The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Brisbane Bop II"
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 4:18 am    

Met this great gentleman through his Youtube channel, and he's given me permission to share these 21 tracks of Vance Terry with Jimmie Rivers at the 23 Club in Brisbane. I'm afraid that's all he knows about them, so we'll just have to remain in the dark about provenance, but it sure sounds like them to me.

https://mega.nz/file/WpUGiSrJ#pkNkYlU4b8RJYPCZwTGn3WCwA8aL34Hqpx0DuKBCP1Y

Mods, I'll leave it to you to decide if this would get better exposure in a different part of the Forum; I know a lot of non-pedal people will want to hear it. Anyway, enjoy!

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 4:51 am    

Thank you!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 9:20 am    

what a treat. thank you for sharing with the class Smile

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 3:53 pm    

Mike, thanks for sharing.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 8:18 am    

Hung out there many times in the 60's but I don't know if any of those times involved recording of their performances. My guitar playing friend and me were in Heaven. They served some pretty good steaks there too.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 8:42 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
They served some pretty good steaks there too.

Not to mention the buffalo burgers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wLrx-v9fm8

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2020 4:45 am    

More than happy to share with the people I know will appreciate them!

As far as I can tell the 23 Club is still active or at least was a few years ago, you can find the phone number online in several places. Here's a current Google Maps shot:

I wonder if the fights still start at 10? Smile

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2020 9:11 am    

I wonder who lives upstairs..

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 6:11 am    

Gun molls?

Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 5:10 pm    

Thanks! I love the Vance Terry/Jimmie Rivers stuff. It's great to hear some more of it. Nice raucous medley of Caravan and Brazil!

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 8:57 pm    

The first time I played parts of it, was straight forward. Now they seem to want me to join or something to hear it.

But as I recall, they were broadcasting from "Dick's Tower," not the 23 Club where the original album was recorded. Well, Dick's was directly across the street from the "23 Club" (pictured above). In the late 70s when I played there, Dicks had live music four nights per week, and the 23 Club went six nights per week. People would stroll back and forth during band breaks, etc. It was quite the scene. The owners hated each other and often "stole" bands from each other.

Joe

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 4:14 am    

I think Jimmy Hoffa has the whole top floor to himself. Winking

Joe Goldmark, thanks for chiming in, this is great info. You shouldn't need to join MEGA, just hit the "Download" button when the page opens, and a Zip file with all the tracks will download to wherever your default download location on your computer is.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 8:33 am    

Quote:
I wonder who lives upstairs..

Donny Hinson

Gun molls?

Donny, my thoughts are, the ghost of Vance Terry still lives there....

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2020 12:17 pm    

Here's some more 23 Club stories.

When I first started going to the 23 Club in the early '70s, John DeMarco would stand at the front door and greet everyone who came in. Later, in the '90s after John had passed, his widow Lil, would occupy her perch at the end of the bar every night.

The walls were covered with archival photos of the touring bands that had played there during the '50s and '60s. The story is that Buck Owens would play there and not charge the club anything. However, he would put his guy at the door and take all the admissions, while the club pocketed the bar.

When my son turned 13, instead of a Bar Mitzvah, we held his record release party there. He had just written and recorded a funny CD called "You Bug Me." It was a hoot to watch which parents dared to come in with their kids for the party and which left in horror. Since the 23 Club was connected to a restaurant, it was OK to be under aged, but many parents were shocked that we would invite kids to a bar...

Finally, when I had a band called "Mental Revenge" in the '90s, we made a bandstand album that was never released. This band was actually "Jim Campilongo & the 10 Gallon Cats" with the addition of Gary Claxton on vocals and rhythm. We played classic country. Later Gary moved to Austin and became the vocalist with "Heybale" at the Continental Club. Anyway, here's "Healing Hands Of Time" recorded live there, with me trying to cop some of Buddy's signature licks.

Sorry, can't get the link to work.

Last edited by Joe Goldmark on 3 May 2020 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 May 2020 6:23 am    

Joe, I have to say that sounds like one of the most fun alternative bar mitzvah ideas ever. Cool

Cool that you were in a group with Jim Campilongo! I can't hear your file though, even though I created a Dropbox account which I had to, no other way to access it - but that still doesn't work. Says I have to sign in. I AM signed in, so I click the "sign in" link and it just goes to my Dropbox account page. If there's any other way you can share this file that would be great, but no worries if not.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 2 May 2020 9:28 am    

Hi Mike,
Sorry to go off topic, but I can't seem to do it. The tune is in my iTunes and Dropbox. How would you transfer it from there to here?
Thanks,
Joe

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 2 May 2020 10:56 am    

Thanks Mike. I love Vance's playing. I had to learn his and Jimmie Rivers' arrangements of Jammin With Jimmy and Twin Guitar Special for a swing band I was in, and it was a bit of work! Vance is truly incredible! He should've been remembered as one of the greats.

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 May 2020 6:24 am    

You're welcome Michael. Couldn't agree more.

Joe, check your PMs, I did a little Dropbox research and might have a solution. Either way, thanks for the stories!

Brett Bonner

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2021 6:51 pm    

The file is gone. Would someone please PM me with another link to share? Thank you in advance.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2021 8:14 pm    

Joe Goldmark wrote:
Finally, when I had a band called "Mental Revenge" in the '90s, we made a bandstand album that was never released. This band was actually "Jim Campilongo & the 10 Gallon Cats" with the addition of Gary Claxton on vocals and rhythm. We played classic country.

Joe, if there's any way to make the unreleased album available, I, and I'm sure many others, would love to get to hear it. I'm a huge fan of Jim Campilongo, the Ten Gallon Hats, and, well, you!

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2021 10:02 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Joe Goldmark wrote:
Finally, when I had a band called "Mental Revenge" in the '90s, we made a bandstand album that was never released. This band was actually "Jim Campilongo & the 10 Gallon Cats" with the addition of Gary Claxton on vocals and rhythm. We played classic country.

Joe, if there's any way to make the unreleased album available, I, and I'm sure many others, would love to get to hear it. I'm a huge fan of Jim Campilongo, the Ten Gallon Hats, and, well, you!

Same here, Joe. I'd buy!

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2021 11:16 am    

I'd love to get those songs. Hopefully someone who downloaded them can put up a link.
Crossing my fingers. And dropbox seems to be one of the best cloud storage places in my experience.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 8:21 am    

Bringing this thread back! I've been listening to a lot of Vance Terry lately. Would love to hear these other tracks!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 10:23 am    

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 1:05 pm    

Thank you Dave Zirbel. Who has that guitar of Vance's? He sure was a character and I wish I got to hang out with him a bit more back in the day.