The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Please close
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2020 10:31 am    

Please close

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 27 Nov 2020 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 12:37 pm    

Thanks. I watched it. It was interesting.

K

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 4:54 am    

Hi Susan,
Interesting stuff. What got you started in the alternative type music? it it very artie. Did you live or grow up in Houston?
Thanks

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 6:48 am    

Kristen and Roy,

Thanks for watching yesterday. I know that the music I play isn't everyone's cup of tea and especially steel players.

Roy, my family moved around a lot when I was young, so I sort of grew up all over the place (including Orlando, Florida - I went to Winter Park High School). I lived in Houston for 27 years.

As to what brought me to a certain type of music, that's a long story (as are all of our stories), but I'll try to make it short. From an early age I had an affinity for all different kinds of music - and maybe in some ways it was a certain vibration that resonated with my nervous system or brain. My mother sang with the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra under George Szell, and my father would do this mime act imitating other singers of the era, so there was a lot of classical music and big band jazz in the house. My exposure to other kinds of music began when I was entering my teens and rock music (Jimi Hendrix, The Cream, Janice Joplin, Frank Zappa) was becoming a big thing. When I was fourteen, I heard John Coltrane on the radio and was absolutely spellbound by his music (this was late John Coltrane when he was a bit more out there). The same thing with French composer Edgard Varèse whom I discovered in the liner notes of a Mothers of Invention album. At this time, an age where we soak everything up, I was also learning more about blues, different world folk musics, bluegrass, and country. I played full-time in country bands for twenty years or so, but always wanted to explore other ideas and so I did, and I gradually started to do more of the mish-mash music I now play mostly solo and less country music. I didn't plan in advance to do that, that's just the way it turned out.

Again, thanks for taking the time and having an open mind.

Susan

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 10:11 am    

Susan, I applaud you for finding your own voice on pedal steel. Even more cool to give exposure to another audience. Though not my taste in music, it takes all kinds to please the masses. I respect your decision and talent.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 1:40 pm    

Thank you, Larry.

- Mary Oliver

John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 2:35 pm    

Susan, you are a big reason as to why I started playing the PSG. Keep up the wonderful adventurous music.

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2020 4:18 am    

Susan

Thanks for posting.

Really coming to appreciate and enjoy your style.
I had several Mothers of Invention / Frank Zappa records as a teenager also.

If you are a performer at the next Guelph Jazz festival
I will come see you again.

who knows what events will be this year given the virus....the border between our countries has never been closed before in my lifetime

Take care

Mike

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 12:56 pm    

Thank you John and Michael.

John, I'm glad that I was at least part of the reason you are playing the pedal steel guitar and even more glad that you are playing this instrument.

Michael, I thoroughly enjoyed Guelph, the festival, the people, and the city (with its share of interesting characters). I was scheduled to be there this year with one of the bands I play in, but the guitar player couldn't make it, so we didn't take that gig. But maybe next year her schedule will be different and we can all play. If we are there again, it will be great to see you!

- Mary Oliver

fraser

seattle wa
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 1:21 pm    

So, are you from Cleveland, Susan? I used to deliver the Plain Dealer to George Szell.

Fraser

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 2:26 pm    

I was born in Cleveland and lived there until 3rd grade. My family is from there, so I watched Barnaby, Captain Penny ("You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you can't . . .) and Dorothy Fuldheim. My parents subscribed to the Plain Dealer. Most of my family lived in Cleveland, and my father was a big Cleveland Browns fan. That's cool that you delivered the paper to George Szell - did. you ever meet him?

- Mary Oliver

fraser

seattle wa
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 1:54 pm    

He was one of my "prepaid" customers so even though he lived on my block, I never met him. I saw him conduct the orchestra a handful of times before his retirement in 1970. I have tons of CDs and records of him conducting the orchestra as well. Beautiful stuff. My parents were recently living across from Severance Hall, the home of the orchestra, so we could walk over and see some concerts. Loved it!

If you left in 3rd grade, you probably missed Ghoulardi, the corrupter of my youth - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoulardi

I mention it because of his hilarious but vicious attacks on Dorothy Fuldheim, who was even on the same channel I believe.

Fraser

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 4:30 pm    

Hi Susan! I'm a big fan of your music and your approach. I live in Western Massachusetts and am friends with Josh Burkett and circulate in that very interesting scene. I'm not sure if you play here (or plan to) much, but I was bummed to miss you at the Brick House years ago. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 6:54 pm    

Hi Andrew, I'm glad you like my music, and I am a big fan of Josh Burkett and of Mystery Train records in Amherst. Playing in Turner Falls was such a treat for me - it was one of my favorite concerts everywhere. I love the people in that western Mass music scene. Everyone seemed to know each other, they were happy to be with each other. They were not only a great audience, but really special people, many great musicians in their own right.I hope I have an opportunity to play there again sometime. When you see Josh again , please tell him I say hi.

- Mary Oliver