The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Swart amp for lap steel?
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 10:42 am    

The Swart Atomic Space Tone amp is 18 watts, all tube, lightweight, tube trem and reverb and gets rave reviews from guitar players. I play mostly clean (a little hair is ok) western swing and Hawaiian in a low volume combo. Anyone using one for lap steel? A sound or video clip would be ideal. Thanks!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 11:09 am    

A beautiful amp! Congrats, Tim.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 11:38 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
A beautiful amp! Congrats, Tim.

Thanks Jack! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. Wondering if anyone else uses a Swart amp.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 5:23 am    

Sounds like that amp might be similar to a Bogner New Yorker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9h5y2TPW0

It has such beautiful, organic, even "swampy" sound as Reinhold suggests. Really love the sound.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 5:37 am    

Yes, They do have a very similar sound and feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUm1fDKrQ4

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 8:17 am    

I received my Swart AST last week. After spending some time with it I'm afraid it is not voiced well for my Rickenbacker steel guitars. Like many guitar amps it seems to have a bit of a spike right around the 1k hz frequency. It sounds great for standard electric guitar but creates an unbearable "nail in the ear" effect with steel guitar and metal picks. I wanted to love this amp but sadly I have put it up for sale.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 12:37 pm    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
I received my Swart AST last week. After spending some time with it I'm afraid it is not voiced well for my Rickenbacker steel guitars. Like many guitar amps it seems to have a bit of a spike right around the 1k hz frequency. It sounds great for standard electric guitar but creates an unbearable "nail in the ear" effect with steel guitar and metal picks. I wanted to love this amp but sadly I have put it up for sale.

What speaker is in it? Isn’t it a Mojotone? I’ve read about people swapping the speaker for a noticeable difference. I’m not sure you want to get involved in that, but I’ve found changing speakers has the most dramatic effect and sound and response.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 5:00 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:
Tim Whitlock wrote:

What speaker is in it? Isn’t it a Mojotone? I’ve read about people swapping the speaker for a noticeable difference. I’m not sure you want to get involved in that, but I’ve found changing speakers has the most dramatic effect and sound and response.

Correct Mike - it's a Mojotone British style speaker. I have some Eminence and Fender speakers laying around. Maybe I'll try one out. Worth a shot while I wait for a buyer I suppose.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 6:50 pm    

Plugged in a 12" Eminence - no good. I'll try the Altec 418b in my Twin Reverb tomorrow.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 12:40 am    

Could it be worth trying a good EQ between the guitar and amp? Probably a graphic EQ with at least 7 bands or a parametric filter with adjustable Q.

I'm in the process of refining my live sound adding a programmable dual channel 30 band EQ to my live rig and the ability to fine tune the tone is quite amazing.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 1:36 am    

You might also try different power tubes. I think you can use either 6v6’s or 6L6’s, and it’s cathode biased (“self biased”).

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 7:11 am    

Steve Sycamore wrote:
Could it be worth trying a good EQ between the guitar and amp? Probably a graphic EQ with at least 7 bands or a parametric filter with adjustable Q.

I'm in the process of refining my live sound adding a programmable dual channel 30 band EQ to my live rig and the ability to fine tune the tone is quite amazing.

I have used a 7 band eq pedal to find troublesome frequencies. I have found that pulling down 1k hz usually calms down the icepick in the ear effect. This frequency seems to make standard guitars sound good and cut through better. It also makes my steel guitars ice picky. In general I prefer not to use eq pedals. I have other amps that sound great for steel and I had hoped this one would too.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 7:13 am    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
You might also try different power tubes. I think you can use either 6v6’s or 6L6’s, and it’s cathode biased (“self biased”).

Right! That was one of the attractions of the Swart. I guess I'll give it a try. It's a quick and easy switch.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2020 11:19 am    

The 6L6s did help! I still have to be careful not to pick too hard but controlling the top end is much more manageable - it's rounder and less spikey. The bass is much fatter, too, and the amp is overall warmer and richer sounding. I'm really surprised at the difference!