The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sterling Silver Picks
Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2020 6:19 pm    

I've combined my experience as an engraver of coin dies with my love for music and over the past four years have developed what I believe are the best picks possible. These are die struck from Sterling silver and feature a thick, heavy blade but with a band thin enough to be easily adjusted.

I have two styles now with a gospel model and an economy model on the drawing board. I will have them listed on my website in about a week when I have some inventory built up. You'll like the tone of silver picks. The inner teeth really eliminate slipping and combined with the thick blades will deliver a very solid feel. The shield can be personalized with a hand engraved initial or monogram.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2020 6:29 pm    

Wow! I'm very curious how they really sound. I want mine to have a carving of Buddy Emmons' head portrait. I imagine you may get a few requests for the Christian cross; Lloyd Green; Jimmy Day; Jerry Byrd; endless list, eh?! Smile

Who have you made coins for? Interesting profession, are you a jeweler too?

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 1 May 2020 7:22 pm    

"We don't need no stinking nickel ". They look interesting, Ron. What would the price per pair be? Are you going to have several stock designs to choose from, or is everything going to be custom?

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2020 8:16 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:
"We don't need no stinking nickel ". They look interesting, Ron. What would the price per pair be? Are you going to have several stock designs to choose from, or is everything going to be custom?

They'll be priced from about $60-100. The ones pictured here are the $100 per pair silver picks which come with a money back guarantee. Custom engraving or custom shapes can run higher. 22k Gold is available for special presentations, etc. for much higher.

Last edited by Ron Landis on 2 May 2020 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2020 8:21 am    

John McClung wrote:
Wow! I'm very curious how they really sound. I want mine to have a carving of Buddy Emmons' head portrait. I imagine you may get a few requests for the Christian cross; Lloyd Green; Jimmy Day; Jerry Byrd; endless list, eh?! Smile

Who have you made coins for? Interesting profession, are you a jeweler too?

I've been a jeweler since 1970 and been engraving coining dies since 1982. I'm best known for reinventing the art of Hobo Nickels which is now flourishing. I was the first to make the transition from charming novelty items to high quality art. Also made the prototypes for what became known as the "Sacagawea Dollar". My brass patterns were distributed to Congressional members and did a lot to convince law makers to pass the bill, which had failed on two previous attempts. I also have to mention that I was once interviewed by the Treasury Dept. for the position of Chief Engraver to the U.S. Mint. All that, plus $2.25 will buy me a cup of coffee.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2020 9:35 am    

Ron, will you be making any non engraved (plain) models? Wishing you the best of luck!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 May 2020 5:43 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:

I want mine with the Jack Stanton in his 20's!

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2020 6:00 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:

Yes. I'll have stock designs and plain ones too that can be customized or left plain. I currently have three more styles on the drawing board.

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2020 6:02 am    

Doug Earnest wrote:
Ron, will you be making any non engraved (plain) models? Wishing you the best of luck!

Yes I'll offer plain ones. Actually, I've got other engravers looking for them so they can do their own engraving on them. They're more like fine jewelry than the inexpensive stampings we're all familiar with.

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 4 May 2020 1:34 pm    

Sorry to hijack, Ron Landis, but in response to Ron Hogan- someone came up to me a while back at a club date (remember those?) and said to me- " I used to come watch you play, back before you looked like Jack Stanton"s dad" Ouch

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 May 2020 4:27 pm    

Ron-I'm real interested. When you have these up on your website,can you post a link?

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2020 6:34 pm    

Dave Hopping wrote:
Ron-I'm real interested. When you have these up on your website,can you post a link?

I will. We're really close. I'll make a new post when they're officially listed. In the mean time, here's a set I made today with hand engraved initials..

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 5:17 pm    

We got the picks up on the website but we also have a glitch in the system which will be straightened out when my webmaster gets to it on Friday. The mobile version works fine but if you're viewing through a desktop, the top line of items can not be opened up. You can get around it by ordering a pair of singles. Anyway, here's the link...
https://www.landisstudios.net/finger-picks

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 7 May 2020 6:19 am    

Ron,
That last set looks fantastic. Do you find much difference with the attack having rounded tips, as opposed to the more traditional pointed ones?

