The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking to upgrade steels, could use some advice
John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 8:53 am    

Hey ya'll

I'm at the stage where I'm making it out from beginner to steady gigging with my pedal steel (well, I WAS steady gigging, we'll see what happens Smile) -- ANYWAY I've been playing a carpsteel that I picked up from John Widgren, and I love the guitar but I think it's time for a little bit of an upgrade. There's some lack in tone to be desired, and I'm wondering where to go next. I'm looking somewhere in the 2k-2500 range absolute tops, and a single E9 neck that travels well (preferably on the lower end right now). I played a GFI Ultra on a few gigs last year and I really loved that thing, but still want to do some proper exploring before I settle.

Feel free to chime in with things to explore, thoughts, concerns, etc. I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to purchasing a steel, as there's so many options, and I'm based in NYC - so there's not a ton of steels around to try out and figure out what works best for me.

JB

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 9:16 am    

Since you are (obviously) not going to be able to try every guitar that is going to get thrown at you here in this post, and since there is pretty much nothing bad that can be said about any reputable modern steel, I would suggest that you give a LOT of weight to your experience with the GFI. I have no experience with it myself, but you are already past the intangible "I dunno...I took a chance but it just doesn't talk to me" with the GFI and that is huge.

John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 9:21 am    

that's good advice, Jon. Yeah im leaning towards the GFI but just kind of want to see what's out there in case something else comes along that makes more sense. Other than a Zum its the most comfortable I've felt behind a steel.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 9:22 am    

Start by checking out the major builders' websites and the SGF classifieds.That should answer a lot of questions,and the good folks here undoubtedly can answer enough of the others to make a decision easier.One piece of good news is that you can very likely get a factory-new name-brand S-10 3X4 in your price range,although it'll probably be a lot closer to the top price than the bottom.....If you're transitioning from six-string,you've probably already learned that there's some sticker-shock involved; there's no such thing as a Squier or Epiphone pedal steel! Winking

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 9:48 am     Upgrading from a Carpsteel S-10

Hi John,

You have a few options that are within your budget. Here are just a few examples:

A new (or used) Zumsteel Encore would be an excellent choice for the money.

http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/encore_pedal_steel_guitar

Mullen has the Discovery S-10.

https://mullenguitars.com/discovery

Fred Justice has several options.

http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/

A used Carter "Pro Model" S-10 is a great guitar for the money. I happen to have one for sale on my website right now. As you can see, it's in close to like new condition!

https://steelguitarwest.com/guitars-currently-for-sale/

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 10:24 am     Used Pedal Steel ..

Myself, I like Sierras, but after that it would be that Carter, which is for sale on the previous Post. When you get ready to sell it, you might get more money than what you paid for it (inflation never stops), as long as you take care of it... & the case it comes in.

John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 11:34 am    

hey Lynn, im going to write you about that Carter. Have heard great things about those as well, and that one looks beautiful. I have to unload this carpsteel first but I don't imagine that would be too hard as they seem to sell quick.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 12:07 pm     Carp Steel

There is a post on "Wanted to Buy" Carp Steel...

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 12:37 pm    

I just found a Rains SD 10 for $2000 for a buddy. That is about as good a guitar as money can buy. Get your money ready and be a little patient and you can move way up in quality.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 1:10 pm    

John, this is Ron Anderson, down here at Justice Steel Guitars.
I bet you would feel really comfortable behind one of our Justice "Pro Lite" guitars.
Its our # 1 seller, at 26 lbs its easy to tote around, yet its a pro guitar in every way.
Easy to get into with a low down payment.
Give us a call at 480-529-5096 and here's a link.
Thanks for looking.
http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/Pro%20Lite.html

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 2:02 pm     Upgrade Guitar

JUST TO TACK ON TO WHAT SOMEONE ELSE HAS SAID. I WOULD TEND TO GO WITH THE GFI SINCE YOU ALREADY INOW AND LIKE THE GUITAR. THEY ARE STILL BEING MADE AND EASY TO GET SERVICE. THESE OTHER SUGGESTED OPTIONS ARE GREAT BUT YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ANY OF THEM......FWIW.....CLARK

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 2:22 pm     Upgrade Guitar

ON THE OTHER HAND WHAT I JUST DISCOVERED:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=357008

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 2:31 pm    

Lotta money for a pull release with a fixed copedent and no neck, Clark. And kind of an anachronistic copedent at that.

I think GFI builds a great guitar, and you can get a pretty good price on a used one in general. Especially over the near future. The Justice is fabulous bang for the buck.

Can't go too far wrong with Lynn's Carter, which is much more guitar than the Jackson.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 3:06 pm    

I've owned 5 brands of steels. I presently play a Mullen G2 and think its great. For the money, I would go for a new Mullen Discovery. A pro model guitar, and the service from the Mullen crew is top notch. Just my opinion. Good luck

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 3:37 pm     I second the motion...

Ken Pippus wrote:
Lotta money for a pull release with a fixed copedent and no neck, Clark. And kind of an anachronistic copedent at that.

I think GFI builds a great guitar, and you can get a pretty good price on a used one in general. Especially over the near future. The Justice is fabulous bang for the buck.

Can't go too far wrong with Lynn's Carter, which is much more guitar than the Jackson.

I second the motion. I like Sierras as I have stated, so I don't think in terms of a heavy Pedal Steel Guitar. I started off with a 1973 D-10 ShoBud. It was great. Then I had an MSA SD-12.. I didn't care how much they weighed, I liked the way they sounded. My fist Sierra was a heavy guitar, It was a D10, with 9 & 6.. that was a lot of Pedal Steel Guitar. It was a Sierra Show model. But, when I think of a heavy instrument, I envision a Bass Fiddle or a real Piano & I'm glad I didn't go that way. That Carter will play like silk, you can play it in your pajamas. I can't do that with my Sierra, but I ain't changing PSGs...

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 4:19 pm    

My advice would be to go buy that Carter from Lynn Stafford just as fast as you possibly can.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 4:35 pm    

I would be remiss to omit that I recently owned a Zumsteel Encore for about two weeks. I thought it was a great playing and sounding guitar. And an unbelievable value. But it didn’t have a C6 neck, which I decided I needed.

Take that, Doug Earnest.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 6:31 pm    

GFI. Justice. Every one I’ve played has been great. .
If you can wait for one to come up, a Zum or a later model Rittenberry. Those are my personal favorites.
Also, a Push Pull if you can swing it. There have been quite a few for sale lately.
John

Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 10:02 am    

I have owned a number of steels. All have been good and reliable. I had a Carter U12 for nearly 20 years. I sold it to raise some needed cash. It was the most reliable instrument of any kind I have ever owned. It had tone to the bone, and stayed n tune better than any of the others. It was also the lightest weight of any. Wish I still had it. Smile

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 2:15 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:
My advice would be to go buy that Carter from Lynn Stafford just as fast as you possibly can.

John, this is coming from the guy who builds Stage One steels!

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2020 11:23 am     Carter

CARTER SIMILAR TO THE ONE ABOVE JUST SOLD IN ONE HOUR AND 6 MINUTES..FOOD FOR THOUGHT Very Happy

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2020 1:22 pm    

John

Get that carter from Lynn. Great pro guitar. Modestly priced.

Bill

John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2020 8:35 pm    

I switched gears and bought a Emmons S10 P/P Shocked Rolling Eyes

thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to just go for what I always wanted in the first place but never allowed myself to have.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 3:41 am    

John,Where in New Yawk is you?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 9:26 am    

Stu, I'm in the city in Brooklyn