The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dobro bar suggestion?
Lonnie Wells

The Buckeye State
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 2:39 pm    

Now we're hold up in the house a few weeks I been trying to work on my dobro playing.

I have a Shubb SP1 bar and sometimes find it a hard to control. Kind of slippery to hold on to and do slants, hammer ons and pull offs.

I've not been playing dobro very long and mainly play pedal steel. So could be just a learning curve getting use to this type bar.

I'm wondering if anyone might have suggestions on types of dobro bar you use or recommend. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 2:44 pm    

For a modern/contemporary "budget" bar, by Dunlop, Ergo (925), Lap Dawg (926) or Long Dawg (927). I think they are in the range of $25 these days.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 3:07 pm    

oh, hey a PSGer!

Shubbs and Ashers have a rounded nose on one side so you can bar track like you always have but you have to flip around to the square side to hammer on

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 3:30 pm    

For me, the SP1 is too long to feel like I’m controlling it (but I’ve never used a pedal steel bar, either). I used the SP2 for years, but now I prefer the Dunlop Lap Dawg - it’s a good weight, easy to grip, and the plating is smooth. The Long Dawg is good, too, if you prefer the extra length.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 4:09 pm    

Also coming from a pedal steel background, I could never get comfortable with a rail-type bar after learning with a bullet bar. For my acoustics and lap steels, I favor the Latch Lake (formerly Broz-O-Phonic), which is like a 3/4 size pedal steel bar.

I've read of at least one well-known pedal steel session player who used his standard bar when called on for Dobro tracks. Nobody complained.

What it all boils down to is what works best for you.

Lonnie Wells

The Buckeye State
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 4:51 pm    

thanks guys for your comments and suggestions. The Lap Dog looks good and maybe a little taller and shorter than this SP1.
Maybe that would make it a little easier to hold on to!

Jack, I play pedal steel with a zirconia bar. I love the feel and tone of it for pedal steel. I'm finding Dobro is certainly a whole different animal and technique altogether from pedal steel.

Hey Howard, I met you several years ago. When I bought my Beard dobro. I brought it over to the Beard shop and you guys installed a pickup. Thanks for the replies!

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 5:04 pm    

After using a number of reso style bars, I always go back to the feel of the Stevens...but I don't care for the chrome plating that eventually wears thru and wish somebody made that shape in stainless steel.

Sorry it's not from a PSG perspective.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 5:08 pm    

Hi Lonnie. I'm linking to a post I made a couple years ago about my concerns with the SP-1.

I took the advice of some about just getting used to it and interestingly enough, it's the one I use all the time now. I did get used to it, even though I stated in the post that it felt too long. There might be some other suggestions for similar bars in this thread too. Best luck finding the right one.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=337386&highlight=shubb

Lonnie Wells

The Buckeye State
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 4:10 pm    

Just to follow up on this, I got a new Lap Dawg bar and really like it. Good feel and much easier to handle than the Shubb longer bar at least for me. thanks again.

by the way, I ordered and have received a CD from Jimmy Heffernan titled 100 Licks for Resophonic Guitar. Lots of good bluegrass and blues licks. I have plenty to work on now during this quarenene!

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 5:40 pm    

I still use the Stevens bars. When chrome starts to go I replace them. If I lose or misplace them no big deal and I don't have to cry about all that money down the drain if I accidentally leave one at a gig. Another plus all most all music stores carry the Stevens bars not true with the more expensive ones for obvious reasons.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2020 4:55 pm    

There's also been threads about putting messy stuff like violin rosin and Gorilla Snot (that stuff drummers use on sticks) on tonebars. If i was going to try that, I think a thin strip of Plastidip would help.

There's also these, I saw these at Wintergrass but never tried one https://gregboyd.com/product-category/resophonic-parts-accessories/resophonic-slides/