The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using BIAB to make backing tracks in 6/8 time
Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 10:42 am    

Did BIAB finally update the program to really play compound time signatures like 6/8? There are a lot of modern songs written in this signatures plus they are syncopated rhythms. The old version I have doesn't have enough note resolution because it usings 3/4 triples to fake 6/8.
Henry

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 10:51 am    

Henry,

PG Music has added some true 6/8 based RealTracks in recent years. The program midi resolution has doubled from 480 ticks per quarter note to 960 ticks per quarter note. Band-in-a-Box added notation support for 6/8, 12/8 and 9/8 a few years ago.

But the program itself still is based on 3/4 and 4/4 time signatures so it still depends on triplets to simulate 6/8 time.

The per note resolution still defaults to 480 ticks so you have to go into preferences > midi options to increase the resolution. Once you do you'll find it much easier to edit midi notes into position.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2020 10:23 am    

Jim thank you for your reply. I don't see any of way changing the per note resolution in the MIDI options window on my BIAB program. It's version 2008.5 (261)
Henry

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 5:24 pm    

Henry,

I apologize, I misspoke in my earlier post. I wrote from memory so of course what I said was wrong. I should have verified my thoughts but didn't. Once again I apologize.

Try Ctrl = E to open Preferences and select the MIDI File button in the middle of the top row of buttons. The default MIDI PPQ setting is 120 PPQ but the setting can be changed to as high as 1,920 PPQ.

From the Help file:
Quote:
Resolution for MIDI File
By default, Band-in-a-Box saves MIDI files with 120 PPQ resolution. This is about 4 millisecond resolution, which is very good resolution. In our listening tests, people couldn’t tell the difference between files at 120 PPQ and files at higher PPQ (like 960 etc.). But if you prefer to work in a DAW at a higher PPQ, you can now have Band-in-a-Box output at the resolution that you want.

I have mine set to match the setting in my DAW.

Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 1 May 2020 2:11 pm    

My 2008 version doesn't have the option to change the PPQ setting in the MIDI File window either, The last entry box is: if the song has RealDrums. It's OK. To be honest I don't use this much anymore. It's on an old laptop that runs Windows XP Professional. Thank you for your help.
Henry

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 2 May 2020 4:16 pm    

Henry,

Thanks for your reply. I am typing this on a vintage 2007 laptop. I am the fourth owner / user. My eldest daughter got it for school and donated it to her younger sister who donated it to my wife who donated it to me. I've upgraded the operating system from XP, Vista, 7 and now 10. It's slow as molasses but it gets the job done.