The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cindy Cashdollar's Remington T-8 is for sale...
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 5:05 pm    

Buddy of mine called me yesterday morning for some info on Cindy Cashdollar's custom T-8 Remington Steelmaster. Cindy sold it to Rick Alexander, whose playing I love, then Rick sold it to another Forum member.

Eventually, it landed in the collection of my friends at the Milwaukee Guitar Collective, an amazing group of guitar lovers who donate a good potion of their profits to charity:

https://reverb.com/item/33107281-remington-steelmaster-triple-8-steel-guitar-t8-custom-made-for-cindy-cashdoller-w-ohsc-legs-black
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 5 Apr 2020 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 1:14 am    

And it has the modification I like on my Stringmasters - on off toggle switch for each neck.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 5:04 am    

The listing is incorrect. Rick died in 2009. The listing says Rick bought it in 2009 and sold it in 2014. Also it is a T8, not a D8

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 5:55 pm     Ah...

I'll tell them to fix that! Thanks for the info.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 6:04 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
The listing is incorrect. Rick died in 2009. The listing says Rick bought it in 2009 and sold it in 2014. Also it is a T8, not a D8

Right. I alerted the seller. Thanks for the heads up. I think they were typos.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 6:05 pm     Yes, Rick did that!

Jeff Mead wrote:
And it has the modification I like on my Stringmasters - on off toggle switch for each neck.

Yes, Rick did the mods. He liked to jump necks. So sorry we lost him. What a great player!

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 7:40 am    

"He then modded this steel guitar to have three on/off switches; one for each pickup. Five years later, 2014, this was sold to a private seller because Rick was downsizing"

There are inaccuracies here, and I must set them straight.

Rick was the second owner, he purchased it from Cindy in the spring of 2009. The guitar already had the 3 switches...Rick did no modifications to the guitar. He didn't have time...he passed away at the end of May.

He did use it on some gigs, and loved the guitar from day one. At the time, he would have told you it was his favorite guitar...and it was. But he loved all his guitars...they were all special to him in some way, either in how he acquired them, and others had a special little story behind them. But Cindy's guitar was a one of a kind Remington, so, 'extra' special.

The guitar left Rick's studio in 2009, not 2014. I personally put it in its case, and took it to the UPS store in late June/early July of 2009...having it packed and shipped, to its third owner.

I have no idea of the journey it took after that.

Sadly, there was no collection of his guitars to downsize in 2014. All but a few were lost in flood, (I can't remember the exact date of the flood off hand right now, but it was about a year or two after he passed in 2009). The South Florida weather can be unpredictable at times, and this was one of those rare things that happen every 50-100 years. Amps were full of water, equipment was ruined, and so were many of his guitars. A few were still intact and fine (were high up on shelves), and they were sold along with what was salvageable to a music dealer. Luckily, a few guitars did sell before the flood.

Cindy's Remington T-8 is a great guitar, and I hope it goes to someone who will play and enjoy it.

Last edited by Jeff Strouse on 7 Apr 2020 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 8:02 am    

Thanks for setting the record straight. I messaged the sellers about the fact that Rick died in 2009 but their posting still has the inaccurate information.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 9:23 am    

Mark Helm wrote:
Bill McCloskey wrote:

Right. I alerted the seller. Thanks for the heads up. I think they were typos.

While you’re at it, you might inform them that they spell Cindy’s last name correctly one time in the listing, then three other times they spell it as “Cashdoller.”

Is it just me that notices this sort of thing and it effects me like fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard?

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 9:40 am    

dusn't bothar me Mark. Laughing

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 9:57 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
dusn't bothar me Mark. Laughing

Winking

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 12:48 pm    

Jeff Strouse wrote:

Sadly, there was no collection of his guitars to downsize in 2014. All but a few were lost in flood, (I can't remember the exact date of the flood off hand right now, but it was about a year or two after he passed in 2009). The South Florida weather can be unpredictable at times, and this was one of those rare things that happen every 50-100 years. Amps were full of water, equipment was ruined, and so were many of his guitars. A few were still intact and fine (were high up on shelves), and they were sold along with what was salvageable to a music dealer. Luckily, a few guitars did sell before the flood.

ugh. What a shame. That gear I looked at so many times on his website. IIRC, Cindy had Herb rewind the George L pickups a little brighter like a Stingmaster and he later offered this option on all orders. I can't recall if this one had that or not.

Ooops just read the description of "tweaked" pickups so I guess it does!

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 7:20 pm     Bill...

Bill McCloskey wrote:
Thanks for setting the record straight. I messaged the sellers about the fact that Rick died in 2009 but their posting still has the inaccurate information.

I made sure they're changing it tomorrow... next day latest!

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 7:23 pm    

[quote="Mark Eaton"]
Mark Helm wrote:

Is it just me that notices this sort of thing and it effects me like fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard?

Drives m crazy, too! Hey-- How did Rick die so young? What a great player!

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 7:37 pm    

Rick went in for heart surgery and was in recovery....I'm not sure how long he was in, maybe two or three days,....and then sadly, he took a turn for the worse.....he is sorely missed....

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 8:20 pm     Aw....

Yes.... I really enjoyed his playing. I heard he was a sweetheart of a guy from several
people.

John Herb

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 4:30 am    

With all that being said about the floods that brings a question to mind. Is Ricks beautiful stringmaster quad still out there?

HowardR

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 10:15 pm    

I don't know about his Quad but prior to the flood, I bought his Remington T8 that he had specially made.....the color of the body and the pu covers...…BTW, all of the Remington T8s had a toggle switch for each neck - that was standard....

Last edited by HowardR on 8 Apr 2020 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

HowardR

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 10:19 pm     Re: Aw....

Mark Helm wrote:
Yes.... I really enjoyed his playing. I heard he was a sweetheart of a guy from several
people.

Rick was everybody's friend....he was very giving in every way and a true ambassador of the steel guitar....always had a friendly demeanor....

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 4:13 am    

The quad sold pre-flood...and in great condition. I feel honored to have played it. When he got the quad, it was one of those guitars in his studio that was always plugged in and ready to go!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2020 6:01 am    

They put it back up for sale without the story and at a reduced price