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 7:14 am    

Ron, pros and cons, nickel vs. silver ?
they look great.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 8:09 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:
Ron,
That last set looks fantastic. Do you find much difference with the attack having rounded tips, as opposed to the more traditional pointed ones?

I was curious too then thought about it a while. Looking at my picks, they seem to only have wear on the upper side, not the tip.

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 4:23 pm    

memphislim wrote:
Jack Stanton wrote:
Ron,

I was curious too then thought about it a while. Looking at my picks, they seem to only have wear on the upper side, not the tip.

With more pointed picks, if your hand is not perpendicular to the strings, you're probably striking the string with the side of the blade. With my design, it doesn't matter what angle your hand is at. The "hemispherical" blade tip will be the same radius coming off the string no matter what angle your hand is at. Some people use angled blades to compensate, but my design is more versatile in that right hand, left hand, it doesn't matter, it's still the same radius. For dobro or steel, I think it's a real plus.

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 4:31 pm    

To make this shape work, it needs to be a thinner neck on the blade so the radius can go all the way around. That design wouldn't work very well with lighter gauges because the neck would be too thin and the blade would have more give. My picks are almost twice as thick as most others, so it's sturdy enough to do this shape.

Ronnie Myers

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2020 7:46 pm     Re: Sterling Silver Picks

Ron Landis wrote:
I've combined my experience as an engraver of coin dies with my love for music and over the past four years have developed what I believe are the best picks possible. These are die struck from Sterling silver and feature a thick, heavy blade but with a band thin enough to be easily adjusted.

I have two styles now with a gospel model and an economy model on the drawing board. I will have them listed on my website in about a week when I have some inventory built up. You'll like the tone of silver picks. The inner teeth really eliminate slipping and combined with the thick blades will deliver a very solid feel. The shield can be personalized with a hand engraved initial or monogram.

I like the silver initials picks large size maybe picks wont slip off i tried saddle picks but cant get use to them looking at 120.00 ones when available thanks

Jack Stanton

Post  Posted 10 May 2020 8:02 am    

Brooks Montgomery
Posted: 7 May 20 8:14am Post subject:

they look great.

Ron,
I'm curious myself about the difference in feel and sound...Thanks

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 4:37 am    

I just wanted to let people know that we were not in the shop last week. My production manager suffered severe burns a week ago, so production was shut down until we both return tomorrow. As of May 9, we were caught up with all orders and shipments. Also, I'm having difficulty receiving messages through the forum. You can also contact me through the landisstudios.net website, or call the shopp during regular shop hours 8-5 central time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

On another note, I've received so much interest in thumb picks that I'm now working on developing a line of thumb picks. I hope to unveil them at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, Kansas in mid September.

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 4:42 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:
Brooks Montgomery
Posted: 7 May 20 8:14am Post subject:

they look great.

Ron,
I'm curious myself about the difference in feel and sound...Thanks

Sorry, I can't really describe the difference. I like the silver for banjo and steel and I prefer the nickel picks for dobro but I'm afraid I can't even explain why. Try the silver ones. If you don't like them, return for a full refund or exchange for the nickel picks.
Thanks, Ron

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 7:08 am    

I think they are a GREAT new product, pricey or otherwise. The first time anything new or different has come along with picks in a long time. I very much like the ideal of the perforation's inside of the grip ring to help hold them onto your fingers. As we age most of us have drying skin on our finger tips. Makes it hard to keep our picks on. No one else has mention this in this post and I find that odd since we all have that problem. Maybe the OP, (Ron) are others can comment about this. I will be ordering me a set soon. J.R. Rose

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 10:37 am    

Hey, Ron, I'm seriously considering your new picks.
Any chance you could post a photo or two of the picks on your fingers, just for reference? Thanks.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 19 May 2020 11:46 am    

Daniel, the Landis Studios Facebook page has a photo with someone wearing the picks. Go to the Facebook page and scroll down to the May 2nd post.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/rlandis.studios/posts/