The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  8 String info please
Jimmie Miller

Dothan, Alabama
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 4:32 pm    

Non member friend has this and knows nothing about it. And neither do I. Trying to find out exactly what it is, and what it may be worth. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Erik Alderink

Ann Arbor Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 4:54 pm    

Looks like a Bigsby neck, made into a single with a multiharp triplex changer. There were some original Bigsby lapsteels but I am not sure that control plate looks like an original example. Could be one of the recent “PA reissues” as well. How long has the owner had it, is there any story behind it?

Last edited by Erik Alderink on 12 May 2020 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Jimmie Miller

Dothan, Alabama
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 7:08 pm     8 String info

He says it’s from the fifties.

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 3:22 am    

Whoa, a single neck original Bigsby with a Hise lever/changer! Shocked Looks pretty darn mint too. There was one similar on ebay several years ago ( without the cam lever ) and it drew several grands.
edit: here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1026402&sid=4a730eebef8e892730c984e82c5317cb

Erik Alderink

Ann Arbor Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 5:48 am    

That same guitar came up on ebay a few years later and sold for considerably less, unfortunately. Around half that if I recall.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=183651&highlight=bigsby

Regardless, like all things Bigsby and steel related, it’s worth whatever someone is willing to actually pay for it. If they really want to sell it, I’d suggest lots of detailed pictures and a detailed description. For some reason folks treat these things like they’re some top secret mysterious artifact, and it can be difficult to get the facts straight.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 9:38 am     Modded

Clear to me, though image foreshortened in 1st pic, the word BIGSBY is frt/center on the neck edge. What could ‘change’ (literally) the pedigree is that rare triple tuning device, with its bar lever. Wonder if FoBro Mr. Clinesmith has a view of this post yet. Question
Note: In this example, 3 holes in the top of headstock have vanished! (filled? Then buffed out?) Curious if there are two of a kind.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 1:41 pm    

Definitely Bigsby. The case looks original too. This one did not have a "head stock" changer like the other example Erik referenced . Must be a slightly later era.
Looks like an early example of the Hise hand changer, as all I have seen had a name tag type logo ( I believe with a Pat #), not stamped.
The pickup cover is from a later era, but Bigsby.

If the owner wants to email or call me I can get them the correct info/ and or a ball park figure. More photos would help. But sales of these guitars are a bit different than they were a decade ago it seems, especially a single neck. It should have a date / serial number on the underside

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Ethan Crum

Reno, Nevada
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 2:23 pm    

Sent you an E-mail.