The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3D printer owners- protective gear for healthcare workers
Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 9:44 am    

Heya, fellow forumites. I‘ve an off topic request which b0b has been kind enough to allow me to post here. I’m a Nurse Anesthetist at Barnes Jewish Hospital here in St. Louis & as of today, 4/7/20, we’re desperately in need of full face shields as we deal directly with the airway management of (potentially Coronavirus infected) patients. My department (Anesthesiology) is way behind on personal protective equipment (as all hospitals are) and I’ve taken to producing face shield frames myself on a 3D printer at a rate of 5/day, my drummer is at it as well, so we’re slogging it.
I’m putting out a call to all 3D printer owners (being an analytical bunch I’d assume there are a handful among our members) willing to help crank some out. We’re getting numbers now, but I think our total need will exceed 200, possibly more than 300- double or triple that if we start outfitting the ICU nurses. We’re trying to get as many if not all personnel covered ASAP. I can provide anyone interested with the 3D image files needed for any printer & gcode file if they’re using the same printer I am (Ender 3 Pro).
I know my Personal Protection Equipment committee is receiving funding, so we shouldn't have any problem reimbursing participants for cost of materials (comes out to about $0.75 in filament cost per frame). The frames are 3D printed, we just slap letter sized overhead printer sheets or donated shields on them when they arrive.
If anyone has this capability and is interested in contributing, you can reach me via PM or at yankmychain@sbcglobal.net. I currently have some time to dedicate to this project since all but urgent and emergent surgeries have been postponed, and will get back to you ASAP. I know that once my people have been outfitted, there will still be other hospitals in the St. Louis area in need and I will then shift all of my production as well as all received to a local initiative for distribution.

Thanks,
Pete McAvity

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"