The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Derby SD 10 owners guide needed
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 11:57 am    

Anyone have a owner's guide for adjustment and tuning of a Derby SD10 3x5 you can send or post? Thanks

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 12:08 pm     Derby Info

This is what I have... May have to copy and past into your browser. If it doesn't work eMail me.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=594320D13092D8FB%218357&cid=594320D13092D8FB

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 12:48 pm    

http://steelguitar.com/manuals/Dekley_OwnersManual.pdf

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 6:28 pm    

Thanks Dick. Jon is the Dekley the same setup? I downloaded it and will compare it, thanks.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 1:41 am    

No Larry. I am just stupid. Not the first time I saw Derby and thought Dekley. Sorry about that.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 6:05 am    

Jon, don't worry, I downloaded it before reading it was Dekley. I believe the Derby is all pull so much of the information is similar. I didn't want to get things out of whack by turning the allen screws at the changer top before knowing the right procedure. The Es need a bit more lowering than what the nylon tuners can do. Thanks.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 6:37 am    

Email Dick. The Derby changer is different. You need to understand how the max lower screws work. It's a great changer but you need to understand it's idiosyncrasies. Also, be aware that the aluminum spacers between the nylon tuning nuts and the finger can fuse to the rod which renders the tuning nut ineffective. That's easily fixed by removing them and cleaning up the inside diameter with a file so there are no burrs.
Get hold of the correct manual from Dick Sexton.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 7:43 am     Aluminum spacers...

Thank you Brian, I've never heard it put any better. Such an aggravation if you don't know what to look for and that goes for any brand that uses aluminum spacers against stainless steal changer fingers. I believe there have been a few. Haha! Good sound, good mechanics and good looks. Underrated!

I think I'll take a few pics and put them up here, get a visual going.

In the first picture, you can see that most of the used aluminum spacers are flattened and distorted on the ends. This is caused by the aluminum spacers butting up against the stainless steal changer finger of the guitar. This causes a bur to form on the inside of the aluminum spacer that rides on the the pull rod(drags) and can even hang on the threads of a pull rod if the tuning nut is backed off enough. When this happens, inconstant tuning is an indication and even not being able to tune at all in some extreme cases.

The arrow points to a new aluminum spacer. Above are what I have used as a fix, two nylon/delron spacers of almost the same size. I got those at Ace Hardware.

The other pic shows the threads on the rod where the spacer is hung up. Granted this is an extreme over-tune case, but it happens.