The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CCleaner Browser PUP
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 6:24 am    

I installed a CCleaner update as per usual. I am usually very careful with this and I definitely did uncheck 'Make CCleaner Browser your default....etc...'. But the creeps did install the browser. I have manually uninstalled it. Since I use the freeware version, I can't imagine they care that they have pissed me off.

I guess the only question is -- did I miss the uncheck box or are have they changed and they are now just throwing the PUP at you with no warning? Anyone else find themselves with the browser installed after an update, recently?

If so, is there a different, less evil, cleaner anyone recommends? I don't live & die by cleaner programs but I like doing the occasional maintenance.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 11:03 am    

There was (maybe still is) a big thread on the www.tenforums.com about CCleaner and its unwanted bloatware.

I'm using an old version that doesn't have the crapware and refuse to update.

Wise disc cleaner was mentioned as an alternative.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 11:48 am    

Thanks Jack. I never stopped to consider that not being malware or virus protection, it doesn't need to be scrupulously up to date.
Well, having uninstalled the browser, no reason not to keep using CC. I'll just ignore future updates.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2020 2:20 am    

One of the items is auto update. The old version I have has an option to disable that. Check yours and disable it. Same way with the startup, disable it in the startup.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2020 4:45 am    

Good call. Pretty sure I'd disabled 'auto' in the past but I could imagine that on every manual update it defaults to auto again. Just checked and it was indeed set for auto. No mo.