The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter reverb opinion
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 6:58 am    

Just wondering how good the reverb is on the ones that have it. Can you really play a gig with no additional effects? It would be great to be able to show up with the quilter and a speaker and not have to drag other stuff.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 7:32 am    

What quilter amp? My quilter micropro mach2 has a very decent reverb when turned up and the tone control on reverb is a big plus. I have used it with no outboard effects and one extension speaker with good results.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 7:43 am     Haven't bought yet

That's why I'm asking
I'm looking at a Pro block 200

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 9:49 am    

The reverbs are good enough onstage. But I dislike them (both my Pro Block and my MicroPro Mach 2) because they have a litle bit of built-in modulation. Playing alone in my studio, I keep hearing the beats and thinking I have tuning issues. Then I cut the verb and realize that that's the source. I spoke with Pat Quilter who acknowledged that he designed this into their reverb (and the large majority of guitarists seem to like it a lot) and there is nothing that can be done to change it. Like I said, it's not the kind of thing that is an issue, mixed into the music. Just a distraction in isolation.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 11:11 am     Thanx

I appreciate the tip. I don't think I would like that. I may be using an effects rack that I was hoping I wouldn't need.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 11:27 am    

Just to be extra clear, it's not like one of those reverb stomp boxes with an option for modulated reverb that sounds like Pink Floyd. But I put it side by side with a Holy Grail, a Boss RV-3 and a Digi RV-7 just to be sure I wasn't hearing something common to all digital reverbs and while they all have a small bit of bouncing reverberation, the Quilters have more 'movement' than any of those. I carry a pedalboard with a reverb onboard but if I needed to gig with the amp alone, I would.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 11:41 am    

IMO, the Steelaire has the best on-board reverb of any SS amp. I’m very finicky when it comes to reverb & l appreciate having 3 parameters (dwell, intensity & tone) to tailor the reverb sound that I like.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2020 8:39 pm     Quilter reverb opinion

When I bought my Steelaire, everybody was raving about how great the reverb sounded. I was excited that I wouldn't have to hook up my Wet Reverb stomp box. I thought the reverb was good but no match for my Wet
Reverb.The amp wasn't for me, so I sold it. Not saying it was a bad amp or reverb. it just didn't set well to my ears.

Dale Thompson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 6:36 am    

I have a Steelaire and a very nice pedal board. The pedal board gets left in the truck very often due to what I consider a great tone with the reverb in the amp. With that being said I don't use a great deal of reverb. One of the best purchases that I've made. Liked the Steelaire so much I bought a Mach 2 combo for guitar and equally satisfied.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 7:31 am    

I've had the Steelaire Combo for over 5 years and I have to say that I'm very happy with the reverb. It's just right and you don't have to carry around a stomp box.

Last edited by Dick Wood on 15 Apr 2020 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 8:27 am    

I have a Steelaire and a 202. I'm very picky about reverb. I have been very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the reverb in these two amps. It's not quite up there with the Benado Steel Dream, but I'm not sure most people could tell in a band setting.

In his posting above, Jon Light mentioned "built in modulation" and hearing "beats." I wonder if Quilter's reverb has a few milliseconds of predelay built in. The pamphlet that came with my Wet Reverb states that it has 10 milliseconds of predelay. I experimented with adding 5 to 10 milliseconds of predelay to the reverb in another effects unit and found that I like it. In some cases it eliminates the need for a separate delay pedal, but that's me.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 8:43 am    

That's an interesting thought. I really can't say.
I spent some time with it this morning, reevaluating. I was thinking and even hoping that I could come back and say 'you know, I don't know what I was thinking....'

But no. Doing typical tests like hitting a chord hard and muting it, the quality of the reverb is fine and the three knob setup on the Mach 2 is great. It's during sustained notes that I'm not happy. First reaction is to look up to see if the ceiling fan is on. Then check connections. While you are sustaining a note the reverb adds a light flutter throughout the entire length of the sustained note. Only turning down the reverb mix to next to nothing (or off) relieves this. It may or may not bother me in a band mix. But it drives me nuts at home. My stomp box reverbs do not do this.

