The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Charley Pride in Person (Panther Hall) 2 LP tracks not on CD
Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 8:39 am    

While I was anticipating hearing Lloyd at the TSGA show last week I decided to spin "In Person" (AKA Panther Hall) - a record I've listened to countless times. I noticed it was on Spotify so I played it there and I was amazed and delighted to see 2 tracks and some stage banter I'd never heard! "The Last Thing On My Mind" and "Shutters and Boards" - songs not previously heard on my copy of the CD. Thought they were new but I'm learning they are not!

Last edited by Jon Hyde on 18 Mar 2020 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 8:57 am    

Both The Last Thing On My Mind and Shutters And Boards are on my original LP as the leadoff tracks on Side One and Side Two respectively. An absolutely fabulous record; a true E9 classic.

Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 9:20 am    

Oh interesting! I have a downloaded CD copy that does not have those tracks!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 9:35 am    

fake news.

but Lloyd and others have mentioned that there was plenty more material they performed and recorded that could have been included on an expanded edition or second volume. unfortunately that will probably never happen.

bonus tracks were included on Buck Owens' Live In London ('69) CD a few years back. it's Jay Dee on that one, and another one of my all-time favorite live albums

Last edited by scott murray on 18 Mar 2020 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 10:08 am    

There were a couple of different issues of the CD. I recall hearing of this fact (the missing cuts). Glad that my issue was complete -- can't imagine the set without Last Thing On My Mind.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 10:38 am    

Yea, great album--definitely on my list to transfer to CD.

Looking at my album that shows the length of each song--it looks like it would be roughly 35 minutes or more--that's total time! A standard CD can take up to 80 minutes of songs burned--I know this as I do it all the time. So, maybe those 2 particular songs caused some haggling over the "RIGHTS" of the songs that we have seen over the years in the music industry, which could involve such things as--contracts, recording companies, etc.?

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 5:09 pm    

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 3:53 am    

One of the greatest live albums of all time!

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 7:03 am    

Joe Wright was his steel player for a time. On stage, as he was also a fine singer, he played Chrystal Chandeliers and he wanted the audience to join in on the chorus. It started off nice till it faded as the lyrics became a little tricky.
He laughed and said that the Aboriginees knew every word of it when Mr.Pride toured the outbacks of Australia.
And for the unreleased material, I think Bear Family in Germany could make it happen.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 4:47 pm    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Joe Wright was his steel player for a time. On stage, as he was also a fine singer, he played Chrystal Chandeliers and he wanted the audience to join in on the chorus. It started off nice till it faded as the lyrics became a little tricky.
He laughed and said that the Aboriginees knew every word of it when Mr.Pride toured the outbacks of Australia.
And for the unreleased material, I think Bear Family in Germany could make it happen.

Yes I remember Joe talking about his trips to Australia with Charley, he said there was nothing in the world like seeing an audience of dark skinned people with red hair. I checked and yes many aboriginal Australians do have red hair, which is rare among people that are not of Northern European descent, and it wasn't a trait acquired from Europeans either, that is what the genetics said. Joe said the aboriginal children had portable phonographs and would play Charley's record until the record was worn out, and then go buy another of the same record.