The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Bill Stroud
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 9:09 am    

I first met Bill in 2007 at Bobby Reeds show in Benton IL. It was an instant friendship. I was fascinated with his tone bars and the procedure of making them. You could buy one with your birthstone in the end. The last time I seen Bill was at Bobby Reeds show in Mount Vernon IL. I had picked up one particular bar that I really liked. It was 90.00 which I couldn't afford at the time. I was packing up to head home. I went over to say goodbye when Bill handed me a little red pouch with the bar in it. I said I couldn't afford it, he said I want you to have it to remember me by. He then informed me that he had cancer and wouldn't live much longer. We hugged each other and said our final farewell. RIP my friend.

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Lee Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 9:53 am     Bill Dobkins

Bill, Thank You for Your Kind message, Yes Billy was a great man and we miss him so much He left us july 23rd 2011 , and the kindness he showed you was his everyday life . He was my very best friend , and his Bar will always be the greatest , and it is still being manufactured by Butch Gardner of Threeway Tenn. under the same great name of BJS steelguitarbars . Butch was also a great friend of BILLYS , Thank you for your response Lee johnson / steelmanlee@sbcglobal.net,

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 5:18 pm    

Bill, what a wonderful story of kindness and fellowship. BJS bars are the best and used by many of the greats. His name lives on with Butch and still the finest made.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 7:04 pm    

I too Miss Bill; as every time I grab my BJS bar to play; the kindest story always goes through my head/heart about Bill.
He made me a Awesome 15/16" 10-string bar with my "RUBY" birthstone in the tip many years ago.....>LOVED IT....Then a horrible thing happened in year 2006; I got my Car broke into and they stole everything(amps; lab steel; Chair with all pedal steel items to play in it; but didn't get my pedal steel. I had NO spare picks; bar; volume pedal; cords; amp...etc...only thing I had was my Steel and I had a gig the next day. Many guys helped me with those items; and I made the gig work....>THEN two Days later I got a little box in the mail from BJS...Bill wrote: "Ricky I am so sorry you had to go through that; and just know, I will always make you a Bar if you need one; So here is your next Bar, exactly like the one you just lost, Play on my friend".
After I stopped Crying; I pulled the bar out and started playing... This was the Most Caring/Giving Man I knew.
Thanks again Bill for who you are and I know you are resting high on that Mountain....RIP...God Bless.
Ricky

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 7:43 pm    

Through the conventions etc., I was always aware of Bill and his products. I never had opportunity to actually talk to him until the 2005 ISGC convention discussing a particular product.

I found him to be a most gracious man and we talked as if we'd known each other for years. I believe it was his wife that was with him at the booth and we all discussed some things we had in common...people, events, etc.

Yes, I had one of his bars, but I think the greatest thing about Bill Stroud was the man himself and I was sorry to hear about his cancer and subsequent passing.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 7:43 am    

Yes, he certainly was an asset to the steel guitar community, bless his loving heart. Very Happy
Erv

Lee Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 8:48 am     Bill Stroud

Yes Billy was one of the greatest men , I have ever known, His Legacy will live on through the BJS bar as butch is also a very fine gentleman and did promise Billy that he would keep his great work going on and He has done just that , I know Billy would be proud of that. I was always with Billy at the shows and I know how He loved his business and all the people of the steel guitar World, Butch Gardner is a man of like caliber. BJS That was Billy Joe Stroud We all loved Him. God Bless You. and Thanks to all Who keep His Memory and The bjs bar business Going Bless You ,,,LEE Smile Smile Smile

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 11:18 am    

He was my friend here on earth...what a blessing..'
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 6:09 pm    

Sure do miss him. Was a good friend and neighbor. Like Ricky Davis said, a good man. THink of him everytime I pick up my bar. See you one day pal.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 4:36 am    

Some great stories here!

I never met Bill in person, but he was very kind to me. I had contacted him about ordering a new bar and I mentioned in passing that I had dropped my beloved BJS on concrete and put a scratch in it. He would not let me pay for a new one, even though I had had that old one for many years and had put it through the ringer.

Just a kind and classy man. So happy that Butch is carrying on...

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

John Norris

Peterson Strobe Tuners, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 6:41 am    

Bill would show up at the Peterson factory to say Hi and have a chat on his way to his favorite chrome plating shop (location was Top Secret Wink).

He was a consummate gentleman, a kind and considerate friend to all who knew him.
I hold my BJS bar dear and feel lucky to have known him.

Jeffrey Smith

Harvest, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 6:54 pm    

I went to Bill's home once and bought a bar and an amp from him. He invited me to the Middle Tennessee Steel Guitar group's meeting. John Hughey and Buddy Emmons were there (didn't play, but they were there). I took my dad with me... he was a bass player (country) and it was one of the best shows we ever saw anywhere. Bill came over and sat with us for a while. Then Bill played, and he was really a talented player, so it was very enjoyable. My dad died in 2012, but he spoke of that trip and that show often. Bill was a real gem... we were honored to have known him.

Lee Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 3:16 pm     Billy Joe Stroud

Yes , Billy had That effect on everyone that he met, He was always positive , and he never met a stranger, . You don't meet people like him very often, One of the reasons why he was such a special Person, He was a good christian man and he followed His savior , The Lord Jesus Christ, and lived the life of a good man, I was very privileged to know him and be his friend. God Bless . Lee Johnson Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 6:36 pm    

Bill offered to replace an ancient and worn BJS bar for me that I had gotten in an old pac a seat I took on a trade. I wouldn't take it but was sure impressed that he offered. He was very nice and had the most beautiful head of hair! RIP