The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sheffield Pedal Steels
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 9:07 am    

I had a friend of mine contact me this afternoon, to get my opinion of the UK-built Sheffield Pedal steels. My friend is from the USA, and I told him that I would post my views on this forum in black and white.

Quite honestly, from an engineering perspective the Sheffield is as fine a guitar as one could wish for. Bearings everywhere, and so much attention to detail. The finishes are superb and each guitar is a completely bespoke build. Tone? the sustain of the Sheffield is amazing, and that applies right across the length of the fret board.

I am a little biased, as the builder (Dave Wheelhouse) lives in my home city. However, having seen his guitars progress over the years from the very start, the above description is something that I stand by.

Dave doesn't build mica covered steels, and he goes to great lengths to acquire first class wood. If you do a search on here you'll easily find some of Dave's fine creations.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 9:17 am    

When I was shopping a couple of years back I was very interested until I found out he only does 10-stringers and no keyless.

That takes nothing away from what Ken says.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 10:07 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
When I was shopping a couple of years back I was very interested until I found out he only does 10-stringers and no keyless.

That takes nothing away from what Ken says.

One thing that I forgot to add is that Dave is a one man builder, who builds these instruments in his spare time. He has a day job - and plays as a weekend warrior. His isn't tooled up to make all variations like 12 stringers and keyless (sorry Ian), but he can build SD10s and D10s.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 10:28 am    

Understood, Ken.