The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Bucky Pizzarelli
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 2:56 am    

https://www.njarts.net/music/legendary-guitarist-bucky-pizzarelli-dies-at-94/

A legend indeed who left an incredible musical legacy that lives on sin his talented sons, John and Martin.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 2 Apr 2020 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 4:34 am    

My first awareness of Bucky was on the intro of pop singer Janis Ian, at Seventeen. Then again with his work on Doug Jernigans jazz steel CDs. Great player and a true legend.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 4:52 am     Re: RIP Bucky Pizzarelli

Bucky plays some extraordinary solos on this LP for the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxFMY5eNCg

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 5:39 am    

I had the opportunity to meet and spend much of the day with Bucky back in 2008. In addition to being a great player, he was also a very nice guy. RIP.

Dave

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 10:40 am    

As he was local, I have been fortunate to see Bucky Pizzarelli over the years play with a variety of people....aside from being a top, unique, wonderful guitarist, he had a very warm and endearing personality onstage....it was always a pleasure to see him in any venue.....my mother who is 95 is also a huge fan and followed his career.....she recalls seeing him many times when she was a young lady....he lived a long and fruitful life.....RIP Bucky Pizzarelli….

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 10:41 am    

One of my favorite albums is the 1978 Flying Fish release, Doug & Bucky featuring Doug Jernigan and Bucky on 7-string guitar in unaccompanied duets.
Here are two tracks from that album"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OlDlp0t-lQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JH8jlebitk

RIP, Bucky.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 1:25 pm    

R.I.P. Johnny Buck

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 2:29 pm    

I heard Tommy White talk about these two records in an interview. Tommy's on 'em, and so is Monty Alexander, my #1 favorite piano player. The record is "rough" in terms of rehearsed execution, but that's refreshing, and man, everybody play's great.
RIP "Buck"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1Ojx83ZdU&list=RD1w1Ojx83ZdU&start_radio=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYEve1hZJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4vvLDfpZg&list=OLAK5uy_k6fMc_PGitq96vvAV6anQFjWjAXrr7XwA

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 3:45 pm    

I saw George Barnes&Bucky Pizzarelli at Town Hall in N.Y.C in about 1970 and it was the most amazing duo I'd ever seen.I was once behind Bucky on line at Mannys music,We talked,R.I.P.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 4:31 pm    

I agree with Glenn Suchan

Doug & Bucky is a great LP

Unaware if ever released as a CD

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 7:19 pm    

RIP. Perhaps my earliest Jazz Guitar influence. Long before I played steel, I was a heavy metal guitar-playing teenager. Though I knew about and appreciated Jazz, and listened to it from time to time... I never considered playing it on a guitar until I saw Bucky & John Pizzarelli on TV playing one of their unaccompanied Guitar duet shows, both on their 7-string Guitars of course. As a matter of fact, I was just watching them on YouTube a week or so ago. Great stuff! I, of course, now have 'Doug & Bucky' as well as a few of the big Dave Burley Jam Sessions (wher Bucky played rhythm guitar on at least one show, maybe more).

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2020 7:35 pm    

One more thing... Doug Jernigan later did a Jazz Steel & Guitar duet album with Brent Mason. If I remember correctly, I believe Doug once told me that he had initially wanted it to be a second album with Bucky. But, Bucky couldn't do it for one reason or another, so he decided to have Brent play on it. When I hear that CD, it seems sort-of like a 'Doug & Bucky' tribute. I can't think of the name right off, but it was done several years after "Jernigan Plays Jazz".

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 2:20 am    

I had an enjoyable chance meeting with Bucky in Germany in the '90s. He was touring there with Jimmy Cleveland, I was working in the pit-band for an 'Elvis' show.

I went to his gig and thoroughly enjoyed it. He teased me about having a b-bender on my Telecaster and I made fun of his 7-string guitar.

Happy times - RIP, Bucky.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2020 5:51 am    

Ron Funk wrote:
I agree with Glenn Suchan

Doug & Bucky is a great LP

Unaware if ever released as a CD

Yes, Ron, it was released on CD. Flying Fish Records, the label with which the original vinyl was released, was started in 1974 by Bruce Kaplan. Bruice died suddenly in 1992 and Flying Fish Records went out of business. His widow sold the label to Rounder Records. It was through that label that Doug & Bucky was re-released on CD. I don't know if the CD is still available from Rounder Records. Copies are available at an exorbitant price on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Doug+%26+Bucky&i=popular&ref=nb_sb_noss

Fortunately, it can also bought from the Apple iTunes Store.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2020 8:23 am    

Years ago I got Bucky's autobio, and wrote and asked him if he'd autograph my copy. He said he would, so I sent my copy to him pre and post paid. In a couple of weeks I got back my copy with Bucky's autograph, and his wife wrote a nice note too. I regret so much that I never got to meet him, or pick a tune with him. He was one of the best. His rhythm back up is what they say today...awesome! May he liven up the Heavenly band.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2020 1:57 pm    

Mrs. Ruth Pizzarelli, wife of jazz guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli passed away one week after her husband passed away. Both were victims of the Covid-19 virus. Mrs. Pizarelli was 89. Sincerest condolences to the Pizzarelli family.

Lauren Broido

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 10:57 pm    

Way back somewhere around 1977 or so, Bucky made a record with Doug Jernigan in Nashville. I got a call in the evening that Doug wanted to use my Vibrolux amp so I brought it to the studio Smile