The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Profex II RAM card, help.
Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 2:17 am    

I was very kindly sent this RAM card by member James Sissons, unfortunately the card battery was dead so the contents were lost. I have installed a new battery and when I insert the card I get the following message, can anyone advise me please?

[/img]

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 4:58 am     Battery

Some notes.

Battery replacement near the end

RAM card notes:
The RAM card acts as a memory extension for the storage of 128 additional presets and 128 additional programs. Presets can be accessed individually and played directly off the RAM cartridge without the need to load them into the user memory. The 128 additional programs appear as program bank C and can be setup to point to any preset in the Cartridge, User, or Factory preset memory. Insert the card with the small metal cover down. The metal cover is inserted first into the card slot. The cover protects the small connections on the card’s edge. This cover slides back as the card is inserted to expose the small metal connections on the card. It will snap into place when inserted correctly.
Note: The RAM Cartridge menus are accessed through the Global button Initializing a new card:
Initializing a new cartridge: A new cartridge (or one that has had the battery replaced) must be initialized for use with a Profex 2, Transtubefex or Tubefex. To do this, select the CART menu. Place the cursor under IN for initialize. And press the Store/Exec button.
WARNING: INITIALIZING THE RAM CARTRIDGE WILL OVERWRITE ALL CURRENT DATA ON THE CARD WITH THE USER PRESETS.
Saving Presets on the Cartridge: (saves your customized user presets to the card)
Presets may be stored individually to the Cartridge by using the store procedure, or all USER presets may be SAVED on the cartridge by using the SAVE function on the SAVE User->Cart [CART] menu. This function also writes PROGRAM BANK A (user presets bank) into PROGRAM BANK C (RAM cartridge presets) as well as converting all pointers to USER PRESETS into pointers to CARTRIDGE PRESETS in the process.
Loading Presets from the cartridge: (loads presets from the card to the user presets in the Profex)
Cartridge presets may be recalled individually from the cartridge to the edit buffer, or ALL presets may be LOADED to USER preset memory by using the LOAD function on the SAVE User->Cart [CART] menu. This function also writes PROGRAM BANK C (RAM cartridge presets) to PROGRAM BANK A (user presets bank), converting all pointers to CARTRIDGE PRESETS into pointers to USER PRESETS in the process.
Cartridge battery:
The cartridge has a replaceable backup battery, which maintains the memory while the cartridge is removed from the unit or the unit is turned off. The battery will last 2 to 5 years, depending on the model. If the battery becomes low, the unit will warn you by periodically displaying the following screen:
CAUTION Cart. Battery Low
Note: If this message is displayed you should back up your cartridge memory immediately (unless the presets are already in you user memory), then replace the battery. After replacing the battery, the card can be reinitialized and USER presets from Bank A will be written back to the card. The battery is a common lithium battery, model CR-2016. These can be purchased at Radio Shack or most any photo/electronics counter in a variety store. Replacement is very easy. A small plastic holder holds the battery in the card. Hold the card in your hand, with the metal protector down in the palm of your hand. Look closely at the top, left edge of the card. You will see a very tiny slot running left to right along the face of the card edge, about 3/8” long. Insert your fingernail in the slot and pull with an outward motion. The battery and holder will come out of the card. Note the polarity, the battery positive is upwards, towards the face of the card, opposite of the metal protector side of the card.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 5:02 am    

The DPM 3 is a Peavey synthesizer. I'm fairly sure the memory cards are the same, but it is probably formatted or set up to work in the synthesizer, not the Profex.

Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 5:31 am    

Thank you Ken and Richard for your replies, I'll see how I get on.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2020 7:29 am    

Yes that card will not program as it is ROM, read only memory

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2020 6:24 am    

Dave, it appears you need to have the presets reloaded for the card to work. Hopefully someone in the UK can help. I have an original card but some of my saved presets have been altered by me so there not all the same as Jeff Newman. You can program all your own using the chart Jack Stoner made and donated to the forum.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 12:18 pm    

My error. If it had a battery then it must be a RAM card. If so it might initialize if it has the storage capacity of the Peavey cache card. I know a Roland 256 and 512 cards will work as I have both

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 1:12 pm    

Ken Fox wrote:
My error. If it had a battery then it must be a RAM card. If so it might initialize if it has the storage capacity of the Peavey cache card. I know a Roland 256 and 512 cards will work as I have both

Right. I had a Roland D50 synthesizer that used those cards. When I had a Profex 2, I used one of the cards I had with it.