The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  International Steel guitar convention question
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 11:22 am    

The closest thing to an international steel guitar convention is the Texas Steel Guitar show at Dallas. The chances of anything bigger or better being held ever again are slim to none. The St. Louis show had gone down hill pretty far the last several years it was held. The world changes.

Get behind the Texas Show! Make it even bigger and better and don't take it as a given fact that it will go on forever either.

As far as the SGHOF discussion, the idea of a virtual HOF seems the most reasonable and achievable. Maybe it could be pinned to this Steel Guitar Forum site somehow? After setting it up initially would it actually cost very much at all to host and maintain it? It would be a shame for it to be forever lost but the reality is that there are just not very many people in the world who care about it in the least bit, and there never were. The idea of a building for it was a pipe dream of Scotty's at best and I say that with all possible respect.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 11:26 am    

Doug Earnest wrote:

As far as the SGHOF discussion, the idea of a virtual HOF seems the most reasonable and achievable. Maybe it could be pinned to this Steel Guitar Forum site somehow? After setting it up initially would it actually cost very much at all to host and maintain it?...

I agree with Doug. AND there's another reason to favor a virtual SGHOF: The website could have links to photos, recordings, videos, full biographies, etc. of every member, making it far more interesting than just looking at a bunch of plaques every year. Yup, I think this is the only way to go.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 5:07 pm    

https://b0b.com/wp/isghof/

It could be expanded into a dedicated web site, if someone wants to take over content management.

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 6:16 pm     Virtual Is the way to go

Now it's getting interesting

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 6:27 pm    

Perhaps Herb could take it back to the SGHOF board to see if they'd like to take this ball and run with it?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 6:54 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Perhaps Herb could take it back to the SGHOF board to see if they'd like to take this ball and run with it?

When you start making suggestions like that, Jim, you better attach a couple LOL emojis!!! Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 4:49 pm     Steel guitar rumors

I too agree that it is better to move to a virtual or online site, or move it to Dallas show, but virtual sounds more interesting because it can be there forever as well in digital space.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2020 7:29 am    

Daniel Neill of Canada is doing a research project about the ISGC and the TSGA shows and history.

I believe he has already interviewed Herb and bOb and is awaiting to interview me, myself and I.

Maybe he could be a resource for the HOF in the future.

Once again, there is a lot of discussion here, but has ANYONE talked to Michael Scott to see what it would take for him to part with the plaques long enough to get really good photos for a virtual site (which he had by the way).

I really think Mike's main interest is to sell the plaques to someone.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.