The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Presonus Studio One something strange
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 9:08 am    

If anyone here uses Presonus studio one professional, I have a problem that I can't solve.
When I try to load a track from a cd disc or flash drive, it shows those locations empty.
If I upload them to my desktop, it shows up as a cda file and shortcut.
What should I do to remedy this? I have tried everything my technologicaly challenged brain can think of.
Thanks

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 10:20 am    

Hey Mike,
I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means, but I do have Studio One Pro. CDA files are a specific format (CD Audio I guess?) that has to be converted to a .wav (or MP3) before you can import into Studio One. This is commonly called 'ripping'.. I pasted a link below, it just came up first in a Google search for a CD ripper.

As for the flash drive, what file format are those audio files? I've successfully imported MP3 and .wavs by just dragging them onto Studio One. It converts MP3s on the fly, but you probably knew that.

This is one of many rippers:

https://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html?kw=wav%20to%20cda&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1Iv0BRDaARIsAGTWD1slrvs1-nOq2OXnTLzGRWtKhol8cUauTOIqgKIucGYPDGs4KM2JZTIaAh1kEALw_wcB

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 10:34 am     Re: Presonus Studio One something strange

Mike Sweeney wrote:
If anyone here uses Presonus studio one professional, I have a problem that I can't solve.
When I try to load a track from a cd disc or flash drive, it shows those locations empty.
If I upload them to my desktop, it shows up as a cda file and shortcut.
What should I do to remedy this? I have tried everything my technologicaly challenged brain can think of.
Thanks

Mike, if your not using a Mac, I'm not sure... but on a Mac... I just download the CD where they go into iTunes, and then from iTunes, I can just drag that track into Studio One where it populates the channel you drag it into... If that doesn't work for SOME strange reason I would download from the App Store or maybe GooglePlay if on Windows and get "Smart Converter" where you can drag a file and convert to whatever format i.e. WAV MP3 ACC that you'd like.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 10:34 am    

Bill is correct, the songs need to be "ripped" from the CD to be useful.

I use the free "Audiograbber" program to rip them to .wav files. There's other programs but what I've used for years.

https://filehippo.com/download_audiograbber/

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 1:34 pm    

I should have said what I was using. I'm using a pc

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 7:23 pm    

Mike Sweeney wrote:
I should have said what I was using. I'm using a pc

Mike, you can rip them from CD using Windows Media Player. You need to remember where the destination folder of the ripped files is. As stated by others. Just open a new song, go to the browser in studio one, at the top select files, find the one you want and drag it into the area where the tracks are. It should be ready to go. It's easy after you've done it a couple of times. For highly technical advice, consult with Jim Hartley. Smile

RC

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 8:49 am    

Windows has a built in ripper and all professional DAWs do too only they call it "Import" instead of rip.
You can't open it but you can import it into the program. You should be able to import it right from the CD. Once you click on import a hard drive browser will come up and you'll have to point it at the correct drive where the CD is then select the song you wish to import.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 9:18 am    

Tried to import a song off a CD in Cakewalk by Bandlab (Sonar Platinum) and Studio One 4.6 Pro.

Cakewalk has an "Import CD" and I was able to import a song off of CD direct to a track in Cakewalk.

Studio One 4.6 Pro does not have an Import from CD option. It has an import function but pointing it to the CD, it finds nothing. Thus the song would need to be ripped first.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 9:54 am    

I have never had this problem before. Could always import from cd or flash drive.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 10:20 am    

Studio One will import an MP3 off of disc. Could it be what you imported before was an MP3 and now you are trying to import a standard audio CD formatted song?

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 10:30 am    

Sometimes. Sometimes session files in 44.1/24 & 48/24

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 11:17 am    

I don't know about Studio One but a lot of programs have a menu in preferences so you can select which files it recognizes. You might check and see. It's hard to believe a $400 program doesn't recognize a CD.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 11:20 am    

It used to. But I had my computer serviced and they took some things off and replaced with other stuff and it's acting stupid.
No problem uploading files sent to me via email to overdub to. So at least there's that.
I will get it figured out.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 12:03 pm    

Sounds like it could be a device driver on the CD drive. Good luck Mike. My equipment wakes up in a different world every morning too. The most common sentence you'll hear from any audio engineer is "It was working last night."

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 12:04 pm    

Trust me, I know. This ain't my first rodeo.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2020 1:14 pm    

Quote:
It's hard to believe a $400 program doesn't recognize a CD

I have Studio One 4.6 Pro (top version). I can't find any way to import a standard audio CD song file directly into Studio One. But, it will import an MP3 file from a CD.

Here is the response on the Presonus forum to a user that asked about this:

Quote:
If you mean directly from a cd, in windows you cant. You need to rip the song to your hdd first.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 9:39 am    

According to the S1 sites, S1 does not import CDA files directly to a session. They must be converted first.

Mike, maybe visit one of the S1 Forums, see whats up !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 11:53 am    

Tony, I have Studio One 4.6 Professional (latest and top version). Studio One will import an MP3 file from disc to the program but as I noted not a CDA.

However, "lowly" Cakewalk Sonar will directly import a CDA from a disc.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 1:00 am    

Yes Jack, I think all or almost all DAW's will import MP3 or WAV files etc, I have zero experience with CDAs, I never tried, never had a reason ! Very Happy Still don't !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 6:43 am     Here's Some Background

CDA files are not audio files. Your computer can't list WAV or AIF files on an audio CD because there aren't any.

A CDA file is a shortcut that points the audio CD player to a specific location on an audio CD. The audio file starts at that location but the audio file is not a wave or aif file.

CD players are programmed to read a cda file and to follow the shortcut to the audio data location. The audio data is compiled and streamed in real time.

Audio file data is stored in a (Red Book standard) specific manner when stored on an audio CD. That protection was built into the audio CD standard to prevent content piracy. Remember, the record companies did not want people to be able to record from vinyl as easy as you can with a cassette recorder.

"Ripping" a CD is essentially the process of duplicating the steps a CD player follows with the added step of storing the audio data in a format a media player can read. A hardware or computer program reads the cda and audio data from a Redbook standard audio CD and then wraps the data into a file that meets Microsoft (wave file) or Apple (AIF file) standard.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 7:08 am    

I posted this because in the 4 years I've had it, it just started doing this. I know all about CDs files etc.. I just wondered if anyone had experienced this occurrence.
Anyway I got the ripping thing figured out.
You can close this one up.
Thanks.