05 pm     Walker Stereo amp problem

FWIW: This may not be relative to the SS amp, but I had an Evans FET 500 built by Darrell Stephens that kept blowing fuses at only one venue. I called Darrell and he asked if the fuses I was using were a strip of metal that looked like a lightening bolt or were they a wire. I told him the lightening bolt ones. He said to stop using them and and go to the wire ones and it should be fine. He was right. Never had a problem after that.

What ohm speakers are you using? The SS is built for 4 ohm speakers for maximum volume. You can use higher ohm speakers, but you will have to crank the volume up a bit to get the same volume level. You can't go down to a two ohm speaker. What do you have the parallel/series flip switch on the front set to. It should be on parallel. Mine would do nothing set on series.