The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  **Help Save Lives: Wear a Face Covering Out There!**
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 12:36 am    

Dear Steel Forum Friends:

As you know, many of the wonderful players in our community are members of a high risk demographic--those Americans over 60 disproportionately negatively impacted by Covid-19.

So, please, if you care about them, wear a mask or some kind of a cloth face covering when you go out to any public place you're likely to run into other citizens-- like the grocery store.

And let me be clear: The main reason you do this is to prevent the spread of any germs you may be spreading.

According to BBC science writer RIchard Grat, "One of the reasons widespread, public face mask wearing is so important with Covid-19 has to do with the prevalence of asymptomatic carriers who can still spread the virus to others. It is estimated that anywhere from 6% to almost 18% of those infected can carry the virus without developing symptoms."

So, here's how it works: When I wear a face covering, I'm protecting and showing respect for YOU; when you do the same, you're protecting and showing respect for ME.

It's that simple. Failing to wear a mask in these public spaces is the equivalent of a big 'ol F-you to the most vulnerable among us.

So, please--let's protect each other, steel guitar players!

For more information, see:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200504-coronavirus-what-is-the-best-kind-of-face-mask

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 3:35 am    

I fail to understand why people cannot get this simple concept.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 4:38 am    

It's a no-brainer.

The other day I ventured out for something 'urgent' from the grocery store. I was dismayed that almost nobody was wearing a mask and, worse, they were ignoring the 'one way system' instituted by Publix. After twenty yards of this I turned tail and decided I could manage without the handful of items I was seeking. I left the store.

I'm at a loss to understand how people can be so irresponsible.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 8:06 am    

It’s a no brainer if you have a fully functioning brain.

Just to stay on topic for the event announcement category, I am not having that party this weekend. It has been rescheduled for 8:30pm next year.

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 2:07 pm    

Here’s a PSA regarding this virus that I ran across
Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kxhGxDz-ziY&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Duncan Hodge on 8 May 2020 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 3:04 pm     Mask

I always wear a mask out but here in Illinois we have been under a mandatory lockdown in our homes for 8 weeks They say it takes 2 to 14 days to catch this stuff and we are seeing over 2000 cases a day Something isn't adding up and I"m not staying in this house until I die of old age.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 May 2020 5:27 pm    

Mark, I sent you a private message.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 2:05 pm     The Intentionally Fail

K Maul wrote:
I fail to understand why people cannot get this simple concept.

K, as Roger notes, "It's a no-brainer." The problem is some folks--too many folks--are either not using their (or don't have) brains. It doesn't help that the leader of the free world refuses to wear a mask and goes out of his way (as he did again today) to suggest masks might not be such a great idea. Of course, he's wrong.

If EVERYONE wore a mask when they went out, it would dramatically slow the spread of Covid-19. It's THAT simple. If everyone respected the CDC's social distancing guidelines, that would dramatically slow the spread of Covid-19. It's that simple.

Look, I understand people wanting to get out of the house. I do, too. I want to go back to work. I want to go see Chris Scruggs play live downtown (I live in Nashville).

But I also understand science. Apparently, a lot of Americans don't. I doubt there's much resistance to mask wearing in our community. In my experience, steel guitarists happen to be among the most bright and gifted people I know. Something about this instrument attracts brilliance.

So, which one of you geniuses is gonna design a comfortable, effective, cool-looking mask? I promise to model a prototype if you do!

Was that just a mask challenge?
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Rex Lindsey

Ellisville, MS USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 7:38 am     Masks

Lemmins - The mask do little to noting.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 8:13 am     Re: Masks

Rex Lindsey wrote:
Lemmins - The mask do little to noting.

Your command of the English language underscores your expertise in this matter. Shocked

When life gives you lemmins...

Rex Lindsey

Ellisville, MS USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 1:14 pm     Masks

LEMMINGS - LEMMINGS - LEMMINGS - I am guilty of not being able to read my own writing.

That has nothing to do with you being a USEFUL IDIOT -
go ahead and drink the Kool-Aid.

Just for the record - I KILLED Lemmings in Alaska in 1973.
Most likely before you were born.

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 4:47 pm    

Why would you kill lemmings, or lemmins?

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 4:55 pm    

Why would you kill lemmings, or Lennon’s?

Rex Lindsey

Ellisville, MS USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 4:58 pm     mask

I killed the Lemmings because they were a pest - still are I am sure. How many of them do you want living in your home ?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 5:30 pm    

All this time I thought you just waited for lemmings to follow each other off a cliff. Those Alaskan ones must have been wearing masks when they jumped...