The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows/Chrome Issue?
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 4:46 pm    

I bought a new computer a few months ago - Windows 10 Home. I have a habit of opening many tabs in Google Chrome when searching the net, sometimes opening multiple ones to then slowly review each one. However, this computer, compared to my previous one (given to my partner to use) seems to have a problem keeping pages open. So when I return to the page, it is blank, then refreshes - but that can change content. For example, here on the forum, I mostly use the "new posts" option to see what's happened since last I visited. If I then get side-tracked reading a couple of posts, then return to the search results, I find they have disappeared because this window has refreshed. Videos I'm watching start over instead of resuming where I left off.

Is this a cache issue? Other memory issue? An unhelpful "feature" I can turn off?

Thanks,

Doug

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 7:11 pm    

I suggest that you review all of the settings, starting with Privacy and Security, working down. Some settings have to do with your browser's cache. Others choose what tabs open with Chrome. There is even an option to clean up and restore the browser defaults. That might be a good place to start.

I would suggest reviewing any add-ons you have installed and deactivate any you don't really want or need. Outdated add-ons cause browser instability and can even become security risks if they are taken over by criminals.

Afterward, set the browser to open where you left off, then open your regular tabs.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 5:37 am    

Wiz, thanks for the info. I will start on it...tomorrow! I'll see what I can figure out.