The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Nashville 112 pops, rumbles, booms
Frank Lucas

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 12:47 pm    

I bought a new Nashville 112 in 2017 and it soon developed pops, rumbles, booms. Took it to 2 authorized repair places in Richmond, VA area. Still had issues. A year ago I sent it back to Peavey at their direction and they seem to replaced several parts (capacitors,etc). Problem still continues to this day. Trying to call them to see if there is any other resolution, but response is slow likely due to the Corona situation I would like to keep the amp and try to replace only the power amp section if at all possible. Just wondering if anyone else had has this issue and if any other resolution might be available. Thanks.

GFI D10 Expo
Peavey Nashville 112

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 2:08 pm    

I had some similar problems with a NV112. Internally there are two Molex connectors in the power supply section. I don't remember which one was the culprit. Just reseating (unplug then plug back in with the power unplugged) might do it. If not spraying both the male and female pins with De-Oxit (or similar) electronic contact cleaner should take care of it. "Take care of it" assuming this is the problem.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 4:54 pm    

Pop Rumble Boom

I have heard of the Peavey pop, when you turn it on; but, I have never heard of the Peavey pop, rumble, boom.

I hope Jack's suggestion fixes the problem. It must be very frustrating.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Frank Lucas

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2020 4:18 am    

Thanks Jack. I have reseated the plugs and that seems to have settled down the problems. Appreciate your quick response.

GFI D10 Expo
Peavey Nashville 112

Frank Lucas

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 4:46 pm    

The noises and rumbles had quieted down for week or two but has returned. No response from my emails to Peavey. Anyone have anymore ideas.

GFI D10 Expo
Peavey Nashville 112

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 9:49 pm    

Did you try the de-oxit?

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 2:37 am    

I have a NV1000 and it did the same.
Same fix - cleaned the Molex connectors and no more problems.
Sandy

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 7:02 am    

Frank,

I don't know how many people are working at Peavey right now.

But if you want to pm me, I will give you a direct phone # for the main service tech.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Frank Lucas

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 8:23 am    

deoxit process and reseating of the connectors into work for a couple of weeks. It was quiet for as a mouse for about 2 or 3 weeks. Now it's started up again with a groaning sound. Sounds like a wounded animal.

GFI D10 Expo
Peavey Nashville 112

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 10:31 am    

You would have to get into it with the power on and speaker connected, but wiggle the two Molex connectors to see which one is the problem. Be careful as there is AC line voltage in that area. Once you find which one is the problem, respray both the male and female pins. If that doesn't permanently fix it, likely one of the female pins need "reformed" (made smaller so it makes good connection).

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 4:56 pm    

I talked to Mike Brown in Facebook a couple of nights ago, he informed me, there are hardly anyone there anymore.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 1:45 am    

The thing about it is pops booms and rumble don't magically disappear. If the amp is bad , they are present ALL THE TIME.

Jacks recommended procedure should be applied to every connector including the Reverb chassis and TANK connectors.

If one connector is oxidized, are we thinking others are not ? Question

A few weeks back a good friend had similar intermittent issues with his Evans, as Jack suggested here, I suggested pulling the chassis and cleaning every connector.

I also suggested "burnishing" the 1/4 jacks, ins and outs, ( fine file , scraping etc,) which many times a spray cleaner cannot quite clean enough.

All intermittent issues went away.

Another neat trick, while the amp is NOT performing well, stick a 1/4 short cable in the effects send and return. These chassis mounted jacks are hardly ever used, if at all, so the odds of corrosion or added oxidation is very high. In many cases ground returns are thru these circuits. Don't overlook those. Burnish and clean.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Frank Lucas

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2020 3:52 pm    

Thanks again to all, I will try to do as suggested with cleaning/burnishing.

GFI D10 Expo
Peavey Nashville 112

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 3:51 pm    

I had something like that with my MB 400,I had a couple of caps replaced, the molex connectors checked out,and t the pots cleaned out. You may also take some rubbing alcohol and a Qtipand swab out the Jack's on your amp and guitar. Would not be a bad thing to check your solder joints too. I hope this will help.

Frank Lucas

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2020 3:14 pm    

Tried a few cleanups and not much has helped. Peavey never responded. It's just frustrating since I have a Music Man amp I bought in the 70's and have never had an issue with it.
Guess quality was different back then. This amp is just a few years old and rarely leaves the house. I'll keep trying and appreciate everyone's suggestions.

GFI D10 Expo
Peavey Nashville 112

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2020 2:15 am    

All amps can develop problems, any brand. If they never required service there would be no need for amp repair techs or warranties. I worked as an amp tech, in Nashville, and worked on all brands both tube and solid state.

Looks like your best option is to take it to a repair shop. Since you are in Virginia maybe a trip to Billy Cooper's.

Frank Lucas

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 4:24 pm     Nashville 112 problems seem to be fixed

Just wanted to give an update to my issues I had with my NV112. I continued to have worsening problems with my amp as previous stated. I decided to take it back to a local music store which sells Peavey products. This time (with my history of what was done to the amp when sending to Peavey) the amp guy went through all the electronics and I think has found the issue. He explained that when the circut boards had several bad connections,possibly due to process of assembly of the board. He went through all the connections, replaced some parts, chips, etc found several poor connections, and the amp is now working great.

GFI D10 Expo
Peavey Nashville 112

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 6:36 pm    

I have had issues like that in various Peavey amps. Most of the time it was a bad connection somewhere. I have had success finding it with just a plastic stick and wiggling wires with it powered up till I can get it to do it when I get in the right area. As others have said, most obvious are the push on connectors. Bad solder joints require reheating. Sometimes the discovery comes quick, other times requires some patience.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 11:09 am    

Aah---the bane of Peavey amplifiers is those damn MOLEX connectors!IMO,the best solution is to replace the cheap tin pins with gold ones:
From Mouser:
Cable mount, male:P/N 02-06-6102
Cable mount, female P/N 02-06-5102
PC mount, male: P/N 02-06-6122
PC mount, female: P/N 02-06-7104
The cable mount ones are ~ 35¢ apiece, the PC mount ones are ~ 65¢ apiece (??). Cheap in the long run, though---no more intermittent connections!!

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 5:39 pm    

Mine was making an awful noise too and eventually I disconnected the reverb tank and it stopped. I then sprayed the molex connector with contact cleaner, plugged and unplugged a couple of times and sprayed it again. I've not had a problem with it since.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 9:15 am    

I think popping, rumbling, and booming would be caused by a faulty active component like a transistor or even a resistor -- in general I would not suspect a connector.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 6:01 pm    

Quote:
I think popping, rumbling, and booming would be caused by a faulty active component like a transistor or even a resistor -- in general I would not suspect a connector.

George, mine would just make an unnaturally loud hum until I touched the reverb knob on the front panel. At that point it would make such an explosion of noise I'd nearly jump out the window. And I can tell you with certainty it was the molex connector. After I corrected that it's been as quiet as a mouse.