I'm not trying to make any point or defend my experience. I'm not one of these 'big ear' people who can hear every nuance and I'm not at all a tone snob. Good enough is usually good enough for me. I'm just trying to be as precise as possible in my description of my two Quilters (which I love and gig with exclusively!).

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 4:41 pm    

Tony Glassman wrote:
IMO, the Steelaire has the best on-board reverb of any SS amp. I’m very finicky when it comes to reverb & l appreciate having 3 parameters (dwell, intensity & tone) to tailor the reverb sound that I like.

I agree I really like the tone I get by tweaking the reverb.

I'm really happy with my steelaire.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 6:52 pm    

I guess i agree with Jon. I have used the Steelaire several times, and i also heard that "modulation" as it's been called here. I know it's a digital reverb, but i never noticed it with Lexicon units, or an Evans amp among others. It wasn't distracting but i knew it was there. I went with my "Wet" stomp over the built in verb.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2020 7:20 am    

Jon Light wrote:
That's an interesting thought. I really can't say.
I spent some time with it this morning, reevaluating. I was thinking and even hoping that I could come back and say 'you know, I don't know what I was thinking....'

But no. Doing typical tests like hitting a chord hard and muting it, the quality of the reverb is fine and the three knob setup on the Mach 2 is great. It's during sustained notes that I'm not happy. First reaction is to look up to see if the ceiling fan is on. Then check connections. While you are sustaining a note the reverb adds a light flutter throughout the entire length of the sustained note. Only turning down the reverb mix to next to nothing (or off) relieves this. It may or may not bother me in a band mix. But it drives me nuts at home. My stomp box reverbs do not do this.

I'm not trying to make any point or defend my experience. I'm not one of these 'big ear' people who can hear every nuance and I'm not at all a tone snob. Good enough is usually good enough for me. I'm just trying to be as precise as possible in my description of my two Quilters (which I love and gig with exclusively!).

Jon - I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you. I certainly wasn't; just an observation. I don't hear what you described, but your ears might be better than mine. We all hear what we hear. It's all cool here.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2020 7:44 am    

Goodness no, Jim!

Jim Cooley wrote:
.....We all hear what we hear.....

.....this is everything.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 10:19 am    

The quilter reverb sounds incredible to me on my setups (steelaire). It has an EQable ambient tone pot which I love. And I love the fact that I can dial the reverb sustain (if you will) according to which venue I am playing.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 1:07 pm     surf's up!

Even though the Steelaire's reverb is really nice with the 3 settings, I REALLY love reverb and enhance it with a Catalinbread Topanga reverb pedal. It adds a little "drip" and clarity.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 1 May 2020 6:01 pm    

The reverb is excellent on the problock. I have never noticed any modulation. The one knob control gives you a lot to work with.

I would also add that the problock's gain control gives a really nice overdrive. Then throw in the limiter knob and you have compression potential as well. That's 3 really nice effects built into a tiny 200 watt amp head.

I have brought effects pedal to gigs with the problock and usually leave them off. The amp sounds really sweet on its own. I haven't found anything better to give me a big warm amp sound without necessarily blowing the roof off.

I do use a black box as well.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 May 2020 12:47 am    

Many amps that feature "on board digital reverb" are adequate. They can all carry the day. There is no reason to not use them on stage. Be your own judge.

Carry an extra rack or stand-alone pedal with you. Make a change if need be !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 2 May 2020 4:57 am    

On my Tone Block 202 and Aviator 8 I find the reverb very pleasant and certainly adequate for my needs. In my early playing years I really hosed down my sound with reverb. Really wet regardless of the room I was in. As the years went by I dried my sound out considerably so I rarely have it above 2, 3. When recording I put only a tiny amount on to give it “life”, then let the Producer add their own wetness.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.